Another Debate: Harley Vs. Import

JerseyBoy77

Actually, there's not much to debate. Now that Harley has shut Buell down, if you want anything but a cruiser style motorcycle you're going to have to buy an import.

Check again. Harley has quite a varied offering. Many variations of Sportster, big V-twins and the V-rod. I just could never justify the price. Supply vs. demand as Harleys are what everybody wants. My own ride is a Kawi Vulcan 800B Classic.

post-2694-12595687717059_thumb.jpg

Check again. Harley has quite a varied offering. Many variations of Sportster, big V-twins and the V-rod. I just could never justify the price. Supply vs. demand as Harleys are what everybody wants. My own ride is a Kawi Vulcan 800B Classic.

post-2694-12595687717059_thumb.jpg

The sportster is NOT a sport bike. :rolleyes: I used to say I'd kill myself on a Harley, because I like to go fast and I DON'T like to slow down for corners. I actually ride FASTER through the curves in a road than I do on the straightaways...and Harleys just don't turn as well as my ZRX1100. Now that I'm engaged and have a dog, however, a full dresser would be nice for those cross country road trips. Tires on my bike don't last long enough to do that kind of riding...and with a full dresser, I could build a dog-carrier trailer, put the future wife on the back, and ride anywhere our little hearts desire.

Bottom line, is, different bikes have different uses. It ain't just "this or that", but rather what kind of riding you intend to do with it. For me in my younger years, a Harley would have killed me. Even today, it couldn't be the ONLY bike in the stable...but I'm not against having one in addition to the bike I've already got...although I'll probably get an XR650 before I get the full dresser. Looking at a CRF230M for the fiance, and it'd be a lot more fun to chase her on something like the XR. Like they say, it's more fun to ride a slow bike fast than it is to ride a fast bike slow. Besides, she's already got a little 100cc Honda dirt bike, so if we wanted to do some trail riding, we could throw her 100 and the XR in the truck and head out to the trails. :thumb:

Variety is the spice of life. B)

When approaching a 4-way stop, the vehicle with the biggest tires has the right of way!

This is a hard one... It all depends on the mood I'm in.

I had a 1000 Harley Sportster I enjoyed to go cruising with through our national parks.

Then on those days I felt like a bad #ss I took my Suzi 800 liquid out to terrorize the town.

I enjoyed both. If I had to pick one? I'm afraid I'll have to go with my import.

GLENN

GRANDKIDS :Gods little gift to us for not killing our kids while they were growing up

All I want, is just to be luv'd and for my Check Engine light to go out on my Volvo.

Well, always wanted a Harley(just because), but never able to afford it so I got the next best think:

A HardlyADavidson:

vt1100.jpg

2000 Honda 1100 Shadow. I've since put Hard Krom Shotgun pipes on it to liven it up some. Don't quite sound as good as my buddys HD, but sure is loud enough. Do want to tone it down a touch.

Note quite ready for a big dresser, but want something big and comfortable enough to ride. We don't go too far right now on the "sunday ride", but we all enjoy the breeze in our faces.

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

Bottom line, is, different bikes have different uses. It ain't just "this or that", but rather what kind of riding you intend to do with it. For me in my younger years, a Harley would have killed me. Even today, it couldn't be the ONLY bike in the stable...but I'm not against having one in addition to the bike I've already got...although I'll probably get an XR650 before I get the full dresser. Looking at a CRF230M for the fiance, and it'd be a lot more fun to chase her on something like the XR. Like they say, it's more fun to ride a slow bike fast than it is to ride a fast bike slow. Besides, she's already got a little 100cc Honda dirt bike, so if we wanted to do some trail riding, we could throw her 100 and the XR in the truck and head out to the trails. :thumb:

Variety is the spice of life. B)

I hear that! I worked for a Honda/Yamaha dealer for 6 years and I couldnt even understand Harley back then. At the time I was heavily into Motocross and was riding a CR250 and a KX250 and also had a R6 and was test riding everything under the sun. Motorcycles to me were about tearing it up! Something I couldnt see on a Harley...I remember the owner even told me "these are great bikes, but they will never have fame a Harley does, just because of the name"

Now though, I'm seeing some of these Harleys and appreciating them waaaaay more. A Super Glide doesnt seem too expensive, the motors have changed alot with EVO and there are a ton of aftermarket performance bolt on power to waste money on. Even with all the aftermarket stuff and extensive tunning...out of the box you arent even gonna catch a glimpse of an R1 or GSX-R....but its apples and oranges.

I wouldnt buy a Mack if I was planning on running the Indy 500. Apples and Oranges.

Look up any Harley video or review on youtube and there are TONS of people saying how your a joke if you ride a HD...I never got that...theres no point in ripping a guy for riding a HD if your a CBR owner...

I dunno if anyone saw that new liquid cooled XR Harley put out.....looks nice and suposedly performs pretty well...then again I cant see it outdoing any of Japanese sport bikes.

"You som'bitches could'nt close an umbrella!"

I hear that! I worked for a Honda/Yamaha dealer for 6 years and I couldnt even understand Harley back then. At the time I was heavily into Motocross and was riding a CR250 and a KX250 and also had a R6 and was test riding everything under the sun. Motorcycles to me were about tearing it up! Something I couldnt see on a Harley...I remember the owner even told me "these are great bikes, but they will never have fame a Harley does, just because of the name"

Now though, I'm seeing some of these Harleys and appreciating them waaaaay more. A Super Glide doesnt seem too expensive, the motors have changed alot with EVO and there are a ton of aftermarket performance bolt on power to waste money on. Even with all the aftermarket stuff and extensive tunning...out of the box you arent even gonna catch a glimpse of an R1 or GSX-R....but its apples and oranges.

I wouldnt buy a Mack if I was planning on running the Indy 500. Apples and Oranges.

Look up any Harley video or review on youtube and there are TONS of people saying how your a joke if you ride a HD...I never got that...theres no point in ripping a guy for riding a HD if your a CBR owner...

I dunno if anyone saw that new liquid cooled XR Harley put out.....looks nice and suposedly performs pretty well...then again I cant see it outdoing any of Japanese sport bikes.

popcrn.gif

When approaching a 4-way stop, the vehicle with the biggest tires has the right of way!