E6-300 1988 Vintage Smoking

stev

It has been pointed out to me that my 1988 R688T smokes a bit more than is considered proper.

I rally don't even know where to begin, to be honest. This is not the first diesel i have owned, but i have never run into an issue like this before, so I am at a loss as to how to proceed.

This is not smoking like a stack at a coal plant, but it is visible coming out of the pipe. The engine starts right up, has plenty of power, and doesn't hesitate.

Thanx.

Is the smoke blue or black? Blue smoke is an indicator of oil consumption. Black smoke usually indicates too much fuel. Is the power turned up? Black accleration smoke could mean the puff limiter needs adjusting. Bad injector?

Ken

PRR Country and Charter member of the "Mack Pack"

It has been pointed out to me that my 1988 R688T smokes a bit more than is considered proper.

I rally don't even know where to begin, to be honest. This is not the first diesel i have owned, but i have never run into an issue like this before, so I am at a loss as to how to proceed.

This is not smoking like a stack at a coal plant, but it is visible coming out of the pipe. The engine starts right up, has plenty of power, and doesn't hesitate.

Thanx.

Number one, what color smoke is it? Number two, have you noticed any change in performance, use of oil , fuel, etc? Number three, what engine do you have?

"Mebbe I'm too ugly and stupid to give up!"

Number one, what color smoke is it? Number two, have you noticed any change in performance, use of oil , fuel, etc? Number three, what engine do you have?

I believe the title states-1988 E-6 300

air filter changed recently? maybe it needs one (if black smoke)

Success is only a stones throw away.................................................................for a Palestinian

Thanx.

As stated we will be better able to help you out if you give us more details smoke color being the most important change out the air cleaner for starters if you havent done so already are you using oil ? do you have exsesive bloby? You may have boost leaks!

As stated we will be better able to help you out if you give us more details smoke color being the most important change out the air cleaner for starters if you havent done so already are you using oil ? do you have exsesive bloby? You may have boost leaks!

The smoke is black, not blue, and is a lot more noticeable under acceleration. It does not appear to be using oil, nor does it appear that the fuel consumption has gone up.

Is it possible that it is dirty injectors? Is there something you folks recommend that i can put into the fuel to clean them out?

If I needed a new air filter, would that show up with loss of power under acceleration (starving the engine of air)? I am not seeing anything that would indicate the engine is losing power when am starting from ma stop.

How would I check the adjustment on the power and puff limiter, as farmer52 suggested it might be?

I also noticed that the fuel i am getting now almost looks like beer, it has a yellow tinge to it. The station says that it is just "summer blend". Might this be contributing to the issue?

Steve, If you have the manual fuel shut off like my 88 R model, pull the engine shut off out about half way, then give it full throttle,if there is less black smoke chances are someone turned up the pump. On my truck the puff only works when the air brake button is released,when my brakes are on the puff does not work.you could take the air line off the puff valve an see if it has been blocked off, if not, and if its a puff valve like mine just change it ther not that $$$ my motor is a EM 6 350 4V head American Bosch Pump BULLHUSK