Mystery Component

Underdog

I am re-plumbing the air system on my 1963 F-model and came across this component:

post-2694-12619295914126_thumb.jpgpost-2694-12619295596545_thumb.jpg

My best guess would be some sort of air dryer or moisture removal, activated by brake application. I have not had any luck researching the part number; apparently it is an obsolete item. Part number on the top is "WAGNER AE-21882" on the bottom is "WAGNER AD-21884". The location gives no clue, either. It is plumbed between the reservoir and the drive axle service brake chambers, Teed in to the outlet of the quick release valve. Any help solving this mystery would be helpful. Thanks guys.

Gregg

I think its a moisture separator. I remember Gearheadgirl posing a similar picture of a mystery component from her B model. Turns out its a moisture separator which was used in the days before air dryers. It should have three ports, an input, output and a moisture drain that might be a hose barb. Hers was located on the rear near the axle(s). If you decide to plumb an air dryer into the system, you can do away with this device (if description is correct).

-Thad

What America needs is less bull and more Bulldog!

I think its a moisture separator. I remember Gearheadgirl posing a similar picture of a mystery component from her B model. Turns out its a moisture separator which was used in the days before air dryers. It should have three ports, an input, output and a moisture drain that might be a hose barb. Hers was located on the rear near the axle(s). If you decide to plumb an air dryer into the system, you can do away with this device (if description is correct).

That is what I thought, and purge is activated by brake application. Since I have installed an AD-9 air dryer I will put this Wagner unit in the box marked "posterity".

sorry...I know I need help. This is a serious topic, not "Odds and Ends". As you know, the first step to recovery is to admit you have a problem, so I guess i'm well on my way then.

Some of history's greatest artists were considered to be eccentric during their lives. Only when they are gone is the genius truly appreciated...

Life is only as serious as you allow it to be. You gotta be a little crazy or you might go insane!

Gregg

Some of history's greatest artists were considered to be eccentric during their lives. Only when they are gone is the genius truly appreciated...

Life is only as serious as you allow it to be. You gotta be a little crazy or you might go insane!

Gregg

Well, I hope somebody is keeping a record of my geniousiosity then!

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.

Man, the things guys do when their Pete is broke down.

Rob

Truck's broke down, everything's shut down for Christmas, there was a foot of snow on the ground, now there's 2 inches of snow and 6 inches of mud on the ground- the excuses go on and on. I'll call headquarters right now and see if i'm getting out of here today.

Well, I hope somebody is keeping a record of my geniousiosity then!

I is. In fact, I've just added a few more pages to the journal anticipating the future good deeds you will convey.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

I is. In fact, I've just added a few more pages to the journal anticipating the future good deeds you will convey.

Rob

I should have been printing all my pictures all along and making a book, could have called it "BMT Funnies". Now most of them have been deleted long ago. Oh well, I didn't even know I was a genious 'til yesterday. :blink:

I should have been printing all my pictures all along and making a book, could have called it "BMT Funnies". Now most of them have been deleted long ago. Oh well, I didn't even know I was a genious 'til yesterday. blink.gif

See, another entry to the good book. I always thought you spelt genious as: Jeanyus.

Thank you.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Getting back to being a serious post. If you look at the first picture and top 90 degree elbow were to line up with the lower 90 degree elbow and you place a piece of clear plastic tube between the two, then you can gauge how much water is in the system. This would then let you know when to drain the system.

See, it wasn't all that hard.

Jim

Rustednut

Thank you one and all for the responses. If I must choose one answer from the three provided I am going with the moisture separator, judging by the location in the system. Besides, my JEANYOSOSITY tells me it is so.

Gregg

Ya know, if you went with the clear tube idea between the fittings, then drove the truck in cold, humid weather before long you could tell the level of ice in the air brake system. Of course this may be beneficial cause the brakes would not overheat and fading could be kept to a minimum.

Maybe that is something me and Other Dog should seek a patent on.

See how smart I be? This prolly makes me a double geeeeenieous!!

Maybe now I can get my own Nobel Prize, (since they just give them away nowadays).

Rob

Ya know, if you went with the clear tube idea between the fittings, then drove the truck in cold, humid weather before long you could tell the level of ice in the air brake system. Of course this may be beneficial cause the brakes would not overheat and fading could be kept to a minimum.

Maybe that is something me and Other Dog should seek a patent on.

See how smart I be? This prolly makes me a double geeeeenieous!!

Maybe now I can get my own Nobel Prize, (since they just give them away nowadays).

Rob

You have inadvertently tipped your hand, Rob. If you were truly of Nobel prize caliber in the genius genus, then you would also be aware that AL GORE (Nobel prize recipient) has already determined that in the very near future there will be NO ICE available to cool our brakes, due to global warming.

You have inadvertently tipped your hand, Rob. If you were truly of Nobel prize caliber in the genius genus, then you would also be aware that AL GORE (Nobel prize recipient) has already determined that in the very near future there will be NO ICE available to cool our brakes, due to global warming.

Yur prolly right again Gregg. I'll have to seek entrepreneur dollars, (i.e. government grant monies funded by the little people that pay taxes) to further investigate the feasibility of using bleed air from either APU's, or DPF's new trucks must have, to boil off and evaporate amonium concentrate refrigerant used to chill a temperature reducing vessel/chamber to form ice used for cooling brakes. Of course the preliminary research invested into this new technology adds nearly 1250 pounds total weight to the average automotive conveyance, but being a completely self contained and hermetically sealed system, lt is deemed safe for use by my close buds, the "Greenies". As a second vehicle for implementation it could be downsized, and as a safety item be mandated for usage on all passenger carrying vehicles.

All in the name of saving "Gods Green Earth", and protecting ourselves, from ourselves, you know.

Damn, I hate having to work for my nomination. Nobody else does.

Rob

Do you stay up late at night to think of this stuff?

No, not really. I suppose it comes naturally. Always been like that. Some say a vivid imagination is my limitation; I see it as challenge.

Truthfully, it took between three and four minutes to type that out and another five, (or so) to proofread, and condense to render legibility to other readers. I do the best I can with my limited education and skills.

Thanks for your inquiry.

Rob

Yur prolly right again Gregg. I'll have to seek entrepreneur dollars, (i.e. government grant monies funded by the little people that pay taxes) to further investigate the feasibility of using bleed air from either APU's, or DPF's new trucks must have, to boil off and evaporate amonium concentrate refrigerant used to chill a temperature reducing vessel/chamber to form ice used for cooling brakes. Of course the preliminary research invested into this new technology adds nearly 1250 pounds total weight to the average automotive conveyance, but being a completely self contained and hermetically sealed system, lt is deemed safe for use by my close buds, the "Greenies". As a second vehicle for implementation it could be downsized, and as a safety item be mandated for usage on all passenger carrying vehicles.

All in the name of saving "Gods Green Earth", and protecting ourselves, from ourselves, you know.

Damn, I hate having to work for my nomination. Nobody else does.

Rob

I just used one of these.