Tranny Swap

genoredstar

I've got an 87 r model into which i've transplanted an e7 300, soon to be 350 when i swap the pump. Need info on injectors and turbo. Can I run with what's stock for the 300 or do I need to upgrade as well. Any part #'s would be helpful. Along with thiese upgrades, i'm looking to further the truck from obsolesence to 2010 by swapping the tranny to an overdrive to lower cruising rpms and increase roadspeed to around 75 mph to 80 mph @ 2000 rpms. I'm running 4.17's with 22.5's and currently am getting 62 @ 2100 rpm which is alot for the E7. the rest of the truck is superb and wants to keep living. If youv'e got info pass it along. Also deals on parts will be greatly appreciated! Geno

I've got an 87 r model into which i've transplanted an e7 300, soon to be 350 when i swap the pump. Need info on injectors and turbo. Can I run with what's stock for the 300 or do I need to upgrade as well. Any part #'s would be helpful. Along with thiese upgrades, i'm looking to further the truck from obsolesence to 2010 by swapping the tranny to an overdrive to lower cruising rpms and increase roadspeed to around 75 mph to 80 mph @ 2000 rpms. I'm running 4.17's with 22.5's and currently am getting 62 @ 2100 rpm which is alot for the E7. the rest of the truck is superb and wants to keep living. If youv'e got info pass it along. Also deals on parts will be greatly appreciated! Geno

I'd suggest a TRTXL1070B Mack 12 speed. It will still have plenty of low end reduction when you put the air shift front box into deep reduction and the stick in 1st gear, yet it is also overdrive in 5th hi.

Plus,you can split each gear if you need or want to.

"If You Can't Shift It Smoothly, You Shouldn't Be Driving It"

Herb's suggestion (12 sp) is the best. But that trans is getting real hard to find. I've changed two of my 6 sp directs to T2090 9 sp with .71 overdrive. They work great with 4.42 rears. Run 75 opened up on the interstates. Had to resize the driveshafts, change the pto, and pump direction. This trans may be too fast with 4.11 rears. The Roadranger 8LL (.78 or .86 overdrive) may be a good choice. But then it won't be all Mack! Many have had ring and pinion problems with 4.11 rears in an on/off road applications. Just something to think about.

Herb's suggestion (12 sp) is the best. But that trans is getting real hard to find. I've changed two of my 6 sp directs to T2090 9 sp with .71 overdrive. They work great with 4.42 rears. Run 75 opened up on the interstates. Had to resize the driveshafts, change the pto, and pump direction. This trans may be too fast with 4.11 rears. The Roadranger 8LL (.78 or .86 overdrive) may be a good choice. But then it won't be all Mack! Many have had ring and pinion problems with 4.11 rears in an on/off road applications. Just something to think about.

I've had trucks with the t-2090 and 4.17's its a fair set up more reduction would be better I would prefer the Mack 13, if you was going to go fuller 15spd would be great with those gears

Wow some good answers there a TRTXL1017B would be a goos one but they are getting hard to find. The t2090 to me is a great tranny but it has a big step from 8th to 9th not good with a little motor and a big load. I think you could find a 13spd mack easier than the 1070 and it will be a lot cheaper, try Weller Reman they keep a great stock of reman trannys with warranty. They woreked with me on swapping one model for another if its something they sell frequently, most places wont give you a core credit for a different tranny than what you buy, if I remember right they are the same length too. Ryan

"Any Society that would give up a little LIBERTY to gain a little SECURITY will Deserve Neither and LOSE BOTH" -Benjamin Franklin

"If your gonna be STUPID, you gotta be TOUGH"

"You cant always get what you want, but if you try sometimes you get what you need"

Remember if you go with the Fuller you will need the mounts on the bell housing.

I actually just thought about it but my CH had a T2090 w 3:89 Mack rears it runs best around 1600rpm which puts it around 72mph with low pro 24.5 tires if that info helps ya. Ryan

"Any Society that would give up a little LIBERTY to gain a little SECURITY will Deserve Neither and LOSE BOTH" -Benjamin Franklin

"If your gonna be STUPID, you gotta be TOUGH"

"You cant always get what you want, but if you try sometimes you get what you need"