New To Mack Trucks

I recently lost the engine in my main truck, an 01 Volvo, and it isn't worth touching at the moment. I test drove a Mack, and really liked the way it drove, quietness was on par with the Volvo (or at least a light year ahead of my Century that I am in stuck in now.) I was wondering, after reading all the problems with some of the trucks, if the pre-emission Macks were a lot better than the 04's? I have heard they were. Since I am new, some of these questions will seem odd..lol.

1. Does Mack use individual cylinder fuel pumps? Are these reliable?

2. The E7 engine, are they reliable? I had a Mack dealer tell me once the cam had failed and then updated, you were good from there on out. I am seeing trucks with about 900,000 miles on them, what is the service life of the Mack E7 if good maintenance was used?

3. Is it possible to get 7mpg with an E7, say 427 or 400? I keep seeing problems with the 460's in these forums.

I guess I realize there aren't as many Macks on the OTR scene, so if there are common sensors or stuff that fails, I would plan on carrying one or two.

I borrowed a CH on a trip about 10 years ago, and was impressed on the pulling power and the smoothness. Didn't like the sleeper wall right behind me, but it was a good truck.

So, make me a believer!!

I recently lost the engine in my main truck, an 01 Volvo, and it isn't worth touching at the moment. I test drove a Mack, and really liked the way it drove, quietness was on par with the Volvo (or at least a light year ahead of my Century that I am in stuck in now.) I was wondering, after reading all the problems with some of the trucks, if the pre-emission Macks were a lot better than the 04's? I have heard they were. Since I am new, some of these questions will seem odd..lol.

1. Does Mack use individual cylinder fuel pumps? Are these reliable?

2. The E7 engine, are they reliable? I had a Mack dealer tell me once the cam had failed and then updated, you were good from there on out. I am seeing trucks with about 900,000 miles on them, what is the service life of the Mack E7 if good maintenance was used?

3. Is it possible to get 7mpg with an E7, say 427 or 400? I keep seeing problems with the 460's in these forums.

I guess I realize there aren't as many Macks on the OTR scene, so if there are common sensors or stuff that fails, I would plan on carrying one or two.

I borrowed a CH on a trip about 10 years ago, and was impressed on the pulling power and the smoothness. Didn't like the sleeper wall right behind me, but it was a good truck.

So, make me a believer!!

Welcome to BMT!

All of the later E7's have individual pumps. Earlier E7's still use a traditional injection pump. The 460's were cursed with some problems but once the bugs have been worked out, they seem to be pretty dependable. I'm sure some others will chime in with more opinions from the field.

bmodel_logo.png
Barry - Watt's Truck Center Parts Manager and BMT Webmaster...1-888-304-MACK

Irishflyer,

I have a 2000 vision 427 with 1,055,000 miles and counting. The cam was done at 720,000. Other than that, a set of cylinder heads and bottom end bearings over the years. This truck is very reliable and I have no doubt it will serve me another million miles.

What He They Said!

Irishflyer I have a 2001 Mack vision with an E-tech E7 engine. It is set up with the Econodyne setting meaning the lowest power/torque profile and it's rated at 427Hp. I currently have 912,500 miles on it and have had o problems with the unit pump injectors. However at 600,000 or so I had to have a cam installed, the dealer recommended that I have the overhead run every 75,000 miles to prevent any further problems with the cam. So far after over 400,000 miles I have had to replace the oil cooler, the fan clutch, and at 800,000 the clutch (original). Almost forgot somewhere around 700,000 I had to get a new starter and alternator and 4 new batteries.

It loses about a gallon of coolant a week due to an improperly designed filler neck where the cap doesn't seal properly. That is about it though...except the Eaton rear ends..keep an eye on the end play I have nearly lost 2 wheels when the inner nuts backed off. If you get a wheel seal leak you better stop and get it looked at pronto. That can destroy the axle tube and if they come off get your but sued.

Overall I would buy anouther Mack any day of the week. It has been a great truck and has never let me down. If you have work done on it at a Mack dealer and something is screwed up they will fix it free of charge. When I had the cam replaced the dealer over torqued the harmonique balancer bolts and a week later it came off...NOT GOOD. I called the dealer and they paid for the tow to the nearest dealer and for ALL the repaires. I was told the bill would have been about $1,400.00 if It had come off for any other reason.The one year parts and labor warranty on ANY repair done at an authorized dealer isn't bull it's true. So I for one can and will say that it doesn't get much better.

By the way if you can find the E-7 in the Maxicruise power profile it will pull better than the Econodyne and if you drive it to save fuel you can get 7mpg I do. Good luck.

• Like 1

THE GREATEST NAME IN TRUCKS

MACK TRUCKS

One more thing, you will not find anouther truck that is as easy to drive. I have driven trucks 6 years newer than my ole Mack and couldn't believe how much easier it is to drive. The overall ergonomics is better and it's just less demanding to drive it. I drove an older CH a few years ago and the vision is light years ahead of it. Last year I drove aan 07 freightliner columbia around the block and was wore out by the time I got back to the starting point. The MACK's don't fall apart inside like some of the other brands either. Give it a shot.

• Like 1

THE GREATEST NAME IN TRUCKS

MACK TRUCKS