B-61 Fuel Filter

ajt3138

this is fuel filter off of a 1961 b-61. end673. i assume some part is missing off the top where the small bolt is. like a knob or something that would screw onto the 1/4" threads. the serevice manual says a cup nut which would be inverted and screwed back onto shaft to rotate windings to clean. does anybody have a pic with this all intact?

i see on top it says "to lean" with an arrow. does this mean there is some type of adjustment or something? service manual says this unit is a manually operated self cleaning permanent element inside. post-3642-127207661287_thumb.jpg

post-3642-127207699996_thumb.jpg

It looks complete to me. I just bought one of the primary fuel filter units for my truck from Kevin of AllMacks.com about a month ago. I don't see anything missing. The filter is scrapped off when you turn the nut on top clockwise or as the arrow shows on the unit. I'll have to look at my unit now because a faucet valve handle might be a good idea to use to turn the scrapper. I tore mine apart and all this crud was inside the filter. Looked like mud. But NAPA has the numbers for me to use and order a new filter. Also they have the Mack numbers and crossovers mostly Wix Filters are what is used by CarQuest, O'Rielly, NAPA etc.

Mine is not fitting the studs on the intake manifold cause, the studs on the manifold are bigger than most units during those years.

mike

It's been a long long time since I messed with one of those, but I think there is supposed to be a 3/4 inch (roughly) hex nut screwed onto that threaded part on top, and then you put a wrench on that nut to turn and clean.

"If You Can't Shift It Smoothly, You Shouldn't Be Driving It"

Herb is correct....I did not spot it earlier. Got my new glasses a week ago and still not using them hoping to not need them. I have to have them per FAA in the airplane when flying. So I put them on when doing my flight planning and keep them on until needed for changing my altimeter. Just past my FAA Medical this week so BEWARE YAW I'm ready to bore some more holes in the skies this year. :lol:

mike :D

Herb is correct....I did not spot it earlier. Got my new glasses a week ago and still not using them hoping to not need them. I have to have them per FAA in the airplane when flying. So I put them on when doing my flight planning and keep them on until needed for changing my altimeter. Just past my FAA Medical this week so BEWARE YAW I'm ready to bore some more holes in the skies this year. :lol: Mike the last of my flying was a few years ago when i yawed too much but on the ground. I ground looped a 180 cessna in Kansas and then nosed it on the spinner. I said that was a sign to show me how slow i was getting so i hung it up.When i started to fly is when i had to start to wear glasses.funny about those glasses is it takes some time getting use to them.I did ok untill i pulled a helment down over my head and struck a ark with a welding rod and it looked like i had a broom handle in my hand.But i learn not to pull them off and that way i dont lose them.

And the way i remenber the scraper filter was with a 7/8 hex head on it.I had forgot about them till today.

glenn akers

LOL....I know it's being serious at the time when put to the test. Flying was serious stuff when I was going through flight school. I could not relax a moment when doing anything. I still remember my white nuckles during my take-offs. Don't remember the landings cause I was soooo focused during this crucial time. And yes the line up on the runway during takeoff on the numbers and the crosswind during takeoff and landing. It is still pretty serious business and I truly believe in checklists and use them religiously to this day. It is a joy to fly after you go thru the BOOT CAMP sort of speak. Sorry Glenn you went the other direction. Many times during my training I wanted to QUIT but took an oath to myself to not do so. With all of the instructors I had, most of them had comments on my great landings. I love to come in on the mains an coast with the nosegear off the ground all the way until it loses air speed and falls. Stalls were scary at first then after doing them for awhile you start testing yourself to how much altitude you cannot lose.

Life is All a Gift

Let It Be FUN while we can.

Mike i never did get to like the stalls and did only when on a chech ride. I had 836 hrs in me and most of them tail dragger. I built a texas taildragger which was a 150/150. It was a 150 with the texas tail dragger kit and a 150 lycoming and stol kit.It was not a trainer any longer. In about 84 i think it was on the front cover of sorts flying mag at Oshkosh.Then i moved up to a mid time like new 58 180.That was a real airplane. I could put 4 fat men like me and Rob in it and 65 gal of fuel and not worry about balance.But all good things in most cases come to a end. All three air planes i have had would burn auto gas.I learn to fly in a PA11 piper. Could have been a supper cub if it did not have a 65 horse cont on it.It was the best flying plane for late in the evening and not going any were.

The first time i soloed i forgot to latch my seat belt untill i was making a left turn for final in a good wind and i could not get it on because of the wind.I had to handle the plane first. I made me to put the seat belt on the first thing from then on.

glenn akers

thanks for looking. we are getting ready to paint the engine, so we have taken off everything that is easy to remove. air pump,water pump,fuel filters,exhaust man...etc.

we will replace all lines also. i matched a color from a little spot of paint left on the transmission breather. we should be ready to paint in a week or so.

we painted rims last weekend. there is a pic of those in my garage, and i will post some of the engine as soon as we paint it. aj

Mike i never did get to like the stalls and did only when on a chech ride. I had 836 hrs in me and most of them tail dragger. I built a texas taildragger which was a 150/150. It was a 150 with the texas tail dragger kit and a 150 lycoming and stol kit.It was not a trainer any longer. In about 84 i think it was on the front cover of sorts flying mag at Oshkosh.Then i moved up to a mid time like new 58 180.That was a real airplane. I could put 4 fat men like me and Rob in it and 65 gal of fuel and not worry about balance.But all good things in most cases come to a end. All three air planes i have had would burn auto gas.I learn to fly in a PA11 piper. Could have been a supper cub if it did not have a 65 horse cont on it.It was the best flying plane for late in the evening and not going any were.

The first time i soloed i forgot to latch my seat belt untill i was making a left turn for final in a good wind and i could not get it on because of the wind.I had to handle the plane first. I made me to put the seat belt on the first thing from then on.

Glenn, yea the stalls are a challenge but need to be looked at as fun I feel. I guess a person could think of a spiral in the back of their mind as being next after a stall and frighten them from doing the stalls. For a brief time during my flight schooling I had a girl CFI ( Certified Flight Instructor ) for those reading that don't know this term, she was a college student. One day we went up in a 172 Cessna N model and she showed me during a flight into a head wind, cutting back the throttle that we could actually fly backwards. That was some interesting flight. I never dreamed I would have a girl flight instructor and a good lookin one at that. After 9 years later she appears at a safety meeting. Oh well I need to go to bed now.

mike