Cruise Control?

Ok, i have seen this in listings before, but now i just gotta ask. Here is a listing from truck paper:

http://www.truckpaper.com/listingsdetail/detail.aspx?OHID=2474689

In the description section, it mentions "cruise" which I assume means cruise control. From the badly angled interior shot, i cannot see a stick shift. Does this mean that this truck has a 13 speed automatic transmission? I don't believe I have ever heard of a cruise control on a manual transmission vehicle, but i also thought that most of the automatic transmission macks were garbage/roll off trucks.

I am sure this is a stupid question, but that never stopped me before.

Thanx.

LOOK AGAIN! you can clearly see the shifter, red button and all. Have you checked your spark plugs or changed your clutch plate latley? and dont forget check gearbox problems if any...... bobo

p.s. as for the cruise I wish there was. I use a brick held on with a rubber band to the pedal, so I can slip it of quickly when I'm down shifting.

Ok, i have seen this in listings before, but now i just gotta ask. Here is a listing from truck paper:

In the description section, it mentions "cruise" which I assume means cruise control. From the badly angled interior shot, i cannot see a stick shift. Does this mean that this truck has a 13 speed automatic transmission? I don't believe I have ever heard of a cruise control on a manual transmission vehicle, but i also thought that most of the automatic transmission macks were garbage/roll off trucks.

Thanx.

Yup, manual trans. w/ cruise. Works great on mine. Turn cruise on (one button) at speed, hit set, ride along. Can hit button to increase or decrease speed. Touck brake or clutch pedal and cruise kicks out.

Ran a dump truck with it. Sloppy muddy area, 1st gear, 1800 RPM, hit cruise and walked right thru. Other trucks trying to keep steady with the pedal would hit a rut or bump and truck would jump and bounce and die. Driver has to get out and hook chain from dozer.

post-4436-030400000 1283368883_thumb.jpg

Success is only a stones throw away.................................................................for a Palestinian

3:30 rear-end ratio...? That's awfully tall...might be able to touch 120mph with that one, though on a down hill.

I see it's another '04 with 300-400,000 miles on it... run away.

Ever wonder how a blind person knows when to stop wiping?

gallery_1977_876_21691.jpg

Thanx.

Automatic transmissions are getting more and more popular, especially with large fleets. I suppose fleets are increasingly spec'ing trucks with automatics is that they can throw any driver into the truck. I know a few owner/operators that have changed to Allison transmissions and they swear by them.

"Mebbe I'm too ugly and stupid to give up!"

Thanx.

Manual transmission vehicles have had cruise control for a long time. Every semi tractor I've ever driven has had cruise...and all but one have been manual transmissions. My '96 F250 is a manual transmission w/ cruise control. Grandpa had an 86 Tempo w/ a manual transmission and cruise....traded that in for a '95 Contour that had a manual transmission and cruise.

Only difference is that with an auto, the trans will downshift for you. With a manual, you have to be paying attention because if it starts to lug going up a hill, the cruise will turn itself off. On a Mack, just take up the free play in the clutch to disengage the cruise, bump the throttle to make your shift, and then release the clutch again and the cruise turns back on. That caught me by surprise when I first bought my truck because I was used to a freightshaker where tapping the clutch pedal would turn off the cruise until you reached back up and hit the dash switch to turn it back on.

When approaching a 4-way stop, the vehicle with the biggest tires has the right of way!

No,its a manual 13 spd. if you look closely,you can see the shifter/splitbutton (its hard to see,as its the same color as the interior) like rowdy said,just about every truck i've ever driven has been a manual trans.with cruise,nothing un-common about that,been around a long time..............Mark

Mack Truck literate. Computer illiterate.

Automatic transmissions are getting more and more popular, especially with large fleets. I suppose fleets are increasingly spec'ing trucks with automatics is that they can throw any driver into the truck. I know a few owner/operators that have changed to Allison transmissions and they swear by them.

Couple guys i work with have automatics,one swears by his,the other swears AT his!.....me personally,i can see some merit in an automatic,just not for me,i still like to do my own thinking! but you are right,an auto.trans is a big recruitment perk for new drivers,i'd be curious to see what an allison (or comparable) does to the resale on a class 8 truck, up or down? I looked at a used CX-613 a few years ago when i was entertaining the thought of putting on a second truck, it was really clean,well maintained,new tires,the works......but ended up walking away just because it had an eaton autoshift...........Mark

Mack Truck literate. Computer illiterate.

Guy I work with pretty regularly has an '07 (I believe) CH 'rawhide' daycab...super super sharp lookin truck with what he says is an Allison auto. The company he works for bought it used from the Mack dealer here and he loves it...but he went from an ant-eater K-whopper to that...so... I remember going and looking at it and had I had $75,000 laying around I'da bought it.

Ever wonder how a blind person knows when to stop wiping?

gallery_1977_876_21691.jpg

Couple guys i work with have automatics,one swears by his,the other swears AT his!.....me personally,i can see some merit in an automatic,just not for me,i still like to do my own thinking! but you are right,an auto.trans is a big recruitment perk for new drivers,i'd be curious to see what an allison (or comparable) does to the resale on a class 8 truck, up or down? I looked at a used CX-613 a few years ago when i was entertaining the thought of putting on a second truck, it was really clean,well maintained,new tires,the works......but ended up walking away just because it had an eaton autoshift...........Mark

We had a customer that bought a used CH613 (probably 2000-2001 model year) with an Eaton autoshift. It wasn't very long before we pulled it and replaced it with a manual transmission. There's a big difference between automatic and automated, I for one am curious what will happen once Mack introduces the volvo iShift (relabeled mDrive) transmission. I think they may have it out now, can't remember the production dates.

"Mebbe I'm too ugly and stupid to give up!"