End Lift Jacks:

Rob

Some of you guys that work in truck shops should be able to answer this but how much would one of these types be used in a shop on older trucks? I've talked to a couple of places that service newer stuff and am told they are obsolete due to clearance issues, but they used to be quite common.

Thanks,

Rob

post-78-12596866884125_thumb.jpg

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Some of you guys that work in truck shops should be able to answer this but how much would one of these types be used in a shop on older trucks? I've talked to a couple of places that service newer stuff and am told they are obsolete due to clearance issues, but they used to be quite common.

Thanks,

Rob

they use one similar to that, only a little smaller looking, a lot at the shop. They use it to lift the whole back of a trailer off the floor, and under the back of the frame on trucks when changing tires and lining brakes.

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.

they use one similar to that, only a little smaller looking, a lot at the shop. They use it to lift the whole back of a trailer off the floor, and under the back of the frame on trucks when changing tires and lining brakes.

Hi Tom, I've seen in days gone by the same type used for full frame cars when they had a bumper on the front for the same purpose. A young cousin of mine likes to chain a truck to the upright where he works and lift the rear of the truck when doing clutches. Says a lot of times doesn't need to remove the plastic, or fuel tanks on new trucks for clearance. I don't anticipate doing that often myself, but more for tire and front end work than anything.

The photo is off of ebay. I know of one close to home but don't want to purchase it is not going to be used. It takes up a bit of room.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Hi Tom, I've seen in days gone by the same type used for full frame cars when they had a bumper on the front for the same purpose. A young cousin of mine likes to chain a truck to the upright where he works and lift the rear of the truck when doing clutches. Says a lot of times doesn't need to remove the plastic, or fuel tanks on new trucks for clearance. I don't anticipate doing that often myself, but more for tire and front end work than anything.

The photo is off of ebay. I know of one close to home but don't want to purchase it is not going to be used. It takes up a bit of room.

Rob

It saves a lot of time because you can do a whole axle, sometimes both axles, at once instead of jacking up one side at a time. It'll free up a jack and stand or two if you need to jack up something else and when you're not using it you can lean tires against it or even use it like my old excercise bike, to hang clothes on.

It saves a lot of time because you can do a whole axle, sometimes both axles, at once instead of jacking up one side at a time. It'll free up a jack and stand or two if you need to jack up something else and when you're not using it you can lean tires against it or even use it like my old excercise bike, to hang clothes on.

You and Momma do the same things with your exercise bikes. Me, I don't have the energy to waste, so I don't use it.

Rob

Thanks,

Rob

Hi Rob.

We had a jack identical to the one pictured when I worked in the shop at Van Handels (1986 - 87).

It was handy for clutch jobs & trans removals as you could jack the front of the truck way up and get enough clearance to roll the transmission jack & trans out from under the truck.

One thing you had to watch out for was damaged bumper brackets on the DM 600's. If the brackets were cracked or damaged they would not take the strain of lifting the whole front of the truck. (this was the old type DM bumper brackets 87 - back).

With a tilt hood, you cannot open the hood while the truck is on that type of jack.

"If You Can't Shift It Smoothly, You Shouldn't Be Driving It"

Rob,

We inherited one of those end lift jacks several years ago.

It has been collecting dust since! I don't think we have ever used it!

It might be useful for getting the front end off the ground with a non-tilting hood,

or maybe getting the rear end off the ground if it straddles the frame rails in a stable fashion.

With the old trucks, you might find an occasional use, but if you don't need it - it really isn't

worth going out to get.

Many, many other ways to spend money!

Paul VS

I agree with a lot of ways to spend money, that's why I'm trying to be "thrifty" rather than jump at the chance for more tools. Don't want to buy what won't be used if something I've got will suffice.

I thought about not being able to open a tilt hood and that is a detriment to the purchase in itself. I think I'd rather have an air assisted floor jack and more floor stands as most work on these things is performed on the floor anyways.

Thanks for all the help.

Rob

yeah, you could donate to the "Other dog ain't got no money and ain't likely to git none no time soon" fund. Cash, checks, and money orders accepted. biggrin.gif

Hey you could apply at my new trucking venture: "The Shoe Leather Express". I could buy a bunch of Peterbilts and would need a parts runner!! 40 hours per week and the best physical fitness program ever offered by employer without employee shared cost in the open air gymnasium!!

Waiting to sign you up!!

Rob

I agree with a lot of ways to spend money, that's why I'm trying to be "thrifty" rather than jump at the chance for more tools. Don't want to buy what won't be used if something I've got will suffice.

I thought about not being able to open a tilt hood and that is a detriment to the purchase in itself. I think I'd rather have an air assisted floor jack and more floor stands as most work on these things is performed on the floor anyways.

Thanks for all the help.

Rob

i'd say the trailer work justifies it's being at the shop, that's mainly what they use it for. Gotta get 'em in and out quick sometimes, and they have over a hundred trailers.

Friend had the car/pickup hand jack version of that jack growing up. Of course that was back when cars had real bumpers on them. We used that jack til the paint was wore off it! Changing tires on his 7" lifted Suburban was much easier with that jack. 38" tires on it to boot! We used to call it the "schoolbus" cause it was so freak'n tall/long.

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

Hey you could apply at my new trucking venture: "The Shoe Leather Express". I could buy a bunch of Peterbilts and would need a parts runner!! 40 hours per week and the best physical fitness program ever offered by employer without employee shared cost in the open air gymnasium!!

Waiting to sign you up!!

Rob

send me an appliction-or can I just do it online?

I took a load of kyanite to Greensboro in a van today. My flatbed was supposed to be loaded when I got back, going up the road somewhere, but it wasn't. Maybe it got rained out...anyway, i'm back at home.