Thermostat Temperature

brialin

I have a B61 which has a shutterstat temperature of 165. Should the thermostat be higher or lower than this.

Thanks Brian

I agree with Herb but I've not seen a lot of B61's that had thermostats incorporated. None of mine do. The later models very well could.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Thinking out load with this....just wondering if there is a way to see if a thermostat is inside of my engine without taking the housing off disturbing any gaskets? I have the painted and fixed radiator back in as of yesterday. Yes Rob I took off the grill guard cause the task was whipping me even with the g/f there asking every question. :pat: I'll next take off the long copper hose leading up to the thermostat housing. Looks like it has been a hole in it's past history. I'm putting a few new hoses on and have already put 2 new 17655 Gates belts on.....oh yea bout forgot....had to take off the new draincock before radiator install and lower hose. During my future resto i'll install radiator, shroud and Housing as one unit next time. Got to get garage finished first.

mike

Mike, if you look just below where the top hose connects to the water manifold, there will be 3 bolts that hold the thermostat housing and the pipe that connects to the upper hose to the water manifold if it has a thermostat.

If the top pipe is one piece with the water manifold, then it does not have a thermostat.

I've seen B models with both types.

"If You Can't Shift It Smoothly, You Shouldn't Be Driving It"

Mike, if you look just below where the top hose connects to the water manifold, there will be 3 bolts that hold the thermostat housing and the pipe that connects to the upper hose to the water manifold if it has a thermostat.

If the top pipe is one piece with the water manifold, then it does not have a thermostat.

I've seen B models with both types.

Herb....the upper hose leads into the manifold as you say and has 3 nuts and lock washers on what is studs. The manifold still looks like a solid unit as I have stared at this unit many times wondering that. The Mack manual is a good resource but does not tell all necessary needs. Thanks for the reply i'll check when I get home this late P.M.

Again Thanks!

mike :mack1: