New Mack Axle

hanyman0728

Can any one tell me where I can find a video of the new Mack king pin change? My axle model is FXL 12 and the king pin kit # is 301SQ53. The mack instructions are from before they actually had a kit for it and leave some components out and also some prcedures. These kits are very hard to come by and very expensive. I believe volvo is using this axle too now, the pin looks the same but they dont have as many components in the kit as mack. There kit # is 85108338 and is also only a 1/2 kit. any thing would be appreciated. THANK YOU

Very simple setup. plastic bushing in the bottom and a wheel bearing race at the top. Take the nut off the top, knock the king pin out the bottom. Install new plactic bushing in bottom and race in top of spindle/knuckle. Push new kingpin up through the bottom, put new bearing and nut on kingpin and tighten to 563-689 ft lbs. On the sealed wheelbearing hub , tighten it to 664-811 ft lbs. I can fax you some pages out of the book if needed.

Very simple setup. plastic bushing in the bottom and a wheel bearing race at the top. Take the nut off the top, knock the king pin out the bottom. Install new plactic bushing in bottom and race in top of spindle/knuckle. Push new kingpin up through the bottom, put new bearing and nut on kingpin and tighten to 563-689 ft lbs. On the sealed wheelbearing hub , tighten it to 664-811 ft lbs. I can fax you some pages out of the book if needed.

i guess i wasn`t real clear but how do you shim this setup for correct end play? components wear and you have to be able to shim as it wears. the volvo equivilent kit#85108338 has shims in it with no bearings or caps, "you have to order them seperate", but the mack kit#301sq53 has no shims. they are the same as they use it in the new macks & volvos but they dont put the same amount of components in the kits. they are deffinetly the same axle and king pins but are dong things different in the king pin kits. the volvo kit only does half the axle. i have heard mack says if the spindle wears .004 to buy a new spindle but that cant be true, is it? this would be a huge waste of money. PLEASE HELP ME

There is no shims on an FXL axle. I talked to an engineer after we had some with out of spec play and he said after the top bearing and race get worn in and mated, you need to retoruque the top nut. After we did this all was good. He said Mack had alot of kinpins replaced under warranty when there was nothing wrong with them other than they needed to be retightened. 95% of the ones we tore down, there was nothing wrong with them, just retighten top nut. The warranty on most FXL axles is 3yr/300000miles even on most dump trucks.

This is to MACKPRO68, can you tell me why Volvo puts shims in this kit? It definitly is the same axle and king pin setup.I understand that mack says no but I now have the volvo kit here in front of me and it has shims in it. Is this in case the surface in the spindle that the bearing cup sets on wears or is this just another way for volvo to make more money? There has to be a reason they are in the kit. Just looking for more insite and trying to learn. thanks

This is to MACKPRO68, can you tell me why Volvo puts shims in this kit? It definitly is the same axle and king pin setup.I understand that mack says no but I now have the volvo kit here in front of me and it has shims in it. Is this in case the surface in the spindle that the bearing cup sets on wears or is this just another way for volvo to make more money? There has to be a reason they are in the kit. Just looking for more insite and trying to learn. thanks

I got out my Mack FXL overhaul manual to double check and read it again. Still cant find any thing about shims, no pictures or mention of them. I pulled it upon the parts dept computer and it too showes no shims. We are a Mack only dealer and the last time we ordered parts to overhaul a FXL kingpin (about 3 months ago)we had to order all parts separately. There was no kit available, at least for us Mack guys.

• 7 months later...

I got out my Mack FXL overhaul manual to double check and read it again. Still cant find any thing about shims, no pictures or mention of them. I pulled it upon the parts dept computer and it too showes no shims. We are a Mack only dealer and the last time we ordered parts to overhaul a FXL kingpin (about 3 months ago)we had to order all parts separately. There was no kit available, at least for us Mack guys.

Thanks for all the replies to my post first of all. the volvo kit for this axle has shims in it so you dont have to buy new bearings. Stemcokaiser formerly VW Kaiser king pins have developed a no ream kit for this with there spiral bushing and grease grooved king pin. While mack and volvo are still boning people with plastic bushings Kaiser has a kit that is guaranteed to last 4 times longer that anything else. They also have them on there shelf and for sale while mack and volvo are still back ordered. The Stemcokaiser kit is a complete kit for bothsides.

Thanks for all the replies to my post first of all. the volvo kit for this axle has shims in it so you dont have to buy new bearings. Stemcokaiser formerly VW Kaiser king pins have developed a no ream kit for this with there spiral bushing and grease grooved king pin. While mack and volvo are still boning people with plastic bushings Kaiser has a kit that is guaranteed to last 4 times longer that anything else. They also have them on there shelf and for sale while mack and volvo are still back ordered. The Stemcokaiser kit is a complete kit for bothsides.

Thanks for the info, I'll see if our parts guys can keep a kit or two.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the info, I'll see if our parts guys can keep a kit or two.

One of our customers is in the process of replacing a set right now. According to the newest KSA the kit is the 301SQ53, but supposedly this fits all of the FXL axles from 12,000 to 23,000 lbs. I remembered reading this recently, so I checked on the Stemco Kaiser website but didn't find a kit before loosing my internet connection. Did your parts department find a kit?

"Mebbe I'm too ugly and stupid to give up!"

• 4 weeks later...

One of our customers is in the process of replacing a set right now. According to the newest KSA the kit is the 301SQ53, but supposedly this fits all of the FXL axles from 12,000 to 23,000 lbs. I remembered reading this recently, so I checked on the Stemco Kaiser website but didn't find a kit before loosing my internet connection. Did your parts department find a kit?

stemco kaiser has a king pin kit for sale for sure, kit # k536m. it is a complete kit for the axle, you wont find it on line but have to contact them for one or one of there distributers in your area. i have one in my truck now and it is super easy to install. it was cheaper than mack also with 4 times the warrany and if it lasts as long as the rest of there king pins & bushings you should never have to change them again, as long as you grease them regularly.

stemco kaiser has a king pin kit for sale for sure, kit # k536m. it is a complete kit for the axle, you wont find it on line but have to contact them for one or one of there distributers in your area. i have one in my truck now and it is super easy to install. it was cheaper than mack also with 4 times the warrany and if it lasts as long as the rest of there king pins & bushings you should never have to change them again, as long as you grease them regularly.

I'll check it out, thanks.

"Mebbe I'm too ugly and stupid to give up!"

• 1 year later...
  • 4 weeks later...