Mack Service?

I called my local Mack dealer service for repairs on Friday. We talked about what needs to be done(only a half day job at worst he says)to service rep. He says Thursday open, call Monday early, if you want this appointment. So I call about 9am, to schedule repairs, appointment taken. So I drop off truck tonight, and asked again, will you get this in the shop tomorrow morning?

Answer: "We'll try. All the trucks here now are from 2-3 days ago appointments."

So why make appointments? Is this normal because of parts not available?

I was told from parts dept. all mine were in stock, because I was going to do the job myself? Do you thinks these dealers are running short inventory, causing the back log on other Mack's?

How do some of you guy's who work at the dealers, or other shops, deal with appointments?

I called my local Mack dealer service for repairs on Friday. We talked about what needs to be done(only a half day job at worst he says)to service rep. He says Thursday open, call Monday early, if you want this appointment. So I call about 9am, to schedule repairs, appointment taken. So I drop off truck tonight, and asked again, will you get this in the shop tomorrow morning?

Answer: "We'll try. All the trucks here now are from 2-3 days ago appointments."

I was told from parts dept. all mine were in stock, because I was going to do the job myself? Do you thinks these dealers are running short inventory, causing the back log on other Mack's?

How do some of you guy's who work at the dealers, or other shops, deal with appointments?

I think part of the problem is that everyone is trying to reduce inventory of parts. Not only do the parts tie up capital, but you have to pay inventory taxes on it at the end of the year. Also, some of the parts are just not available. If a 2010 truck comes in for a warranty repair and the part takes an extra day to show up at the dealership it really throws off the work flow.

"Mebbe I'm too ugly and stupid to give up!"

I think part of the problem is that everyone is trying to reduce inventory of parts. Not only do the parts tie up capital, but you have to pay inventory taxes on it at the end of the year. Also, some of the parts are just not available. If a 2010 truck comes in for a warranty repair and the part takes an extra day to show up at the dealership it really throws off the work flow.

I understand inventory tax(F"in Government), but 90% or them where older trucks..?

I can tell you some about appointments. Most guys that want a appoinment for saving some time but who out there is going to keep the appoinment if a good load comes up and the truck will run one more trip or what if his wife tells him she has other plans. I have seen it many times so appointments in most cases are a joke. A joke on both sides.No shop is going to keep a slut open not knowing if you will come or not so they take what comes in to keep from paying help to wait and see if you come in.A doctor can do that but a shop can if all other jobs go as planed.

glenn akers

I can tell you some about appointments. Most guys that want a appoinment for saving some time but who out there is going to keep the appointment if a good load comes up and the truck will run one more trip or what if his wife tells him she has other plans. I have seen it many times so appointments in most cases are a joke. A joke on both sides.No shop is going to keep a slut open not knowing if you will come or not so they take what comes in to keep from paying help to wait and see if you come in.A doctor can do that but a shop can if all other jobs go as planed.

I agree with Glenn

I have found that very few guys will phone and cancel an appointment !Somtimes I wish I could charge for missed appointments like the docs office, Its hard to plan around things when guys don't show!

Tell you guys what I did in the body shop with great success:

Estimates to the general public were not free. I charged $20.00 for an initial estimate. If that vehicle was repaired by another facility and upon proof, I refunded $25.00 to the vehicle owner. If my shop repaired the vehicle there was no charge of course. I have a sign on the wall in the office plainly stating this, and it is also printed on the estimate forms. All other shops in the area offered "free estimates", as did I, for repeat customers.

A lot of people do not appreciate the amount of time it takes to prepare an estimate, schedule repair times, order parts, organize labor, pay restock fees when appointments don't show up etc.

While some would balk, get angry, or refuse to pay the charge, it really was nothing to worry about. I look at it quite simple: If your car doesn't fill the stall, someone else's will. No problem.

This is the power of a good reputation.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.