Ambac Pump Socket ?

Fastduramax

Can anyone tell me where I can get the socket to remove the "anti tamper" bolt from the top cover of the pump ?

Best I remember and it's been 15 years ago, I used a small long chisle to make a screwdriver slot in the top of the bolt and then use a screw driver bit in a 1/4" ratchet to remove it. One time I cut the heads off with a dremel cant really remember how I got the dremel in there though? I then went to Lowes/Home Depot and replaced the screws/bolts with allen headed screws. I remember doing the Robert Bosch pumps that way all the time. The AMBAC's were nearly the same.

Best I remember and it's been 15 years ago, I used a small long chisle to make a screwdriver slot in the top of the bolt and then use a screw driver bit in a 1/4" ratchet to remove it. One time I cut the heads off with a dremel cant really remember how I got the dremel in there though? I then went to Lowes/Home Depot and replaced the screws/bolts with allen headed screws. I remember doing the Robert Bosch pumps that way all the time. The AMBAC's were nearly the same.

I've always taken the head off with a carbide burr in a die grinder leaving only the stud or shank of the capscrew. Vacume the hole clean and remove the balance of the screws, then remove the stud.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Yup center punch it out and cut a slot in it for a screw driver.

Thanks guys, here is the deal with mine.... There is only one anti tamper bolt in my pump and the rest are hex.... I tried the dremel trick before I posted, problem is the bolt is resessed into the cap so far that you have to use such a tiny cutting wheel you cant cut a bug enough slot into the bolt to get a screwdriver to bite ! Thats why I was wondering if someone knew where to get the special socket to remove the bolt....

Thanks guys, here is the deal with mine.... There is only one anti tamper bolt in my pump and the rest are hex.... I tried the dremel trick before I posted, problem is the bolt is resessed into the cap so far that you have to use such a tiny cutting wheel you cant cut a bug enough slot into the bolt to get a screwdriver to bite ! Thats why I was wondering if someone knew where to get the special socket to remove the bolt....

Same problem I've experienced. Then the screw is so soft it twists out or deforms badly enough that you have to take the head off anyway. Couple of them I've had apart have had Loctite applied to the threads. A 5/6th's carbide burr goes right down the hole and hardly any pressure is needed as the metal is soft. Too much pressure and the bit wants to walk around and that can destroy the aluminum cap on short order.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.