Engine Swap - Clueless

wyodog

Gentlemen --

I have a B-42S that I am looking to swap out the gasser and put in a diesel. I have a Detroit 671, which is simply to big, over 54 inches long. And while I could make it fit but cutting into the cab, the cab is small enough on it town without putting a doghouse in it. I now have a lead on trading my 671 for a Cummins 6BT. While the 6BT is right about the same size as the original gasser in terms of over all physical size, I just am going back and forth on if it will be powerful enough.

I am looking for some over all suggestions to help get me pointed in the right direction. I will say that I am very new to dealing with Mack trucks and big diesels. I know that what I will be doing with the truck will determine the over all horsepower I'll need and such. The truck will be doing medium to light duty tasks. I will be putting a 20 foot flat bed on this truck, to haul some of my older vehicles, and towing from time to time a 24 foot enclosed trailer.

I also know a lot will also depend on the transmissions and the gearing... A ton of "ifs"... But the cummins is a great deal for me, and from my research they used it in light duty and buses so it might be just what I need. But I thought I would come to the experts and find out what you think.

Thank you for your time and help!

--Josh

Do it right.

Find a ENDT 675 Maxidyne engine and a Mack TRL 107 or TRXL 107 or 1071 transmission and swap it in there.

Your existing transmission from the gas engine will not be suitable for use with a diesel, and you may also have to go to a faster rear axle ratio or use an overdrive trans, such as an Eaton Fuller 9 or 13 speed, to achieve a decent top end road speed, since the Maxidyne has a max. RPM of 2100.

As far as physical exterior dimensions of a ENDT 675, it's the same as the 673 / 711 which was used in B61's etc, which have the same nose, and hence the same size engine compartment as the B42.

"If You Can't Shift It Smoothly, You Shouldn't Be Driving It"

HK -- Thanks for the info. I come from a ford background, and so I always believed a ford engine should go into a ford truck. I guess the same should apply to my Mack... :-)

Couple more questions for you. Finding a ENDT 675 Maxidyne, What years / Models trucks should I be looking for? Anything worth noting to avoid on these engines? And honestly if I find a running in good to fair condition engine, what should I expect to pay-ish?

--Josh

HK -- Thanks for the info. I come from a ford background, and so I always believed a ford engine should go into a ford truck. I guess the same should apply to my Mack... :-)

Couple more questions for you. Finding a ENDT 675 Maxidyne, What years / Models trucks should I be looking for? Anything worth noting to avoid on these engines? And honestly if I find a running in good to fair condition engine, what should I expect to pay-ish?

--Josh

The ENDT675 was made roughly from 1967 to 1987.

It will be found in trucks with the engine code "85" in the model number, such as R685, DM685, U685, DM885 etc.

I've seen them advertised lately for $2000 - 2500 for supposedly good running engines.

Best thing to do is find a truck that you can remove both the engine and trans from.

"If You Can't Shift It Smoothly, You Shouldn't Be Driving It"

As in "Wyoming Dog"????

Can't be that many Wyoming's except that one in Michigan.

Where you at??

Packer

(In Green River)

And that Cummins is a great motor!

Should fit right in and lots of power.

Hey Packer --

I was born and raised Cheyenne. I now live in Loveland CO, but my wife's family and my mother are still in Cheyenne. We also have very good friends up in Casper. So while yes I am a greenie now, I still have my ties to Wyoming and am up there often. I don't know when I will be in the Green River area next, but we should keep in contact and we could do coffee sometime?

Thanks for your input about the Cummins too. I would love to go all Mack, but money is tight and I am really leaning toward this motor...

--Josh

Edited by wyodog

I do have a low miles 672 (170-80 horse) and duplex, clutch, etc.

Also may have a 237 horse and transmission.

Let me know if I can help you out.

I'll be in your area near Christmas - - - might hook up then!

Packer

(307)871-4577

Keep a clutchin'

I've got a 1942 "E" Mack I'm going to put a Cummins in with a 'baby' Quadraplex, or maybe a full size Quad box.

Should get good milage and more power and torque than a gasser.

hope to have it going this next year.

I've got an 'E' that's stock and I want to have a big pick-up that I can hit highway speeds and pull my 35 foot 5th wheel.

It's gotta be a Mack, at least on the hood!

Packer

Keep a clutchin'

Packer --

I sent you a message, but I would like to hear more about your 237 and transmission. I will try and give you a call sometime this week if I don't happen to hear from you. Thanks!

--Josh

I do have a low miles 672 (170-80 horse) and duplex, clutch, etc.

Also may have a 237 horse and transmission.

Let me know if I can help you out.

I'll be in your area near Christmas - - - might hook up then!

Packer

(307)871-4577

Gentlemen --

I have a B-42S that I am looking to swap out the gasser and put in a diesel. I have a Detroit 671, which is simply to big, over 54 inches long. And while I could make it fit but cutting into the cab, the cab is small enough on it town without putting a doghouse in it. I now have a lead on trading my 671 for a Cummins 6BT. While the 6BT is right about the same size as the original gasser in terms of over all physical size, I just am going back and forth on if it will be powerful enough.

I am looking for some over all suggestions to help get me pointed in the right direction. I will say that I am very new to dealing with Mack trucks and big diesels. I know that what I will be doing with the truck will determine the over all horsepower I'll need and such. The truck will be doing medium to light duty tasks. I will be putting a 20 foot flat bed on this truck, to haul some of my older vehicles, and towing from time to time a 24 foot enclosed trailer.

I also know a lot will also depend on the transmissions and the gearing... A ton of "ifs"... But the cummins is a great deal for me, and from my research they used it in light duty and buses so it might be just what I need. But I thought I would come to the experts and find out what you think.

Thank you for your time and help!

--Josh

I did the same swap on a '63 B42P. What saved me a lot of pain and aggravation was buying the front half of a donor truck, a'65 B61SX. The Mack frames are pre-drilled to accept gas and diesels. You'll need to swap the front cross member and the transmission mounts. As for an engine, I used a END-673. A 237 should bolt right in with some bolt on mods,possibly the bellhousing to position the starter and avoid interference. I also put in a TRTL-720 Triplex. I kept the original rear axle but swapped out the carrier from single reduction to double reduction with a 4.62 final drive. Over all, a very easy swap if you use Mack components. The donor truck was invaluable for all the small bits you'll need, radiator shutters, brackets plumbing. That cut down significantly on parts hunting and fabrication. You can use any engine you really want, if you have the time, patience and resources to expend. I would recommend swapping the transmission as well, the small one won't stand up to long with a bigger diesel. I ended up with a really fun truck that has enough power for what I need, hauling antique cars on a roll back body I added and speed, I can do 65 MPH all day turning about 1700 RPM's. Top end is about 80+ MPH, but don't forget you have to stop all that weight. Good luck, Matt

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you all whom have shared your advice. With regards to all of this, I fell into a spot of luck. About half a mile away from our shop is Loveland ReadyMix concrete. They used to operate 16 B model Macks back in the day. They still have this B-53 that is all original, and they have been using around the yard as a dump truck. I bought that truck from them today. The body and sheet metal is much better from my B-42, but this truck has a diesel (not sure what engine yet), quadruplex. The rear axles seem to have the better air bakes, and lower gear ratio then the ones I have now.

I do have a question, and I should move this question into the suspension part of the forum, but... On my B-42 I have the Camelback suspension, on the B-53 it's the beam style. I would like to use the B-42 frame as it appears to be in better shape, but the B-53 has the better axles. If I wanted to move the axles from the 53 to the 42 what options if any do I have?

A. Will the axles move over and bolt into place with a little amount of fab work.

B. Would it be better to take the entire tandem setup and move it over suspension and all?

C. Swap out the inners of the axle housing and do it that way?

D. ????

Thanks!

Josh

MACK.jpg

Edited by wyodog

How about just swapping the drop-ins'??

Pretty fast swap and not much of a time comsuming job.

Brakes are easy and cheap and if there is any question, replace the linings and seals while you're in there.

As you are aware, I met your mom and she's a great gal!!! Tell her I said "Hi"~

Packer

Keep a clutchin'

Garth's right on this - if the differentials are the same, and I believe that they probably are,

why not just swap the carriers from one truck to another? Both the B42 and the B-53 were heavy duty chassis designed for dump truck and mixer work.

The camelback suspension and the beam and block suspension are both very hard riding without a substantial load, so one is probably just as good as the other for purposes of restoring a truck. The bushings and parts for the camelbacks might be a little easier to come by, if you need. And re-drilling the frame is no easy task for a suspension swap.

There is, however, one glaring question in all of this - and that is ----

How comfortable are you with Garth meeting your mother???????

Paul Van Scott

Hey, Paul!!

I was a perfect gentileman!!!!!

We went out for a bite to eat and talked a bit and that's it!!!!!!!

She is really a neat lady and I had a great time.

Here's the funny:

I had talked to Wyodog (Josh) about "B"'s and yacked a bit then, without anything between mom and son,

I met Mom.

The chances of meeting mom and son with-in about 6 weeks time, and knowing who son was, is way out there

as far as chances go!!

So put your naughty thoughts away!!!!

Packer

Keep a clutchin'

Hey Packer --

Yeah, this has been the true definition of "It's a small world". I have to admit it took me off guard at first... Next time you are in the area we need to see about meeting up.

--------------------

With regards to the carriers, that does sound like the best option, and the most obvious. And that was the way I was leaning, but I just wanted to be 100% sure and ask someone who know this stuff better then I do. In the past it's always the things that seem obvious to me that end up getting me into trouble.

Thanks!