Exhaust Gasket Leaking

mackpro68 i did the checking you advised, it does have a slight leak 3rd cilinder from rear, can it wait till next service?? what kind of cash are we talking??$$$$$

thanks for your help.

if i do this repair myself???

can i reuse fuel lines???

is it unsafe to do so, or is it just a ploy to make you buy fuel lines??????

To save money you could do it your self, it's really not that hard but I have done so many so it seems easy to me. Mack says no-no on the reuse of the fuel lines but this is for liablity reasons (alot of AC engines caught fire due to reused lines). Any time we do one under warranty we use all new everything and follow the newest service bulletins. But when we have one not covered by warranty and the customer is dirt poor, we have just slipped in some new gaskets and reused the fuel lines. If you mark the line with the location and install it back in the same hole most time it wont leak. We do a long test drive to make sure (25mile). The real problem gaskets/studs is #3 and #4. If it has the new style studs on those 2 locations I see no reason to change them all if it was my money.

Ya it can wait For a bit! Seen em get real bad thats probly your noise!

At one point in time it was a saftey issue to replace fuel lines If I were doing it To my Truck now I would re use the lines!Providing they are the updated lines.

If I am doing a repair to Your truck I will replace the fuel lines as it is a liability issue for Me!You can do this repair your self!For the cost of the gaskets and the stud kit ,It will take you the best part of a day to do if your doing it your self and never done it before!It will take me or anyone thats done a few 3 to 5 hours to do,If it has any broken studs abit to alot longer. Warrenty pays 4.7 or there abouts to do it!With out complication.

So A case of beer and a nice sunny relaxing sunday do it your self save 500 or more bux labour or sit at home with your feet up drink that case of beer and don't lift your butt out of the chair and let somone else do it for ya and get six months to one year warrenty your two choices! Injection lines will likly get replaced if done at a dealer.Duno what the gaskets cost!NOT MY DEPARTMENT,You need six manifold gaskets update stud spacer kit, two hot side egr pipe orings one turbo drain gasket one turbo gasket, turbo studs and nuts and lots of patience.It gets easier after about the third time around!

Your call Chuck!

To save money you could do it your self, it's really not that hard but I have done so many so it seems easy to me. Mack says no-no on the reuse of the fuel lines but this is for liablity reasons (alot of AC engines caught fire due to reused lines). Any time we do one under warranty we use all new everything and follow the newest service bulletins. But when we have one not covered by warranty and the customer is dirt poor, we have just slipped in some new gaskets and reused the fuel lines. If you mark the line with the location and install it back in the same hole most time it wont leak. We do a long test drive to make sure (25mile). The real problem gaskets/studs is #3 and #4. If it has the new style studs on those 2 locations I see no reason to change them all if it was my money.

when I replaced #5 gasket I loosened the manifold nuts on the other 5 cylinders about half way. Then I put double nut on the studs for #5 to use as a stud puller and take the studs out of that hole. Then I slid the manifold out against the nuts and drop the old gasket from #5 and slide the new one in. Then I put the 2 studs back in and tightened the manifold back down to specs. I didn't have to loose any injector lines or anything else. If I were to replace #4 gasket I would have to drop off the EGR mixer tube but that's only 2 clamps.

It won't work like that if you have heat shields or something in the way but it worked out fine for me as mine has no upper shield on the rear half of manifold..