But Officer My Gps Told Me To

Double L

Why I don't care for them things........LOL!!

They've been upgrading Rt. 30 through Ohio and with new 4 lane being added over the last few years the old GPS will constantly show you driving through a field say "recalculating".

I've made it this far without one, will likely continue without one.

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

Drove to Florida a year ago a week before Christmas...me and my family in our Jeep, in-laws in the other vehicle. They 'led' the way with their trusty GPS. We had a total of 5 roads to take to get there. The GPS effed up and took us in a circle of some sorts. We got to where we had to go finally and I said...Told you so! Nothing beats a map...a stack of which I keep in the truck.

Ever wonder how a blind person knows when to stop wiping?

gallery_1977_876_21691.jpg

The one good thing I can say about having GPS is that you have SOME sort of proof that you weren't speeding when the corrupt cop decides to write you a BS ticket to make himself look good.

When I was pulling tankers, it'd take an hour or so to unload so I had my laptop in the truck with internet access...and had a map software with a GPS receiver that plugged into the USB. Rarely did I ever program in where I was going...mostly used it to check my speedometer and as insurance against the BS tickets. Sure enough, after I switched to dumps, I quit taking the laptop with me...never had time to use it and it was just taking up space. Then I got the dog, and there's no ROOM in the daycab for the dog AND the laptop. Wasn't even 6 months after the dog started riding along with me, I was bouncing to get my next load...cruise set at 55 mph (and I know my speedometer is dead-on accurate from when I WAS running GPS). The car that had turned in ahead of me back in the last town was pulling away steadily when a cop popped up over the next hill. Cop flips around and pulls ME over. Said I was going 62, that folks had been complaining about the speeding coal trucks, and that I was going to get a ticket. I told him no way in hell was I going 62...that I had the cruise set at the 55 mph speed limit. I asked him about the car ahead of me that was pulling away and he said he clocked the car at 57 mph. I'm STILL not sure how that works. He said it'd look bad on HIM if he only gave me a warning, so he wrote the citation for 62 in a 55. How do you prove you WEREN'T speeding when you have a lying sack of excrement with a badge saying you were? :idunno: A GPS would have been handy that day...would have saved me $75 and a moving violation on my record.

Sucked, too...I was only 3 months away from the 72-in-a-70 I got in Missouri at 6 AM on a Sunday morning ON MY MOTORCYCLE dropping off my MVR. :angry:

When approaching a 4-way stop, the vehicle with the biggest tires has the right of way!

Drove to Florida a year ago a week before Christmas...me and my family in our Jeep, in-laws in the other vehicle. They 'led' the way with their trusty GPS. We had a total of 5 roads to take to get there. The GPS effed up and took us in a circle of some sorts. We got to where we had to go finally and I said...Told you so! Nothing beats a map...a stack of which I keep in the truck.

Just a couple weeks ago I rode along with a couple friend to go look at a car. It was about an hour away, but he took his Garmin to make it easier to find the address. Well................after it led us on a crazy back road goosechase we finally ended up at the residence. We were 4 minutes north of the interstate, but it took us 20 minutes through zig zags on the back country roads to get there. When we left, we simple drove 4 minutes south and got back on the interstate to get home. We still marveled at all the roads it put us on to get there. It defaults "shortest route", but this was ridiculous.

If I'm traveling, I'll google a map, get basic directions to where I'm going, then look closely at where it sends me and adjust for my convienence.

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

Just a couple weeks ago I rode along with a couple friend to go look at a car. It was about an hour away, but he took his Garmin to make it easier to find the address. Well................after it led us on a crazy back road goosechase we finally ended up at the residence. We were 4 minutes north of the interstate, but it took us 20 minutes through zig zags on the back country roads to get there. When we left, we simple drove 4 minutes south and got back on the interstate to get home. We still marveled at all the roads it put us on to get there. It defaults "shortest route", but this was ridiculous.

If I'm traveling, I'll google a map, get basic directions to where I'm going, then look closely at where it sends me and adjust for my convienence.

Haven't ya heard? It ain't the destination....it's the journey :tease:

When approaching a 4-way stop, the vehicle with the biggest tires has the right of way!

Sucked, too...I was only 3 months away from the 72-in-a-70 I got in Missouri at 6 AM on a Sunday morning ON MY MOTORCYCLE dropping off my MVR. :angry:

Most of my tickets were for actually VIOLATING the speed limit. I'd be more pissed about a 72 in a 70 ticket than I would be the few I've gotten...84/65...70.63/55 (the cop from the airplane...a fucking airplane...got my speed down to the hundreth...and the 'arresting' officer had the nerve to write it on the ticket) 87/55...the list goes on.

In a couple weeks Illinois is finally dumping the archaic 55mph split limit for trucks. Look out old people!!! The big bad semi trucks are gonna getcha!

Family trip to Gatlinburg last year. I AM taking 95 to 26. Lady was pissed in the GPS, I kept ignoring her telling me to turn here now to move to Turnpike/75. I am NOT going thru Atlanta.

Success is only a stones throw away.................................................................for a Palestinian

Well we can look on the bright side, at least it wasn't a Mack that crashed through that brick house. :lol::thumb:

Wish I'd snapped a pic yesterday. Volvo at the truck stop was nosed into the ditch pretty hard. I guess he got out and either used the trailer brake valve as a parking brake and bumped it while getting out or forgot to set the brakes altogether....but he was nowhere around the truck when it started rolling towards the ditch. After I loaded, I pulled in to offer to pull 'em out for $50, but they said the wrecker was already on it's way. Bummer. I couldda used the money. :angry:

At the end of the day, I stopped in at the truck stop again to get some additive for last night and talked to the people inside about it...they said "The wrecker wasn't the expensive part...it was the crane they needed to use to unload the logs and put 'em on another truck." I guess the ditch did some damage to the front end. Sad thing is, I've seen Mack's take harder hits to the steer axle and not even knock it out of alignment. B)

I never understood why these new school drivers use the johnny bar as brakes. It says NOT FOR PARKING! They make that yeller and red knob for a reason, those are called spring brakes. They serve a purpose! Just goes to show how crappy Volvo is. Let me ask ya how deep was the ditch? Let me also ask ya was it one of them new VN series or was it them old WIA's?

I never understood why these new school drivers use the johnny bar as brakes. It says NOT FOR PARKING! They make that yeller and red knob for a reason, those are called spring brakes. They serve a purpose! Just goes to show how crappy Volvo is. Let me ask ya how deep was the ditch? Let me also ask ya was it one of them new VN series or was it them old WIA's?

Drivers OLD and new in trucks across the board have made and will make that mistake every day. I've seen it a few times...and done it once, but not with bad results.

I refuse to park behind a guy who jumps out of his truck and the brake lights are still on...

No GPS for me. I love technology but I firmly believe one should learn to navigate on their own with a map. Maps don't have batteries or need satellite signals, some don't mind getting wet either. GPS is a nice idea but all too often people rely on it to the point where they cant go anywhere without one. Nowadays I use Google maps and don't even bother using it for directions. I just print a map of the local area I am going to if its necessary (usually when lots of turns around local streets are involved.)

The other day I was talking to my friend who was excited he navigated using a map instead of a GPS. I said "Welcome to the club, although your 12 years late."

-Thad

What America needs is less bull and more Bulldog!