Drag Link End Broke

BIGMAC

How's it going guy's ? Quick question has anyone had a draglink coming off the pitman arm break ? I had one break pulling of the scale @ the quarry, as I was pulling away I go to take a right & I noticed the steering get real light and easy, & the truck went straight, so I got out & opened the hood & the drag link was just hanging down...I just about fainted, could you of imagined what would of happened if I was on the highway or something going faster than 5 mph...By the way this was a 88' R-Model Tri-Axle dump...Just wanted to see if anyone else had a similiar experience

How's it going guy's ? Quick question has anyone had a draglink coming off the pitman arm break ? I had one break pulling of the scale @ the quarry, as I was pulling away I go to take a right & I noticed the steering get real light and easy, & the truck went straight, so I got out & opened the hood & the drag link was just hanging down...I just about fainted, could you of imagined what would of happened if I was on the highway or something going faster than 5 mph...By the way this was a 88' R-Model Tri-Axle dump...Just wanted to see if anyone else had a similiar experience

I've seen it happen but it has always been related to extremely loose joints, or impact. There is an adjustable nut in the end of the drag link where it mounts to the pitman arm. This needs to be kept snug, and greased to keep the arm from "popping off" as you experienced. If it has popped off you will probably need to rebuild the end, or replace it as the socket and ball are worn.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

I've seen it happen but it has always been related to extremely loose joints, or impact. There is an adjustable nut in the end of the drag link where it mounts to the pitman arm. This needs to be kept snug, and greased to keep the arm from "popping off" as you experienced. If it has popped off you will probably need to rebuild the end, or replace it as the socket and ball are worn.

Rob

That sounds about right the guy never greased a thing on that truck...He was one of these "as long as the trucks shiny" type of guy's who only cared that you looked good when you were broke down :unsure:

I sure that is a non serviceable drag link, replace it with a new one.

FW

I'm quite sure you are right. My newest truck is a 1978 and they all have the repairable type end on them.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

I've also seen it happen, and the results aren't pretty!

With the old serviceable type ends it's usually caused by the spring breaking between the adjusting screw and the cup that rides on the ball stud. That allows the cup to back away from the ball and the link can come off the ball.

A 1988 would have the non serviceable drag link, and as Rob said, the main cause of failure on those is lack of lubrication over time, which causes extreme wear of the joints, allowing the joints to get so loose that the link eventually can pop off the ball stud(s).

I'll never understand the mentality that leads to lack of lubrication on critical parts.

Grease is cheaper than parts and it is much easier to install.

"If You Can't Shift It Smoothly, You Shouldn't Be Driving It"

With the old serviceable type ends it's usually caused by the spring breaking between the adjusting screw and the cup that rides on the ball stud. That allows the cup to back away from the ball and the link can come off the ball.

A 1988 would have the non serviceable drag link, and as Rob said, the main cause of failure on those is lack of lubrication over time, which causes extreme wear of the joints, allowing the joints to get so loose that the link eventually can pop off the ball stud(s).

I'll never understand the mentality that leads to lack of lubrication on critical parts.

I wonder if it would of been a good idea to just change the drag link let's say every 5 yrs or so, just a suggestion for piece of mind

I wonder if it would of been a good idea to just change the drag link let's say every 5 yrs or so, just a suggestion for piece of mind

If the draglink is adjustable (as in the case of the later RD chassis) replacing the draglink, or even just the worn end, requires readjustment of the draglink. This needs to be done so that it does not cause the steering gear to be out of the center of it's travel. If the gear is not centered it has a natural tendency to try to return to normal (it's high spot), which in operation can cause the perception of a pull in the steering as well as tire wear. On non-adjustable draglinks this is not a problem due to the fact that they are manufactured to a controlled length. I have to agree with HK that an ounce of prevention is better than a pound of cure.

"Mebbe I'm too ugly and stupid to give up!"

And in this case, if it happened ten minutes later, would have been veeerrrrry expensive.( Think lawyers and such )

Success is only a stones throw away.................................................................for a Palestinian

Hi, its funny they fall apart most of the time in a yard, we had one come in from the mine and it had been pulling triples every day, it was un hooked and backed into its parking spot and was serviced a week before and the steering joint had fallen out and landed on the ground as he got out of the cab. how luck is that.

Grant

Hi, its funny they fall apart most of the time in a yard, we had one come in from the mine and it had been pulling triples every day, it was un hooked and backed into its parking spot and was serviced a week before and the steering joint had fallen out and landed on the ground as he got out of the cab. how luck is that.

Grant

Thank God this shit happens when your in the yard or quarry or somewhere that your not going 65mph