E7 427

We have a 1999 ch613 with e7 427. It had a new camshaft last fall after a local mechanic set the valve lash at TDC instead of on the flywheel mark. What a mess. Couple of week ago #6 EUP pops up with broken bolts. Had it fixed, Four hours later down the road, #5 goes. Had that fixed, new seals and bolts( changed all EUP bolts just in case) Now it makes oil. About half inch in 2 hours on the dipstick. The dealer changed both EUPs for new ones, scoped the holes, but it still making oil??/ Any ideas????

Adam

We have a 1999 ch613 with e7 427. It had a new camshaft last fall after a local mechanic set the valve lash at TDC instead of on the flywheel mark. What a mess. Couple of week ago #6 EUP pops up with broken bolts. Had it fixed, Four hours later down the road, #5 goes. Had that fixed, new seals and bolts( changed all EUP bolts just in case) Now it makes oil. About half inch in 2 hours on the dipstick. The dealer changed both EUPs for new ones, scoped the holes, but it still making oil??/ Any ideas????

Adam

The o-rings on the EUP's are probably leaking fuel into the oil pan. Did you replace the o-ring's on the EUP's that popped out? The "Mack" cam kit for the ETECH engine has the new upgraded EUP bolts included in it. Hope he put them in and not tossed them.

The o-rings on the EUP's are probably leaking fuel into the oil pan. Did you replace the o-ring's on the EUP's that popped out? The "Mack" cam kit for the ETECH engine has the new upgraded EUP bolts included in it. Hope he put them in and not tossed them.

All o rings where changed and all new bolts. the two leaking EUPs were replaced and had new o rings and bolts too... Shold also mention we pulled the fuel pump and check for leaks at the seal it looks good. this truck didn't make oil before the EUP came out. they swear they changed the bolts that came with the cam kit. This truck is driving me nuts... 3 weeks sitting.....

Adam

All o rings where changed and all new bolts. the two leaking EUPs were replaced and had new o rings and bolts too... Shold also mention we pulled the fuel pump and check for leaks at the seal it looks good. this truck didn't make oil before the EUP came out. they swear they changed the bolts that came with the cam kit. This truck is driving me nuts... 3 weeks sitting.....

Adam

three sources for fuel leaks into the pan are eups fuel pump seal and injectors as you have checked and replaced the first two, injectors is a vague possiblity!but seems unlikly.

I suspect either an oring was placed in the wrong location on the eups or there is a damaged oring on one of them!

three sources for fuel leaks into the pan are eups fuel pump seal and injectors as you have checked and replaced the first two, injectors is a vague possiblity!but seems unlikly.

I suspect either an oring was placed in the wrong location on the eups or there is a damaged oring on one of them!

dumb question but how would the injectors leak into the oil?? Orings were installed at 2 dealerships and rechecked last time as well...

dumb question but how would the injectors leak into the oil?? Orings were installed at 2 dealerships and rechecked last time as well...

The injectors in the heads have orings on them as well I highly doubt you had injector orings replaced at any point unless they removed them when replacing the cam.

there was no need to do that but it is possible!!

The injectors in the heads have orings on them as well I highly doubt you had injector orings replaced at any point unless they removed them when replacing the cam.

there was no need to do that but it is possible!!

If the oring was gone, wouldn't they leak out the high pressure tubing port?? The injector doesn,t sit in an oil galley does it??? I check around the hold down plug of each injector while it was idling and found no diesel there. Also I know they didn't pull the injectors while they did the cam.

Adam

We had a 99 RD that had the EUP bolts broken on a cylinder and the EUP damanged the block where the O-ring seals in the block and fuel would leak by into the oil pan. We had to take some JB Weld and (with customers approval) and repair the gouge and install the new style "Delta 3 piece lower O-ring" as per Mack service bulletin.

If the oring was gone, wouldn't they leak out the high pressure tubing port?? The injector doesn,t sit in an oil galley does it??? I check around the hold down plug of each injector while it was idling and found no diesel there. Also I know they didn't pull the injectors while they did the cam.

Adam

The fuel comes up around the injector does not always go out the injecton line,if you pull the plug on top of the injector its quite easy to see if there is fuel sitting on top! I beleive 68 likly has a good thought here if the bore is scored that may be your answer.

The fuel comes up around the injector does not always go out the injecton line,if you pull the plug on top of the injector its quite easy to see if there is fuel sitting on top! I beleive 68 likly has a good thought here if the bore is scored that may be your answer.

I will have to take off the caps then... We used a borescope and it all looked good. Only thing I could add would be, that when we put the first EUP back on we noticed a nick in the small fuel line from the head to return. I only had some clear fuel line so I temporarily used it. I did notice that there really wasn't any fuel flow in it. Slowly worked it was to the head from the return line. I thought it peculiar, but alway have had the heavy nylon stuff from mack, so I don't know what it should do.

Adam

We had a 99 RD that had the EUP bolts broken on a cylinder and the EUP damanged the block where the O-ring seals in the block and fuel would leak by into the oil pan. We had to take some JB Weld and (with customers approval) and repair the gouge and install the new style "Delta 3 piece lower O-ring" as per Mack service bulletin.

Although the bores looked ok , I have to ask Delta 3 piece o-ring?? I looked at the orings that came in the packet, they look like normal o rings. one for the top none for the middle and one lower...

adam

Although the bores looked ok , I have to ask Delta 3 piece o-ring?? I looked at the orings that came in the packet, they look like normal o rings. one for the top none for the middle and one lower...

adam

Ok had a look at the orings, there are only two, package says the middle one is superceded. Part # 8609-EHL243. I tried looking it up and I could only find this number for a 2006 model. Have I got the wrong rings?????

Adam

Ok had a look at the orings, there are only two, package says the middle one is superceded. Part # 8609-EHL243. I tried looking it up and I could only find this number for a 2006 model. Have I got the wrong rings?????

Adam

They dont use the middle o-ring any more. You have to ask for the special Delta o-ring kit, part# 1899-O71356 or reffer them to Mack service bulletin SB221038 In the kit the top oring is the same but the bottom o-ring has a triangle shaped o-ring with 2 plastic rings on either side.

They dont use the middle o-ring any more. You have to ask for the special Delta o-ring kit, part# 1899-O71356 or reffer them to Mack service bulletin SB221038 In the kit the top oring is the same but the bottom o-ring has a triangle shaped o-ring with 2 plastic rings on either side.

Thank you very much. You have to wonder how 2 dealerships missed this.

Adam

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Sorry for bringing this back, My 2001 E7-427 is now "making" oil. Power steering level is now going lower. Any connection such as seal/ gasket. Or looking to replace O-rings. Can this be done by shade tree mechanics (me), or have a real mechanic? Thanks, Ed

Success is only a stones throw away.................................................................for a Palestinian

Sorry for bringing this back, My 2001 E7-427 is now "making" oil. Power steering level is now going lower. Any connection such as seal/ gasket. Or looking to replace O-rings. Can this be done by shade tree mechanics (me), or have a real mechanic? Thanks, Ed

Sounds like the front seal in the p/s pump has gone bad. I'm assuming your pump is gear driven from an auxilary drive on the engine? This drive would be lubricated with engine oil and if the front seal in the pump is in fact bad, the mating/driving portion is where the two are commonly joined.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.