Front Wheel Swap

As i make my to do list and wish list for my B model, a bunch of different ideas have been popping in my head.I want to change the stock split rims to aluminum.My question is is this a hub conversion? And if so what hubs do i need?

A good place to start is by indentifying which steer axle you have under the truck. On the passenger side near the leaf spring it will be stamped. A common axle is FA-505 in the B61 series of trucks. Yours being a B42 could be different but we'll run with this one for now. Once this is determined, you can get on the scrounge to locate parts. Out west Budd style hubs were commonplace. East of the Mississippi, Dayton style, (spokes) were much more prevelant.

Before you place an order online or by other means that you cannot physically inpect the parts, ensure the bearing numbers are the same from your present hubs, to the donor hubs. This will ensure the hubs will interchange. Expect to pay a fairly large sum for this as they are getting difficult to come up with.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

As i make my to do list and wish list for my B model, a bunch of different ideas have been popping in my head.I want to change the stock split rims to aluminum.My question is is this a hub conversion? And if so what hubs do i need?

A better strategy would be to keep it original.

After all, this is an antique you're dealing with.

"If You Can't Shift It Smoothly, You Shouldn't Be Driving It"

Like Herb said, keep it original. Your B83 is a beautiful truck and aluminum rims would ruin that tough B80 look. You could switch to 12R24.5 for aluminum rims but that would require a hub swap or if parts cannot be had an axle swap which detracts from its originality and creates a ton of extra work.

Might I suggest you try stripping the rims of paint and have them chrome plated.Chrome demountable rims along with painting the hub another color besides black really helps the look. Painting the hub and rim the same color does not work all that well. White paint turns black from dirt so try to avoid that color. Paint the rims and hubs different colors, add chrome nut caps, add half moon hub caps and your all set.

Your B83 is one tough looking truck and was a hard worker in its day. Back then it didn't any fancy, gaudy aluminum or chrome anything to do its job. Putting shiny aluminum rims on it just doesn't do a B80 justice, it cheapens the look of a hard worker. Give it a nice paint job and vary the colors a bit and you will do that truck justice.

-Thad

What America needs is less bull and more Bulldog!

I don't know if I have ever seen a b83 with budd wheels. I think you are already ahead of the game if you keep it the way it is now. The cost of a hub swap to budd wheels could be spent elswhere in the restoration. If you are like me I have to watch my cash input in my projects. Do you have 22 inch rims now or are the 24 inch rims?

15 gears...no waiting!

Guys, he has a 56 B42. You are thinking of another new participant; heartattack01, with the B83.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

I don't know if I have ever seen a b83 with budd wheels. I think you are already ahead of the game if you keep it the way it is now. The cost of a hub swap to budd wheels could be spent elswhere in the restoration. If you are like me I have to watch my cash input in my projects. Do you have 22 inch rims now or are the 24 inch rims?

I have. In fact it sat in my driveway for a couple of hours during a sewer construction project through my yard a dozen years ago. This one was very meticulously done, and definately personalized with lettering on the doors and hood that was real "gold leaf". It was attached to a then new Talbert tri-axle lowboy that hauled a new Cat 325 excavator.

No, he wouldn't let me drive it; He had no history on the truck, just liked it, and had it rebuilt.

Rob

Guys, he has a 56 B42. You are thinking of another new participant; heartattack01, with the B83.

Rob

DOH! :wacko:

Rob for some reason between the two new members I got mixed up!

I still say leave it original. If he has dayton split rims for tube tires he can easily swap them to 22.5 tubeless. Aluminum does look good on a smaller B model though.

-Thad

What America needs is less bull and more Bulldog!

Oh..... well I guess my face is red.. In that case.... It is what ever you want to do and how luck you are in finding your parts.

Fred

Fred,

If you just get the video going for all of us on lookers we'll forgive you....... :lol: ....... then all will be well again but, not forgotten.

mike :D