Another Jake Brake Thread...

'01 CH613 with an E7-460 and barely over 360K on the odometer. Jakes quit working last week...but not all at once. First, the high started acting like low and nothing would happen on low. Then a couple days later, it wouldn't even do that...nothing in either switch position. Had it in to the Mack dealer and they said the oil lines are clear and not plugged up, and the solenoids are getting power and seem to be working. They are claiming that every individual part of the system is working as it is supposed to, but that the system as a whole does not. That just doesn't sound right to me. One mechanic said that it might be due to low oil pressure...but I haven't noticed my truck's oil pressure being any lower than it's ever been when it WAS working. They say there's an update kit available...new oil lines or something like that...but that it's $2000 and just not worth the money. If it was a stronger jake, like the 3-stage that was on the 475 CAT I drove a few years ago (would hold 80,000 at 35 mph heading down Monteagle without ever needing to touch the brakes) it might be a different story...but for what it was, it just isn't worth dumping that kind of money into it.

I'm stumped. I don't mind when things I never use don't work (i.e. the air conditioner hasn't worked for as long as I've owned it)...but for something that I use regularly, it just bugs me when it doesn't function properly....especially when there doesn't seem to be any real reason why it doesn't work. :wacko:

When approaching a 4-way stop, the vehicle with the biggest tires has the right of way!

'01 CH613 with an E7-460 and barely over 360K on the odometer. Jakes quit working last week...but not all at once. First, the high started acting like low and nothing would happen on low. Then a couple days later, it wouldn't even do that...nothing in either switch position. Had it in to the Mack dealer and they said the oil lines are clear and not plugged up, and the solenoids are getting power and seem to be working. They are claiming that every individual part of the system is working as it is supposed to, but that the system as a whole does not. That just doesn't sound right to me. One mechanic said that it might be due to low oil pressure...but I haven't noticed my truck's oil pressure being any lower than it's ever been when it WAS working. They say there's an update kit available...new oil lines or something like that...but that it's $2000 and just not worth the money. If it was a stronger jake, like the 3-stage that was on the 475 CAT I drove a few years ago (would hold 80,000 at 35 mph heading down Monteagle without ever needing to touch the brakes) it might be a different story...but for what it was, it just isn't worth dumping that kind of money into it.

I'm stumped. I don't mind when things I never use don't work (i.e. the air conditioner hasn't worked for as long as I've owned it)...but for something that I use regularly, it just bugs me when it doesn't function properly....especially when there doesn't seem to be any real reason why it doesn't work. :wacko:

There are plugs in the rocker shaft ends one of the most common causes of instant jake failure baring an electrical failer is the plugs poping out (Hydralic failure)Did they look for this?Lift the lids back of and check the ends of the rocker shafts for plugs.

There are plugs in the rocker shaft ends one of the most common causes of instant jake failure baring an electrical failer is the plugs poping out (Hydralic failure)Did they look for this?Lift the lids back of and check the ends of the rocker shafts for plugs.

Supposedly, they had the valve covers off and looked at everything in there...but I'll ask when I go back to pick it up. I ran the charge air cooler down to a place in Mayfield, KY to get repaired...2 bolts missing and another one broke...didn't take long for it to start leaking. They are also welding up the lower radiator bracket too...broken on one side and missing on the other...saves me some fabrication work next weekend. They ought to have the charge air cooler back today...need to call on that anyway, since they close in 2 hours and the place that was doing the repair was supposed to call me to get a credit card number instead of billing the Mack dealer...even though they were delivering it there.

I swear, if it ain't one thing it's another... :wacko:

When approaching a 4-way stop, the vehicle with the biggest tires has the right of way!

Supposedly, they had the valve covers off and looked at everything in there...but I'll ask when I go back to pick it up. I ran the charge air cooler down to a place in Mayfield, KY to get repaired...2 bolts missing and another one broke...didn't take long for it to start leaking. They are also welding up the lower radiator bracket too...broken on one side and missing on the other...saves me some fabrication work next weekend. They ought to have the charge air cooler back today...need to call on that anyway, since they close in 2 hours and the place that was doing the repair was supposed to call me to get a credit card number instead of billing the Mack dealer...even though they were delivering it there.

I swear, if it ain't one thing it's another... :wacko:

well its an easy thing to miss if you don't know about it!I have been there done that.Hopefully I'm wrong and they looked They likly won't admit to not looking thou We'll see!

One thing thou if they didn't look and that is the problem and they admit it, thats the right place to take your truck

people make mistakes or are not aware of thngs they can't fix things.Althou this is a (FAIRly) common ocurance its not the only thing it can be nor is it rampent ! stuff happens.

well its an easy thing to miss if you don't know about it!I have been there done that.Hopefully I'm wrong and they looked They likly won't admit to not looking thou We'll see!

One thing thou if they didn't look and that is the problem and they admit it, thats the right place to take your truck

people make mistakes or are not aware of thngs they can't fix things.Althou this is a (FAIRly) common ocurance its not the only thing it can be nor is it rampent ! stuff happens.

Go figure...they say they didn't do anything but check stuff and it all seemed to work so they had nothing in it but time. They didn't charge me for that. I had 'em pull the charge air cooler and I took it to a repair shop...and while that was out, they welded the lower radiator mounting brackets (one was broke, the other missing) so that the radiator would be held securely. The repair place was supposed to call me for a credit card number for payment, and deliver it back to the Mack dealer (where the truck was) for me...but they billed the Mack dealer directly so of course they had to mark it up or the office would get pi$$ed. I never ask anyone to put their job in jeopardy to do me a favor. So, they marked it up a little and didn't charge any labor for anything they did.

Total cost was around $350...I'd have to look at the receipt again for the exact amount.

...and to top it all off, the Jake IS working now. It is slow to activate until it's been run a few times...but then it works like it's supposed to until I shut the truck off again. Then it's slow activating the first time or two again before it works fine. Still not sure what was wrong...but I'm not going to complain. B)

If you lose your jake again, check the wires to make sure one isn't worn through and shorting against the motor. This was the problem when I lost my jake.

I'll be servicing it this weekend and I'll check. I had "low" jakes in the "high" switch position again...and nothing in the "low" switch position. You really don't realize how much ya use 'em 'til ya ain't got 'em no more :pat: