13 Speed Eaton Help

cheech147

Can anyone give me an educated guess on a problem I have before going to a garage with it. I have a 78 Mack F Model. It has 160,000 original miles. Came from factory with a 290 Cummins and a thirteen speed Eaton. Was used as a tractor to pull a lowboy most of it's life and is geared real low. I've owned it for the past 10 years and it runs fine except for one problem. It has been in need of a clutch brake since I bought it, but my mechanic suggested waiting until it needs clutch replacement. Shifter is a bit sloppy but shifts fine, up and down, until it really warms up. Then it's like fighting with it to get it in and out of gears, both shifting without clutch and double clutching. Any ideas on why this is happening?

Can anyone give me an educated guess on a problem I have before going to a garage with it. I have a 78 Mack F Model. It has 160,000 original miles. Came from factory with a 290 Cummins and a thirteen speed Eaton. Was used as a tractor to pull a lowboy most of it's life and is geared real low. I've owned it for the past 10 years and it runs fine except for one problem. It has been in need of a clutch brake since I bought it, but my mechanic suggested waiting until it needs clutch replacement. Shifter is a bit sloppy but shifts fine, up and down, until it really warms up. Then it's like fighting with it to get it in and out of gears, both shifting without clutch and double clutching. Any ideas on why this is happening?

It sounds kind of like the clutch may have worn into the splines on the input shaft. I have seen that happen before on Eatons with the same result, but they were hard to shift at all times, not just when warmed up. Here is a link to the Roadranger hardshifting diagnostic flowchart: http://www.roadranger.com/ecm/idcplg?IdcService=GET_FILE&dID=276861

"Mebbe I'm too ugly and stupid to give up!"

It sounds kind of like the clutch may have worn into the splines on the input shaft. I have seen that happen before on Eatons with the same result, but they were hard to shift at all times, not just when warmed up.

Hello, kenworths are bad for cables binding, is it cable or linkage set up? I would drop cables or likage off box when cold and see how free box area is, then do same when hot, this will atleast tell you if its in or out the box that is is the problem.

Grant

It sounds kind of like the clutch may have worn into the splines on the input shaft. I have seen that happen before on Eatons with the same result, but they were hard to shift at all times, not just when warmed up. Here is a link to the Roadranger hardshifting diagnostic flowchart: http://www.roadrange...FILE&dID=276861

Sounds to me you need to have the clutch replaced as Rhasler said splines or the plate springs are falling to bits inside or its simple worn out , by the sound of things it dosent owe you much!Clutch brakes usually don't fail unless there being abused IE : clutch pushed to the floor while rolling in gear , or the clutch haning up inside!

As been stated it would be the clutch or you. If it worked fine at one time it would not be you so its clutch time. Even if the clutch lineage or cable was bad you still should be able to get out of gear easy. Most guys dont push the clutch down any way. Could be center disc binding but any way clutch time.If you shift with the clutch then it could be in the adjustment.

glenn akers