Gday everyone how are we? I just got my R615 V8 flinstone goin today. It hasnt turned a wheel for around 15 years and although its not quite complete we took it for a run down the road. What a champion of a thing! Its got the END864A engine, TRQ722O quad box and 44000" pound diffs at 8.24-1 ratio. Very slow! My speedo isnt working yet, does anyone know what speed i will get with that running gear? Ive included a photo of her back in its hey day. Will post more soon, Skip.

post-1795-033499800 1279268008_thumb.jpg

Gday everyone how are we? I just got my R615 V8 flinstone goin today. It hasnt turned a wheel for around 15 years and although its not quite complete we took it for a run down the road. What a champion of a thing! Its got the END864A engine, TRQ722O quad box and 44000" pound diffs at 8.24-1 ratio. Very slow! My speedo isnt working yet, does anyone know what speed i will get with that running gear? Ive included a photo of her back in its hey day. Will post more soon, Skip.

Hi, good to here its getting there. where was that pic taken?

Grant

Would think not much over 40 MPH. Terry

Hello, where was that pic taken? atleast you have it driving again.

Grant

Gday mate how are ya? Its from Tassie so I would think Hobart because it has a big dock area for freight ships. It spent its first 25 years or so in Tassie. It has certainly been worked well, and I dont think it wouldve carted too many legal loads. Its great to have it going again, its starting to look alright and hopefully it will create a bit of interest up at Alice Springs for the big reunion. Are you going? Or do you know any blokes from the west that are heading across?

Gday mate how are ya? Its from Tassie so I would think Hobart because it has a big dock area for freight ships. It spent its first 25 years or so in Tassie. It has certainly been worked well, and I dont think it wouldve carted too many legal loads. Its great to have it going again, its starting to look alright and hopefully it will create a bit of interest up at Alice Springs for the big reunion. Are you going? Or do you know any blokes from the west that are heading across?

Hello, there is quite a few going to that from here. if I get this running I may take it. am sick of throwing money at it at the moment, will throw it in the dog house soon if it bites much more :)I have hit 47,000 now.

the pic of yours is pretty good, dont see them to often with a v8

regards Grant

Ok, I'll bite. What is a "jinker"?

Think of a jinker as a dolly that is connected to the truck by a separate frame or the load itself. For example: Ever see the transport of long beams where they attach one end of the beam to the 5th wheel and then attach the other to a dolly? That dolly would be called a jinker in Australia. In the classic Australian sense it is as Jeff described, a cart or trailer that hauls logs or timber. Here is a picture of a horse drawn cart that is also called a jinker, possibly the origin of the word?

Some, if not all modern jinkers in Australia self steer and the load is attached to a pivot point so the jinker can steer itself around tight turns. Here is a page from Drake Trailers Australia, they make an assortment of interesting heavy haul and specialty trailers.

-Thad

What America needs is less bull and more Bulldog!

Hi Skip, there was'nt too many R 615's in Tas. It could be ex Bonney & Stafford, was originally a jinker.

Jeffro.

Gday mate how are ya? Yep youre on the money there, it was originally a jinker. And there were only 3 V8 Flinstones in Tassie that I know of, Mt Foster which is the one I have, Shaws and Bonnys. There may have been one other but its hard to find out. What have you got up there? Are you heading to Alice Springs in August?

The term 'jinker' refers to the trailer I think. The R615 is the truck pulling the jinker.

The R615RS would probably have had a longer rear OH than a tractor. The truck would have been fitted with a pintle type hook at the rear. The truck would have had a log bolster mounted on a ball race or similar. When empty the 'jinker' would have been piggybacked back to the loadout by the R615. The 'jinker' would also have had a log bolster mounted to a ballrace or similar, it would have connected to the truck by a sliding timber or steel pole that hooked on to the pintle hook. When loaded the logs would sit in/on the two bolsters, one on the R615 and one on the jinker.

no ballrace on the jinker mate........and as for you pintle hook theory, very unlikely but not unheard of.this truck was in tasmania not america guys we cart and process our timber compleatley diffrent to our american cousins so i.e. no extra length in the chassie, no pintle hook this truck may have had a earley elphingstone jinker on it but i got a feeling i wasnt on logs very long, it may have had a old type ridged pole jinker or may not................before anyone jumps down my kneck i am a fourth generation logger so i no excactley what i am talking about and as a fact i am tasmanian.so i hope my imput has been helpfull and i suggest you guys look up elphingstone engineerings site in triabunna ,tasmania and learn a thing or two................cheers bryan

Hi Spud, ok, I dont want to split hairs or anything. Lol..

Jeff.

Ive got an original photo of my other flinstone, it was a logger and I reckon it has a extended chassis and mightve had the pintle hook youre talking about. Im pretty sure this truck pictured had a turntable from new

hey skip this r model of your's allway's been in n.s.w.......because i have seen one photo of a r model with the extended chassie on logs....about two and a half feet extra and yet it still had a early jinker on it . and didn't reynold's have a v8 flinstone?

Edited by spud

hey skip this r model of your's allway's been in n.s.w.......because i have seen one photo of a r model with the extended chassie on logs....about two and a half feet extra and yet it still had a early jinker on it . and didn't reynold's have a v8 flinstone?

I've got lots of pics of R's with extended chassis. I imagine they would be on logs. The extended chassis is typical of the early type jinker, defence rests.

Skip, I wont be at Alice in August.

Regards Jeff.

Gday mate how are ya? Nah this V8 Flinstone Ive done spent its first 25 years or so in Tassie, Then a bloke from Wollongong bought it and partly restored it and was using it as a yard truck until a the V8 died. The other one Ive got was sold new to a couple of sawmillers in Bulladelah and that had a longer chassis by the look of the photo the original ownerw gave me. It spent 20 years there and it stayed between there and Sydney up until about 2004. Who were Reynolds mate? They loggers as well?

yep they sure were ....one of the biggest mack user's in tas between the 60's to i think earley 80's flinstones, r-models 600 and 700 b-model's you name it they had it.and my pop also had a v8 flinstone so it's got me stuffed, dont think it was a factory v8 though.....i think they put it in about 19 82 or 83........dunno my minds a bit scattered since then...lol....