Camshaft

alexb

ab2,I was at a meeting one day at Detroit Diesels plant tours,that they used too have when Penski owned the co.I brought up that same question. I told them Mack said it's the engine brake causing the failure,well there were a group of guys from Waste Man.there said Mack told them the same thing.Only one prob.It was happining on there Florida trucks (no engine brakes).So heres what I think happens if that engine has the flat tappet lifter like on our Macks, the lifter would break an wipe out the cam lobe so we started using a syn.friction addi.to oil it seemed to work.There are no roller type tappets on my E6 motor I don't know what's on your's it's not a new prob. BULLHUSK

ab2,I was at a meeting one day at Detroit Diesels plant tours,that they used too have when Penski owned the co.I brought up that same question. I told them Mack said it's the engine brake causing the failure,well there were a group of guys from Waste Man.there said Mack told them the same thing.Only one prob.It was happining on there Florida trucks (no engine brakes).So heres what I think happens if that engine has the flat tappet lifter like on our Macks, the lifter would break an wipe out the cam lobe so we started using a syn.friction addi.to oil it seemed to work.There are no roller type tappets on my E6 motor I don't know what's on your's it's not a new prob. BULLHUSK

Back in the early ETECH days we would have as many as 3-4 cam jobs going on at the time. The newer cam kits have better roller lifters for improved oiling. Yours probably has the steel rollers they latter changed to cermaic rollers which lasted lcnger but any excesive valve lash (broken rocker arm, rocker arm shaft, rocker arm bolts or bent push tube) would crack them and they would fail as well. From what I've see engine brake makes no diffence on how long they last. Sadly it's just the nature of the beast.

i also read that the injectors on these engines leak inside on to the cam and it causes damage...dont know if there is any truth to that

There could be some truth to that. The EUP pumps do leak some fuel into the oil pan, this is normal but if you change your oil as recommended it should never get to the level that would thin the oil out enough to cause a problem. There have been EUP failures that have dumped lots of fuel into the pan but your hot idle oil pressure would be so low it would set the low oil pressure code.

i have 2000 mack ch 613 in wich i just had to replace my camshaft . could anybody tell me what makes this happen with these engines??

I WAS TOLD THAT IT IS THE WAY MACK PUTS THE CARBIDE ON THE LIFTER AND HAS AIR TRAPPED BETWEEN THE TWO.

GG2

We the unwilling, Lead by the unqualified, are doing the impossible, for the ungrateful.

I WAS TOLD THAT IT IS THE WAY MACK PUTS THE CARBIDE ON THE LIFTER AND HAS AIR TRAPPED BETWEEN THE TWO.

GG2

Giant 2 the engine he has has roller lifters!His failure is as 68 discribed ,Nature of the beast! The cam failures are pretty much few and far between now once, the newer ceramic lifter is installed!(For the most part)

The flat tappet lifter of the pre ETeck engine was improoved just before the ETeck engine came along!Since that time I have never seen that improoved lifter fail.It is used in all the earlier engines including the E6 And V8.

Giant 2 the engine he has has roller lifters!His failure is as 68 discribed ,Nature of the beast! The cam failures are pretty much few and far between now once, the newer ceramic lifter is installed!(For the most part)

The flat tappet lifter of the pre ETeck engine was improoved just before the ETeck engine came along!Since that time I have never seen that improoved lifter fail.It is used in all the earlier engines including the E6 And V8.

NOT SURE , BUT I THINK MINE IS A E-6 300L AND THE CARBIDE BROKE OFF AND TOOK OUT THE CAM.

GG2

We the unwilling, Lead by the unqualified, are doing the impossible, for the ungrateful.