Ford L8000

I know this is a Mack site and i have a B61 and an RD but wanted to ask a question about my ford L8000 steering box has gotten alot of play in it more than 2 and a half inches in the steering wheel no play in the tie rods or draglink its definetly in the steering box the truck is a 1993 and in very good shape.about 280 thousand miles.My question would be is it time for a new box or is there an adjustiment.looked all over the box and can not see anything to adjust.The truck wanders all over the road and you have to keep correcting it.It does it worse when loaded.Any help would be appreaciated greatly.Trying to find a manual for it now thanks

I know this is a Mack site and i have a B61 and an RD but wanted to ask a question about my ford L8000 steering box has gotten alot of play in it more than 2 and a half inches in the steering wheel no play in the tie rods or draglink its definetly in the steering box the truck is a 1993 and in very good shape.about 280 thousand miles.My question would be is it time for a new box or is there an adjustiment.looked all over the box and can not see anything to adjust.The truck wanders all over the road and you have to keep correcting it.It does it worse when loaded.Any help would be appreaciated greatly.Trying to find a manual for it now thanks

Look at the housing and see what name brand it is and any #'s. It's probably a Sheppard M100 or a TRW/Ross TAS65. Let me know, some have adjustments and some dont.

280 thousand should not be the normal life of a steering gear. Before attempting an adjustment make sure that the steering gear is centered, and is actually on the center point. Speaking strictly from a liability standpoint, a $500 to $600 rebuilt steering gear is a lot cheaper than a lawsuit.

Hi there, Have you checked to ensure the center pins, sping eye bushings, and shackle bushings on the leaf springs are in good shape? As mentioned you need to have the steering gear centered on it's high point to check for lash in the gear. If the gear is a Ross, chances are there are adjustments but it may be only for depth of mesh to the sector and pinion. Usually the ball screw/bearing wear does not exibit that much play through the steering wheel without something else worn also.

A quick way to check the gear is to diconnect the drag link at the pitman arm, center the steering gear by turning lock to lock, then returning 1/2 the amount. Secure the steering wheel by rubber strap, or have someone hold the wheel steady, and try to move the pitman are fore and aft. If it moves more than a slight amount, the gear is either shot, or needs adjustment. If you can only move the pitman are about 1/16th of an inch, you have problems elswhere in the steering system.

One other thing is to make sure that gear is still firmly bolted to the frame and not slipping, or wollered out it's mounting holes!!

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Most of the Ford L8000 & 9000's that I've seen have the Sheppard P/S box. You should find "F.L. Sheppard" or something like that cast in the housing. The only adjustments on those is the relief valve screw, but that has no effect on free play, it just relieves the hyd pressure when the box is at it's extreme right or left motion.

As James said, be sure the box is in the middle of it's travel with the wheels straight ahead.

Otherwise get a factory rebuilt steering box. I've never had much luck with non factory rebuilt Sheppard steering boxes.

"If You Can't Shift It Smoothly, You Shouldn't Be Driving It"

Thanks for your help i looked at it and i definitly think its in the box i can turn the shaft at the box a good 2 and ahalf inches before it ever moves the arm not gonna take any chances new one is about 400$ its on its way