B Model Steering Wheel

Finally got the dang center ornament off. Yes I had to force it alittle, so I broke off one shoulder of the rubber piece. Thought it might be silicone sealer holding it down but none was present. No wiring for the electric horns. I did pour alcohol down the area to be affected thinking it would help in getting the silicone to loosen up. There was no way in knowing since the area is only a couple of thousands from the wheel. So where there were breaks in the wheel is where I took a screwdriver to hold it up so it would not keep falling down and get hungup each time I needed to get a rubber dent puller mounted to the center ornament. Anyway I got-r done.

My question is....there is a large center nut and no way of putting a puller on the wheel so how do you get the wheel off in this setup? I know I can do it, just want to hear your version to see if it jives with mine. Here are the results thus far.

post-900-008363600 1282913481_thumb.jpg

post-900-048599800 1282913503_thumb.jpg

Top picture-is that hole there for a reason? Thinking that a screw might go in there and the shaft has a notch that the screw goes thru. A reduntant feature to avoid steering wheel/shaft seperation.

Success is only a stones throw away.................................................................for a Palestinian

Top picture-is that hole there for a reason? Thinking that a screw might go in there and the shaft has a notch that the screw goes thru. A reduntant feature to avoid steering wheel/shaft seperation.

HatCity, mornin......about the holes in the steering wheel.....my thoughts last night when I was looking at it, makes me feel that someone has drilled these holes. They serve no purpose, no screws were there to loosen anything. My guess someone tried to get the wheel off or like me was looking for a better way to get the center emblem off without breaking a rubber tab that holds it on. My guess that i'll need to use a puller with 2 by 4's under the wheel or something equivilent. It amazes me how tough the old wheel is that a plastic will hold to it for this many years.

mike

The large nut on my B (and most all steering wheels) holds the wheel to the shaft. The inside of the wheel and outside of trhe shaft are splined. Loosen the nut 5 or 6 full turns and pull the wheel. With the puller use the appropriate piece on the end so the steering shaft isn't damaged. I've also put pressure unbder the wheel with my knees and given the wheel a few good raps and sometimes it'll pop with out the puller. Than remove the nut all the way off and take off the wheel. The only thing I notice is your shaft has a much larger center hole bored in it then mine. Paul

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

I'd heard all the storys of the problems of getting the wheels off of macks. When I went to take the one off my H67, it was too easy. Hron button was already broken, and had been put on with silicone-- loose already. I took the nut off and soaked it with PB Blaster for a week. I tried the knees, and hitting under the spokes with wood and a hammer. No luck. Then I hit the little piece of metal, that sticks out close to the tube, under the wheel. 2 hits on one side, then when I hit the other side , it jumped right off. Luck?