Guages Seat Belt Buzzer Going Crazy

Heading down the road and all of a sudden all the gauges starting going crazy and the seat belt buzzer went off when i hit a good size bump. It did this for about five minutes over every big bump. The it stopped as quickly as it started. Got home checked all the connections at fuse panels and under the dash and hood. Every thing seems to be good. Are there any spots where the harness may be rubbing and grounding that someone has seen before that could cause this problem. Also when this was happening it didn't effect the headlights they stayed steady and brite. No issues with power either. Thanks for your help.

Maxx613

Heading down the road and all of a sudden all the gauges starting going crazy and the seat belt buzzer went off when i hit a good size bump. It did this for about five minutes over every big bump. The it stopped as quickly as it started. Got home checked all the connections at fuse panels and under the dash and hood. Every thing seems to be good. Are there any spots where the harness may be rubbing and grounding that someone has seen before that could cause this problem. Also when this was happening it didn't effect the headlights they stayed steady and brite. No issues with power either. Thanks for your help.

Seat belt buzzer? :idunno: I've never driven a class 8 truck equipped with a seat belt buzzer. :huh:

When approaching a 4-way stop, the vehicle with the biggest tires has the right of way!

Seat belt buzzer? :idunno: I've never driven a class 8 truck equipped with a seat belt buzzer. :huh:

I think the problem has to do with the ingition switch. It acts like the switch is being turned on and off. A buzzer goes off and the gauges reset. Happened about ten times today. Does not effect the drivability though. I just assumed it's a seat belt buzzer. Any one heard of this before? Only got one key on the ring so I don't think that's the problem.

Maxx613

• 4 months later...

See service bulletin SB-732-005 (1/13/03), it's available on the internet. But in most cases the cluster itself will have to be replaced. It will come with a tach and speedo, and you'll have to switch all of the other gauges from the old cluster to the new one.......

Had one today do the same thing, it was a 2002 CX613. I thought he was crazy as I have never seen a seat belt warning buzzer go off either. But we followed the service bulletin and found the date code to be one of the older ones so I replaced the cluster (around $370 + labor) and this fixed the problem.

I have a fleet of macks and this problem may have a cheaper and easier fix, we have had 5 trucks that had a ghost where all of the guages and buzzers went of randomly.... after 60 hours on countless repairs we found that the wiring harness under the dash is wrapped too tight, this creates heat and and causes abnormal activities, we unwrapped and untied all of the thick harness under the right side of the dash and viola no more ghosts....I HOPE THIS HELPS SOMEONE ELSE... the seatbelt sign was going off as it was resetting all of the electronics.

I have a fleet of macks and this problem may have a cheaper and easier fix, we have had 5 trucks that had a ghost where all of the guages and buzzers went of randomly.... after 60 hours on countless repairs we found that the wiring harness under the dash is wrapped too tight, this creates heat and and causes abnormal activities, we unwrapped and untied all of the thick harness under the right side of the dash and viola no more ghosts....I HOPE THIS HELPS SOMEONE ELSE... the seatbelt sign was going off as it was resetting all of the electronics.

The service bulltein that 9speed referenced require the installation of an additional ground wire to the instrument cluster. It sounds like what you had happening with your trucks was a ground problem as well. The cab harness on the right side of the dash has several relays that power and activate various parts of the truck's electronics. If these relays do not power up properly it can cause all sorts of problems ranging from cluster drop out to no start situations, as well as the dreaded 9-2 fault code. By cutting the wires loose and providing more slack in the harness you probably rectified a problem with poor contact at one or more of the relays.

"Mebbe I'm too ugly and stupid to give up!"