Engine Brakes

joes mack

the truck that i have drove for the last month is a rd888 with a e7 427 it is a verry good truck but this wed i got put in a 09 granite with a 485 mp8 the engines in these trucks are as dif as night and day i thought the jake on the 427 was strong but compared to the granite it is verry weak with the rd i could come off of the mountain with 35 tons in 2nd/3rd gear with only working the brake saver from 3rd stage to 4th stage without touching the brakes with the granite i can come off of the same hills in 3rd/4th without touching the brakes and it dont have a brake saver. what makes these engines hold back so much better than the older ones? the mountain that we haul coal from has grades that range from 16% to 6% with only 5 very short flat spots on the road the trucks that dont have brake savers or retarders have to come off in lo or 1st gear with 8 speed trans and the granites that have the brake savers can come off in 5th/6th gear im impressed with the engine brakes that the granites have... joe

the cat engines have a retarder (brake saver) in the flywheel housing that works off of oil press with the jake brake on the ones that i have seen. but the brake saver that im talking about is on the drive shaft it has a bunch of wound coils and magnets and works off of electricity. with 4 12v batts and a 200 amp alt to keep the batts charged. it dont hold back as good as a cat brake saver but it works verry well and the can be mounted on any truck. ive seen them on 70s model DMs all the way up to the new granites.. joe

the cat engines have a retarder (brake saver) in the flywheel housing that works off of oil press with the jake brake on the ones that i have seen. but the brake saver that im talking about is on the drive shaft it has a bunch of wound coils and magnets and works off of electricity. with 4 12v batts and a 200 amp alt to keep the batts charged. it dont hold back as good as a cat brake saver but it works verry well and the can be mounted on any truck. ive seen them on 70s model DMs all the way up to the new granites.. joe

The "Telma" driveline brakes do work good, all the LE garabge trucks around here have them. Never seen them outside of the refuse industry. They are heavy but in your line of work a few pounds wont matter. A very good friend works for Republic Waste and says the Telma extends their brake shoes almost 75%.

they do work verry good for the coal trucks around here where the haul roads are steep long hills with kick backs in them. if you get your brakes hot and cant make them in one swing you could verry easily go through the berm and over the mountain. i think that the trucks that have them are a lot safer if you use them rite because your brakes dont get hot and you can stop if you need to. .joe

The "Telma" driveline brakes do work good, all the LE garabge trucks around here have them. Never seen them outside of the refuse industry. They are heavy but in your line of work a few pounds wont matter. A very good friend works for Republic Waste and says the Telma extends their brake shoes almost 75%.

Pierce Fire trucks, made here in Appleton WI, are set up with the Telma driveline brake also.

"If You Can't Shift It Smoothly, You Shouldn't Be Driving It"

• 1 month later...

Does anyone know of any tractor trailer combo's using this system? I called Telma and the gentleman I spoke with said they do not recommend them for combo units, his theory is that they may lock up and cause a jack knife...My response to him was why he was worried about them locking up on a combo unit but not on a straight truck set up...He had no reply.

I am needing something as my jakes on my 97' E7 454 are pretty much worthless.

Edited by ch613

• 1 month later...