Mack "big 6"

Can some body post up some photos of this "BIG 6" ?

Mike

1953 Studebaker M275. Reo 331 I-6, Spicer 5spd-DD, 6.72 Gears, 11.00R20H tires.

1959 Mack B61T. Mack END+T 711 I-6, 2 stick 15spd-OD, 6.38 Gears, 12.00-24J tires.

1962 GMC K4500. GMC 379M-V6, SM420-4spd-DD, 5.13 Gears, 8-19.5G tires.

1969 AMC AMX. AMC 390 Crossram, borgwarner T-10 4spd, 4.44 Gears, G60-14s Front N50-15s Rear.

1975 Mack DM600. 300 Mack 6spd 4.17 gears 445/65R22.5 front n 12.00R20 rear.

1976 Arctic Cat Jag2000. 275cc twin, belt drive, steal grips.

1977 Ford F350. 351M V-8, 4spd-DD, 4.56 Gears, 245/70R19.5G tires.

1988 AMC Jeep MJ. 2.5L I-4, 4spd-DD, 4.10 Gears 215/70R15 front 225/70R15 rear.

1992 Trans AM GTA. 406SBC TBI, 4L60E, 3.73 Gears, 245/50R16 front 295/50R16 Rear.

1995 GMC K2500 6.5-T, 4L80E, 4.10 gears 7.50-16D tires. 4.56 Gears coming soon.

2007 Honda Rubicon 500cc Single, 5spd fluid drive trans, 27x10-12 Front 27x12-12 Rear.

Still in search of M52 5 ton tractor, M123A1C 10 ton tractor

I'm surprised I've never heard of this "Big6" before, but it sounds like something that would have given the Cat 3406, Cat C15, Cummins ISX etc. a serious run for their money, IF it had ever been released for public consumption.

"If You Can't Shift It Smoothly, You Shouldn't Be Driving It"

The "BIG SIX" is quite impressive but you will have to go to the museum to see it. The only info I found is that it is an 885 cu. in. inline 6 built to meet some proposed Federal Regulation.(emissions,perhaps?) When the regulation was dropped so was production of this engine. Too bad, I say. IMHO, the reason Mack lost a lot of highway market share in the '70s and '80s is that they did not upgrade to big power to compete with CAT and Cummins six cylinders.

I'm surprised I've never heard of this "Big6" before, but it sounds like something that would have given the Cat 3406, Cat C15, Cummins ISX etc. a serious run for their money, IF it had ever been released for public consumption.

If you go to this site http://www.mackduds.com/patsyandshane.htm and scroll thru the slide show there is one picture of it!

Quite the sight!

Its to bad they invested so much time and effort and never took it to production.

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah well, I heard that the real problem was length (weight). The V-8 has two rods per throw where sixes have only one rod per throw and the cylinder heads were great for a V-8 but as sixes were a little longer than they needed to be. With three V-8 cylinder heads in a row it was about eight inches too long for the displacement. And the front end on that beast doesn't look very small either.

Yeah well, I heard that the real problem was length (weight). The V-8 has two rods per throw where sixes have only one rod per throw and the cylinder heads were great for a V-8 but as sixes were a little longer than they needed to be. With three V-8 cylinder heads in a row it was about eight inches too long for the displacement. And the front end on that beast doesn't look very small either.

That gear case on the front reminds me of a Cat motor.

"If You Can't Shift It Smoothly, You Shouldn't Be Driving It"

WOW! I too have never heard of the BIG SIX. Awesome!

Now here is my question, Why did this engine enter development when they already had the Big displacement V8? Did Mack foresee problems with the V8 design in terms of emissions, production, maintenance or other problems? The E9 was a monster for its day. It pushed the power to 500HP which was more power than CAT or Cummins offered at that time (correct?). And in Europe it went to 560HP and then to 610HP in Australia. So the E9 could compete with CAT and Cummins.

-Thad

What America needs is less bull and more Bulldog!

WOW! I too have never heard of the BIG SIX. Awesome!

Now here is my question, Why did this engine enter development when they already had the Big displacement V8? Did Mack foresee problems with the V8 design in terms of emissions, production, maintenance or other problems? The E9 was a monster for its day. It pushed the power to 500HP which was more power than CAT or Cummins offered at that time (correct?). And in Europe it went to 560HP and then to 610HP in Australia. So the E9 could compete with CAT and Cummins.

In 1978 Mack and Renault was trying to find a replacement for the 2-valve V8. Most likley the big-6 and the E9 where being tested

Why did they make it Because they could, this is when Mack was Mack And liked to play with pet project like some of us,Mack back then had money to play with because America was buying Mack trucks.

The E9 could have passed emissions in 1999 if they used V-mac2 setup like they did in Europe But they Probably needed funding from the new owner of Mack (volvo)

If you remember in 2000 They were going to use the E9 in the industrial Field But that got slammed by volvo

gallery_133_137_10125.jpg

Thanks for hearing me out.

You can have the soap box now---------JIM