Rd Mack Question

Another one for you guys since you helped me with my other question. My RD Mack has a 350 E7 in it bought about 3 years ago its a 1995 runs good in very good shape 10 wheel with jake and has mack 13 speed trans truck will go on down the road when empty but when you put 20 tons on it the thing has no power at all.Does not smoke least little bit even in a strain.We got the truck at a really good price and it was a rental truck.Is it posible that because it was a rental truck some one turned the fuel adjustment down on it or is it something else.Did notice that the lead wire seal was broken on the cap where you would adjust the fuel seting on the back of the pump, truck only has about 250 thousand on it.Not realy wanting to turn up hihger than stock but just dont think its puting out would it should for a 350 hp truck.Should i just start adjusting the fuel up a little at a time to see if it makes a differnce or is there another way of checking it? Thanks

Another one for you guys since you helped me with my other question. My RD Mack has a 350 E7 in it bought about 3 years ago its a 1995 runs good in very good shape 10 wheel with jake and has mack 13 speed trans truck will go on down the road when empty but when you put 20 tons on it the thing has no power at all.Does not smoke least little bit even in a strain.We got the truck at a really good price and it was a rental truck.Is it posible that because it was a rental truck some one turned the fuel adjustment down on it or is it something else.Did notice that the lead wire seal was broken on the cap where you would adjust the fuel seting on the back of the pump, truck only has about 250 thousand on it.Not realy wanting to turn up hihger than stock but just dont think its puting out would it should for a 350 hp truck.Should i just start adjusting the fuel up a little at a time to see if it makes a differnce or is there another way of checking it? Thanks

I agree with Herb, the smoke limit ( LDA) likly has a hole in it!The way to check it is to remove the line to where it goes on the manifold and suck on that line if it will not hold the vacuam you create with your mouth it has a hole in it and it needs replacing!Also you need to varify that the throtle is going to full fuel open! and the stop to fuel open.

I agree with Herb, the smoke limit ( LDA) likly has a hole in it!The way to check it is to remove the line to where it goes on the manifold and suck on that line if it will not hold the vacuam you create with your mouth it has a hole in it and it needs replacing!Also you need to varify that the throtle is going to full fuel open! and the stop to fuel open.

I have checked the throtle it is opening all the way but will check out diafram and fuel shut off too thanks

Checked the fuel shut off it is opening all the way and also un hooked the line from the manifold about a 3/8 line that runs from back of pump to the manifold un hooked there and tryed sucking air though it did find some suction but was very hard to tell.Is it worth pulling the cap off off the pump where that line goes im asumming that is the diafram or LDA you guys are talking about.the housing is kind of shaped like there could be a diafram inside.

Also noticed that the throttle at the pump opens all the way and then hits a stop that is like a idle screw .Can i find any specs for this

Edited by PBean

Checked the fuel shut off it is opening all the way and also un hooked the line from the manifold about a 3/8 line that runs from back of pump to the manifold un hooked there and tryed sucking air though it did find some suction but was very hard to tell.Is it worth pulling the cap off off the pump where that line goes im asumming that is the diafram or LDA you guys are talking about.the housing is kind of shaped like there could be a diafram inside.

Also noticed that the throttle at the pump opens all the way and then hits a stop that is like a idle screw .Can i find any specs for this

Pull the 4 screws and have a look at the diphram its not that bigg of deal then you won't be guessing! Next you will need to check fuel preasure you need to tee into the system right at the fuel pump inlet you need 25 psi or better under fuel load!Your problem is fuel related as you have no excess smoke.

Pull the 4 screws and have a look at the diphram its not that bigg of deal then you won't be guessing!

Hi Fred, I've never worked on this problem before but wouldn't it be prudent to replace the diaphram if you expose it? Can't really be that expensive I wouldn't think and could alleviate a problem further down the road.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Ok thanks alot for your help guys i like robs idea about replacing it once i expose it and i will check fuel presure also.Now is that whats called the puffer valve like on a 237 or does that motor even have that?

Ok thanks alot for your help guys i like robs idea about replacing it once i expose it and i will check fuel presure also.Now is that whats called the puffer valve like on a 237 or does that motor even have that?

Does the same job as puff limit!

yup replacing it like Rob mentioned can't hurt! It is getting old!

• 4 months later...

Ok thanks alot guys I realy apreaciate you taking the time to help me

just now getting to work on this problem took off 3 flat head screws one with the plastic tamper proof piece on it the last one is what looks like a pop rivet or some kind of speacial fasnter i see more of them on the pump in other places can anyone help me with this trying to figure out how it comes out.

also can i simply just change the diaphram.I read in the manual about this and it says you must take the pump off and have the settings checked seems odd because it looks like it is just a simple change out.thanks