Inj Pump ? Tranny ?

ejensen21

could i swap a inj pump from a end711 to a 673t engine around the same year also i have an 18speed tranny out of a b61 and a 20 speed out of a b81 i would like to put the back half of the 20 speed on the 18 speed becauce one of the tranny mount bolt holes is cracked and put it back in the b81 the reseon for the inj pump swap is the 673t has a bosch psj rotory pump and i don't trust it like the ape pump

thanks eric

could i swap a inj pump from a end711 to a 673t engine around the same year also i have an 18speed tranny out of a b61 and a 20 speed out of a b81 i would like to put the back half of the 20 speed on the 18 speed becauce one of the tranny mount bolt holes is cracked and put it back in the b81 the reseon for the inj pump swap is the 673t has a bosch psj rotory pump and i don't trust it like the ape pump

thanks eric

My past experience says that you can but you will need to do away with the "syncrovance" unit that is on the front of the 711 engine pump. The turbo engines did not use it. You can either pull the unit off the shaft, or weld the flyweights in place. Be sure to time the engine and don't just slap the pump on and go.

If there is nothing wrong with the rotary pump I probably wouldn't make the swap until failure. Although the APE pump is relatively more commonplace there is really nothing wrong with the psj pump. As you probably know you will need to change all the hi pressure lines also as they are different.

I don't know about mounting the rear of one quad trans onto another. I'm no expert but there were minor differences in the years' productions of those transmissions and as Herb has mentioned in prior posts, they could whine from minor gear ration differences. I suppose you could just use the case and not have problems if they are the same?

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

If the trans mount boss is cracked at one set of bolt holes, there is another 2 bosses with drilled & tapped holes next to the 4 holes the mount bolts to.

In that scenario, you can fabricate a plate from 5/8 steel to utilize those unused holes, and weld it to the mount, thereby salvaging a transmission case with 1 or 2 broken mounting bosses.

When I was back east, we put a 711 N/A pump on a ENDT673C, with the synchrovance still on it. The engine ran okay, but sounded kinda "flat" (Probably because of the retarded timing at low RPM) and had a smoky exhaust through the entire RPM range

"If You Can't Shift It Smoothly, You Shouldn't Be Driving It"

Also, as Rob just mentioned, there can be a slight difference in the teeth on the compound main drive gear and compound countershaft drive gear depending on the vintage of the transmissions in question.

A mismatch will sound like a siren when going down the road.

"If You Can't Shift It Smoothly, You Shouldn't Be Driving It"

steel nose, This past winter we did just that. My B 61 had a bad 711 so we installed a 673C. It also had a rotery pump and I wanted to keep the APE. We had to get timing gears out of a 673 with an APE pump because the rotery pump drives off a different gear and the 711 gears would not mount in the 673 engine. Also there was not enough room for the APE pump unless you have the air compressor with the long mount. If you have to change to the longer mount compressor, you then have to change to the longer assessory drive shaft. Also the pumps lubricate differently so make sure the pump receives and drains oil correctly. When we first started the engine it leaked oil badly at the mounting flange. After removing the pump three times we discovered the hole in the block that the rear pump support bolts to was different on the two engines and was not allowing the pump to bolt up flush. we had to rework the support leg. Many times I asked myself while doing this, why didn't I just keep the rotery pump? Good luck! Jake

thanks for all the help maybe all leave the rotoy pump on the 673 maybe i will leave the 711 in the truck it runs great but i worry about it on the tranny the 20 speed it a 1963 and the 18 is a 1960 i like the idear of useing the unused holes in the tranny

thanks again eric