With Maaco-you get what you pay for. Although they are known for inexpensive paint jobs, sometimes they are cheap.

Also, those adverts. are for painting ONLY. No prep, sanding, and very little taping.

Better to spend some extra$, and go to a good body shop.

Rob is talking about opening his shop again. Get over there and get in line.

Success is only a stones throw away.................................................................for a Palestinian

HatCity is correct about Maaco. I've seen there work on inexpensive paint and body jobs. Better off doing it yourself and borrowing a spray gun, masking tape, sanding discs, and newspaper and also doing it outside in the elements than farming it to an economy shop.

Make sure you get at least 3 or 4 estimates from different shops. The sky is the limit on costs. Any shop needs to see what the truck looks like so they can determine the cost for your truck.

Much Luck

mike :SMOKIE-LFT:

We have a local MAACO that paints trucks,they painted a 1950 L model Fire truck in 2002 for $2500, the truck still looks good. (now called RAMCO in Norristown,PA)

I just had a car painted the the same shop that painted the L model and the car really looks good. It cost $775. Now my wife want's her car painted!

Some of the MAACO's are real slick operators and do scuff and squirt, others will actually do a decent job. I interviewed 3 paint shops and selected the best one. I also looked at their paint jobs on trucks before I made the selection, so I could see the end product and if they were proud of their work.

Firemack

Joco, He's probably waiting for your call right now. You can rub noses with him at rob@autoaffair.net He might give senior discounts also if you can prove your age......right Rob?

mike :rolleyes:

Used to be: rob@autoaffair.com. I still have the website but is silent. I can be reached at robsautoaffair.com most anytime.

I too have seen good and bad jobs from Maaco. They are a franchised outfit with each branch individually owned, (or used to be). I know the material they use, the methods used to apply those materials, and the typical "quality" of the employees. I've been in this business many years and don't typically "talk down" anybody else's work but do keep in mind that you get what you pay for.

Let it suffice to say that most employees of this establishment do have difficulty gaining, or retaining meaningful employment within other automotive collision repair facilities. In all fairness: Maaco does employ many individuals with zero to little experience but we all have to start somewhere. It is difficult to gain experience if no one will give you a shot to prove yourself.

While I have been "journeyman" status in this industry for over 35 years and actively tried to employ inexperienced help for the shop, (with an ever watchfull eye) it's my name on job so it had to be right, or redone. Most of the chain shops, (like this one) don't oversee employees and it really don't matter if the material is sprayed, or applied with a long nap roller; It's painted just the same.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Jocko,i agree with rob on this subject, i also have seen good and bad work come out of so called "production" shops such as maaco. They normally do hire in-expierienced people to keep the costs low, but of course quality suffers. I have been doing paint/bodywork more or less as a hobby for 20 plus years,and if i were in your situation,what i would do is search out a reputable local bodyshop,talk to them,employees etc. chances are you will find someone willing to take on a project like this as a "sidejob" ie: time,materials,labor..in essense the more you can do yourself as far as prep work etc. the less the job will cost you. MOST guys that do body and paint work are proud of what they have done,so chances are you will have a "portfolio" to look at of previous jobs. There is also the option of vocational school part time,which is the route i took, a lot can be learned in a short time if someone is willing to learn....just a suggestion..i recently repainted the bumper cover on my CX,and my pickup about 5 years ago with good results for not being professionally trained.....Mark

post-5836-035192600 1282002498_thumb.jpg

post-5836-078312900 1282002532_thumb.jpg

Mack Truck literate. Computer illiterate.