Truck Of The Month

Truck of the Month is in hibernation...due to lack of submissions. I would like to get it going again...but we need good stories and great photos! If anyone is interested...send your story and pics to: wmsi@alltel.net Lets get TOTM going again!!

bmodel_logo.png
Barry - Watt's Truck Center Parts Manager and BMT Webmaster...1-888-304-MACK

Truck of the Month is in hibernation...due to lack of submissions. I would like to get it going again...but we need good stories and great photos! If anyone is interested...send your story and pics to: wmsi@alltel.net Lets get TOTM going again!!

Hey Barry, how about starting a forum that deals with history of a particular truck? What I mean here is, most persons who enjoy old trucks have a story behind them, or what they like about them. My particular story is that I have never been a truck driver, or worked for a trucking outfit at all, yet I own nine trucks in total. My interest in them comes through my grandpa (now passed) that had strong preference to Mack. The particular white single axle Mack B61 that I am restoring will be marked in "Monsanto" colors upon completion to appear as one of their trucks did in the mid 1960"s and hopefully be "period correct". He ran the shipping department at the "Queeny" plant in St. Louis for many years overseeing all phases of outgoing and incomming goods. Maybe some from that area remember white B models with a big orange letter "M" followed by "onsanto", partially set into the hind leg of the "M", and St. Louis, Mo, on the doors. They always pulled van trailers that were white in color.

I also own the "AB" that was grandpas' when it was new. He worked at International Shoe Co. as a young man starting by "sweeping the floor", and later graduating to hauling leather "trimmings" from the boot plant to other areas by mule train. When they "upgraded" to trucks, he was assigned a new Mack AB dump truck. Eventually, ISC upgraded to trucks with closed cabs, and grandpa bought this "AB" truck from the company as he was the only operator since new, (It is an open "C" cab). This was in 1933 and the great depression was just getting into full swing. He then transferred to hauling finished products to Chicago via US Rt. 66 in a new, (original "B" series) truck. I don't know which, and he couldn't remember, but judging from past pictures I have seen, I would say a "BM" series is about right with dual reduction rear. I remember him telling me how "excited" he was in those days because the truck had a heater!!

Upon the outbreak of war in December, 1941, grandpa left ISC to enlist in the Navy as many men with Pride in their county did. After "boot camp" at Great Lakes Naval Station, he shipped out to the south pacific operating area via Pearl Harbor. I am not clear on which ships or battles he participated in as there was a lot of movement from ship to ship in those days as needed and he really did not talk much of military service. I do know he was a "machine gunner" on a destroyer at the battle of "Coral Sea". It is ironic that my Navy service was aboard the USS Coral Sea aircraft carrier that was named for this battle. This is one bit of his military service he would speak of at length with me.

After wartime service and discharge in early 1946, he was offered his position back at ISC (with promotion) but he opted to go to work for the "chemical company", (Monsanto) across the hi-way on US Rt. 66 in the shipping department. Thus began a long (32 years) tenure. I can tell you that company "took care" of it's personell very well after retirement in those days.

Well, there is part of the story that perks my interest in these "old junkers" as some around here call them. Every truck, and every person, has a story behind what interests them in the old trucks, and I would like to see some of those stories shared. I'm sure there is a lot more common ground than anybody thinks on the surface. I'm even including those that take to opportunity for "pot shots" against others. Personally, I don't see the need for that kind of behavior on this or any other forum as this should be a hobby for all to enjoy and meeting people should be a pleasant experience looked forward to.

Best regards to all;

Rob Swallows

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.