Be Cleaner

Mike

After getting my B inside the new garage I could not wait to get a project going. So I started on the Oil Bath air cleaner. Needless to say it looks like a big grease mess. Don't see how it started or ran. So if any of you have any suggestions as to how to clean this breather, i'm open for suggestions other than using matches or torch related items.

I started with the pan that holds oil. It's now as clean as my old mess kit. Next the bottom or first filter was a pig sty. I started using Mean Green and this stuff didn't do anything to help but kept on using it. I finally got the ole hot water and dish detergent on it and thsat helped alittle. Got the air gun, 20lbs. pressure to it. Didn't want to get too happy with this and collapse the insides.

So i'll need some direction when getting into the next phase of this project which is the big breather. I'll probably back flush it just like i've done the pre-filter but I really need to put it down into a bath of solvent, use air and back flush all of the crapp down into the bottom of a pan, barrel or rubber trash can. Note: During this cleaning i'm trying not to cut the exterior paint off of the breather, so can ya'll tell me a great way to save the paint but cut the grease etc.?

Many Thanks!

mike :unsure:

After getting my B inside the new garage I could not wait to get a project going. So I started on the Oil Bath air cleaner. Needless to say it looks like a big grease mess. Don't see how it started or ran. So if any of you have any suggestions as to how to clean this breather, i'm open for suggestions other than using matches or torch related items.

I started with the pan that holds oil. It's now as clean as my old mess kit. Next the bottom or first filter was a pig sty. I started using Mean Green and this stuff didn't do anything to help but kept on using it. I finally got the ole hot water and dish detergent on it and thsat helped alittle. Got the air gun, 20lbs. pressure to it. Didn't want to get too happy with this and collapse the insides.

So i'll need some direction when getting into the next phase of this project which is the big breather. I'll probably back flush it just like i've done the pre-filter but I really need to put it down into a bath of solvent, use air and back flush all of the crapp down into the bottom of a pan, barrel or rubber trash can. Note: During this cleaning i'm trying not to cut the exterior paint off of the breather, so can ya'll tell me a great way to save the paint but cut the grease etc.?

Many Thanks!

mike :unsure:

Mike submerging the complete body is what I've always done in diesel fuel. It is neutral enought that it will not attack automotive grade paint. After the "gunk" is thoroughly saturated, a pressure washer is used. Usually the stuff washes right out with little effort. I've not tried this with a cold water pressure washer though. My washer will make steam and that is what I've used.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Mike submerging the complete body is what I've always done in diesel fuel. It is neutral enought that it will not attack automotive grade paint. After the "gunk" is thoroughly saturated, a pressure washer is used. Usually the stuff washes right out with little effort. I've not tried this with a cold water pressure washer though. My washer will make steam and that is what I've used.

Rob

Howdy Rob,

Thanks for the reply. I would like to eliminate the diesel bath and go straight to the hot soapy water. I wonder if taking the breather to the car wash would be ok as long as the pressure is not too strong for the breather material ? Question, is the breather material a metal mesh or something else much more fragile ? I'm not too fond of the fuel idea for reasons of possible engine runaway later.

mike

I took mine to my engine machine shop and had him dip it in caustic bath. So clean you could eat off it.....but of course no paint left either. I was painting it anyway and this was a good way to take care of two birds.

Not sure I know ANY car wash places that would appreciate an oil bath air cleaner being "cleaned" in a bay!! Maybe get a gallon pail of Simple green and pour it thru the top and let it settle, pour more, repeat and then hose it out really good.

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

I took mine to my engine machine shop and had him dip it in caustic bath. So clean you could eat off it.....but of course no paint left either. I was painting it anyway and this was a good way to take care of two birds.

Not sure I know ANY car wash places that would appreciate an oil bath air cleaner being "cleaned" in a bay!! Maybe get a gallon pail of Simple green and pour it thru the top and let it settle, pour more, repeat and then hose it out really good.

Larry.......man.......where have you been ? I've been waiting on race reports from you all summer, and i've heard nothing. I hope all is well with you and your pit crew. I would really like for you to do an update on a newer video without the left hand knob turning the tach. :lol: it is the coolest video i've seen to date.

Your idea of a caustic bath is great.....but i'm trying not to have to send my truck out for Rob to paint it yet. I'm not ready for that PINK hood color he did for Tom's mixer. I sure hope that after the party mixer we didn't cause the color to fade any after drinking all of that TEQULLA !!!! B) ya should have been thereeeeeeeeeee.

mike :)

Ya know Mike, I just don't get alot done on the net during the summer it seems. Too much other stuff going on. I've wanted to make a new vid, there again I get to the track and don't screw around with it. Been that way all summer.

My stick racing has been doing well, as I started #1 in points and with only one drop to #2 and back up to #1 so far. Got three races left(won two of them so far) it's going to be a tough one to stay on top. I have a 4 round lead on #2 so it's just a touch of breathing room, but no room for slacking as it goes away just as quick as I get it. Heading to Columbus, Ohio (National Trails) Saturday morning for next race. The g/f is grumbling already about the 6am leave time LOL!! She AIN'T a morning person.......at all!!!!

Udder then that, samo samo around the homestead. Been really wearing out the new bike this summer. Don't know if I mentioned here I traded the ol '86 700 Shadow for a '00 1100 shadow. Ya, it's nice!!

Larry

Larry,

I'm absolutely happy for you, only makes me want to be there and see it all happen at the races. For the g/f ya might want to put her to bed early and sleep in separate rooms to where you want be so uptight the next day. The races will go alot smoother without having the wildthang the night before. I found that out from an old sargeant during my old snipper days, the nerves ment everything at that time.

Back in 96, I bought a 95 Honda 1100 Shadow cause I wanted a Harley again. I kept it probably a year and was not happy with it, so I traded it for the Harley I have now. Honestly, glad I did. It has been a very good bike, but I can't get used to all of the attention it gets.

mike

LOL!!! Ya, she says I'm like an Olympic athlete.........No messing around the night before the competition LMAO!!!! Got to be in TOP shape!!!

Yes, I want a Harley, but the money says HONDA. Got a great deal on the '86 and they gave me WAYY good money on trade in so I got the 1100. Much more comfortable, good power and clean as a pin(only 11K miles). Black and chrome just like the '86 too.

vt1100.jpg

I've since put a set of pipes on it, jet kit and KN air filter. Runs much stronger, gets better mileage too. Bit too loud, but it's livable for me. I can at least make more noise then buddy's Harley with Vance/Hines pipes on his LOL!!! Couldn't handle that sewing machine hum anymore. Someday, maybe I'll afford a Harley.....................for now I have a "Hardley A Davidson" :P

Larry