Mack Trivia

Hi I'm a novice here on MACK. What can you guys tell me about this truck Engine Trans rears lockers etc. All the seller could tell me was its a 1974. I think its A DM? Can Any body tell me what common problems (king pins leaks etc) with this MACK model. I wanted something nice to restore and do some PT site work. LOL.

Thanks

post-6774-093478700 1283475540_thumb.jpg

post-6774-095525800 1283475575_thumb.jpg

post-6774-057333600 1283475607_thumb.jpg

Hi I'm a novice here on MACK. What can you guys tell me about this truck Engine Trans rears lockers etc. All the seller could tell me was its a 1974. I think its A DM? Can Any body tell me what common problems (king pins leaks etc) with this MACK model. I wanted something nice to restore and do some PT site work. LOL.

Thanks

Yes it's a DM, probably a 685S. most common engine would be a 237 2 valve and the most common trans would be the six speed with two sticks.

From the pictures you can tell it has the 20k front axle. Can't tell what the rears are, ask him if they are either 5 or 6 spoke. 5 would be 38k and six 44k.

Pretty much a bullet proof truck, great as a site truck. If it has the Mack front axle( which it probably does) the king pins are adjustable.

As far as leaks, the most common are the valve covers.

Yes it's a DM, probably a 685S. most common engine would be a 237 2 valve and the most common trans would be the six speed with two sticks.

From the pictures you can tell it has the 20k front axle. Can't tell what the rears are, ask him if they are either 5 or 6 spoke. 5 would be 38k and six 44k.

Pretty much a bullet proof truck, great as a site truck. If it has the Mack front axle( which it probably does) the king pins are adjustable.

As far as leaks, the most common are the valve covers.

I have seen a lot of older trucks on this site with alum wheels. Do you know whats in volved in swapinping from the steel?

I have seen a lot of older trucks on this site with alum wheels. Do you know whats in volved in swapinping from the steel?

What was the production run on that 237 engine. I was thinking about the Twin Stick Can that be swapped for an 8spd? Any thoughts Its just about time to start moving salt at night and I need to play during the day.

Thanks and have a nice weekend every one!

What was the production run on that 237 engine. I was thinking about the Twin Stick Can that be swapped for an 8spd? Any thoughts Its just about time to start moving salt at night and I need to play during the day.

Thanks and have a nice weekend every one!

the 237 had a run from 1966 to the early 80's. great motor lots of torque. the six speed can be swapped out for any other mack trans or any eaton but you have to also get a mack bell housing and do some drive shaft adjusting with either swap.

if it has the dayton hubs(spokes) it's about $2300 to change the rears over to hub pilot, less if you can find used parts. if it has stud pilot then you will need to get longer inner studs.

if it has the dayton hubs(spokes) it's about $2300 to change the rears over to hub pilot, less if you can find used parts. if it has stud pilot then you will need to get longer inner studs.

The truck pictured definitely has Dayton/spoke hubs. The hubs would have to be changed to accept any kind of aluminum disc or "Budd" wheel. Not worth the trouble IMHO. Why buy the truck only to change all the components?!? These DMs were bulletproof as built, very well engineered. If the components don't suit you, it would be more practical to find another truck.

That looks like a very nice, straight DM. These trucks are rock solid, and pretty good looking just the way that they came from the factory.

I second the idea that changing the components is probably just wasted time.

Shine it up and put it to work!!

It appears to be very well set-up with the two air lift axles and the heavy duty dump box.

Good Luck!!

Paul Van Scott

Why would you want to do that with a jobsite truck?

Weight is not a consideration, as "Smokey's" don't enforce weight rules "off road", and why have shiny aluminum wheels if you're just gonna drag 'em thru the mud all day?

Nicely painted Dayton style hubs & wheels look just fine, and they're less maintenance intensive. Also, Dayton type wheels are stronger if you're going to be doing off road work with heavy loads.

I just don't get it when some people buy older Macks and the first question they ask is about putting aluminum wheels on it.

:pat:

"If You Can't Shift It Smoothly, You Shouldn't Be Driving It"

Why buy the truck only to change all the components?!? These DMs were bulletproof as built, very well engineered. If the components don't suit you, it would be more practical to find another truck.

I'll second that!

Very well put!

"If You Can't Shift It Smoothly, You Shouldn't Be Driving It"

Absolutely, what Paul and Underdog said. Mack used to put a lot of thought into their setups, even the gear shift knobs,

and what Herb said...sorry, I got a call from Old Bill, my hero, the greatest truck driver ever, and quite possibly the greatest living human being.

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.