E-9 500

GreenGiant2

book says 1660lb of torque (can we say underated) I know any other motor rated at that level that even come close to the performance of a E9

Transmission wise the older ones had air shift 12spds some of the later models had Mack 18 spd's best combo to me would depend on what the truck was going to be used for and rear ratio

E9-500 peak torque is 1660 lb ft @ 1300 rpms. Most E9's had Mack 9, 10 or 12 spds behind them. The E9's had a pretty broad operating range, but they are goverened at a maximum of 1900 rpms, so depending on rear ratio, you need something with a high overdrive ratio. We have an E9 with a 12 speed, 4.64 rear ratio, and 11R24.5 rubber and it runs easy at 65 mph, but 70 -72 mph it's pretty well stretched out.

Dave

See my Flickr photostream page

http://www.flickr.com/photos/96692978@N05/

E9-500 peak torque is 1660 lb ft @ 1300 rpms. Most E9's had Mack 9, 10 or 12 spds behind them. The E9's had a pretty broad operating range, but they are goverened at a maximum of 1900 rpms, so depending on rear ratio, you need something with a high overdrive ratio. We have an E9 with a 12 speed, 4.64 rear ratio, and 11R24.5 rubber and it runs easy at 65 mph, but 70 -72 mph it's pretty well stretched out.

Dave

thinkin of buying a 713,and want to do some home work, if i remember right didnt some of the v-8s have head issues, or is that the early versions. How are parts for the E9, and fuel milage.. what is the shift pattern like. had a mack with a tranny that was a 5 speed in low ,neutral ,reverse, and drive. is that what the 12 speeds are like. thats more torque than my 300L has,sounds like rollin a 100,000#s shouldnt be an issue, just have to make sure my idea will pay for its self..........thanks guys

D.smith

We the unwilling, Lead by the unqualified, are doing the impossible, for the ungrateful.

thinkin of buying a 713,and want to do some home work, if i remember right didnt some of the v-8s have head issues, or is that the early versions. How are parts for the E9, and fuel milage.. what is the shift pattern like. had a mack with a tranny that was a 5 speed in low ,neutral ,reverse, and drive. is that what the 12 speeds are like. thats more torque than my 300L has,sounds like rollin a 100,000#s shouldnt be an issue, just have to make sure my idea will pay for its self..........thanks guys

D.smith

sounds to me you allready have experiance with a 12 speed there dave, the gearbox you descibe sounds like the 12 speeders in my ultraliners and superliner i.e. one stick position 2 full gears i.e. first slot flick the button from low too direct and that is actually two gears , in reverse you shold have five and in deep set usually found on the dash in australia you will have gears allso. most of the so called head problems are related to inexperianced mechanics working on e9's. we have a few of the e9's screwed out to over 650 horses and have had no problems ,some have done head studs but that is a result of getting more horsepower out of them.if you leave the pump "i pressume you have a V pump and not a inline pump" alone and at its factory settings she should thump allong for many years to come.they have small power towers as well and will allways leak a little oil in the valley .amd another thing too watch for is the copper dynatard contact in the back of the bowl breaking but other than these small problems the are a relativly troble free engine ,we have one here that has clocked up over 2.5 million kays been rebuilt twice and is still on the origional block....the thing is is too ask as many questions as you can and make your mind up from there.i am so jelouse of you guys as the price you guys pay for these legends is a very small sum compared too australia where we can still pay anywhere beetween australian 55 two 100 thousand dollars for these units as they have become collectors items to a select few which has sent the price through the roof.any way hope this helps.

cheers spud

the 12 speeds were basicly a 6 speed that you could split each gear in 1/2. It would have a low low gear that was on the dash switch. a very good trans for a maxidyne spec engine. you also had 5 gears in reverse. with a maxidyne/loaded I would shift 1-2-3 then split 4th and 5th empty 1-2-3-4-5.

V8 fuel economy is poor considering todays standards. 5 mpg is about the avg it will get. parts prices can be compaired to CAT prices..(= big $$$$)the v8 fuel pump alone is almost the same cost of a E6 engine overhaul! Some parts are getting harder to locate as they are old engines now and volvo dont care for the old dogs.

the 12 speeds were basicly a 6 speed that you could split each gear in 1/2. It would have a low low gear that was on the dash switch. a very good trans for a maxidyne spec engine. you also had 5 gears in reverse. with a maxidyne/loaded I would shift 1-2-3 then split 4th and 5th empty 1-2-3-4-5.

V8 fuel economy is poor considering todays standards. 5 mpg is about the avg it will get. parts prices can be compaired to CAT prices..(= big $$$$)the v8 fuel pump alone is almost the same cost of a E6 engine overhaul! Some parts are getting harder to locate as they are old engines now and volvo dont care for the old dogs.

With the prices climbing , maybe i would be better to look for a superdog with a 6 in it.dont want to have to put alot of $$$ in to the truck not knowing if my idea will pan out.......i do like the sounds of how that shifts.

Thanks GG2

We the unwilling, Lead by the unqualified, are doing the impossible, for the ungrateful.

With the prices climbing , maybe i would be better to look for a superdog with a 6 in it.dont want to have to put alot of $$ in to the truck not knowing if my idea will pan out.......i do like the sounds of how that shifts.

Thanks GG2

If you want all of those reverse gears, the T309M and T310M transmissions are the closest thing to the 12 speed Mack gear boxes. The T310M shifts like a 9 speed but instead of a reverse position it has lo-lo. So in reverse you have lo-lo, lo, 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th. The T309M is a six speed that lets you split 1st to 3rd and then just shift to 4 - 5 and 6 and 1st to 6th in reverse. Just an idea.

-Thad

What America needs is less bull and more Bulldog!