A Few L Model Questions..

I found a L model mack 707 gas engine that may be persuaded for sale, however the engine has been blown. I am asking a few things. A. which mack diesel engine is close to the 707 in torque or whatever it is that you dont have to make any major changes to the rear end, rather just throw it in and it should work the same. Also to barry, what would the cost be of that engine, and to put it in the truck. These questions will decide if im finaly getting a mack or not.

I found a L model mack 707 gas engine that may be persuaded for sale, however the engine has been blown. I am asking a few things. A. which mack diesel engine is close to the 707 in torque or whatever it is that you dont have to make any major changes to the rear end, rather just throw it in and it should work the same. Also to barry, what would the cost be of that engine, and to put it in the truck. These questions will decide if im finaly getting a mack or not.

The 707 engine was very good in it's day but is several years obsolete now. You can get much more power with a readily available 237 Mack diesel engine and it is virtually a bolt in swap. CF Macks were built with that engine and others of higher horsepower yet.

I don't know what rear axle or ratio you have but would be willing to bet it would be slow, meaning a high numerical number. They are not difficult to change with assistance. Everything is big, and heavy but that is the only real drawback. You would be more cost effective to purchase a complete truck and use it for parts as opposed to purchasing everything you need from salvage yards.

The 707 engine is getting very difficult to obtain parts for from my understanding.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

the 707 was also in 3 veriations. the A,the b, and the C. The C engine has a down draft carb on the drivers side and exhaust manifold on the right side. The were avalible as the standard engine in the b70 and b72 trucks. Also used in the b-85-f and b-95-f fire trucks. I know they were available in L models, and quite popular in the fire trucks.

15 gears...no waiting!