Speaking Of Trailers...

I have a question I'm also to embarrased to ask, but here goes: In regards to lowbed/lowboy trailers, what is the difference between ground bearing and non-groung bearing?

I've run detachable gooseneck lowbed trailers in the past, but as I'm searching ads for a new trailer, I keep seeing these terms, but all the pictures look the same.....HELP! :wacko:

I have a question I'm also to embarrased to ask, but here goes: In regards to lowbed/lowboy trailers, what is the difference between ground bearing and non-groung bearing?

I've run detachable gooseneck lowbed trailers in the past, but as I'm searching ads for a new trailer, I keep seeing these terms, but all the pictures look the same.....HELP! :wacko:

From what I read ground bearing means that a ram must engauge the ground to lift the goose neck to couple to the tractor, like landing gear. Non ground bearing means that the goose neck has a cylinder that tilts the neck to couple then lifts the trailer once coupled. so the weight of lifting the trailer goes onto the fifth wheel and not the ground. I am not 100% sure but thats what I remember.

-Thad

What America needs is less bull and more Bulldog!

From what I read ground bearing means that a ram must engauge the ground to lift the goose neck to couple to the tractor, like landing gear. Non ground bearing means that the goose neck has a cylinder that tilts the neck to couple then lifts the trailer once coupled. so the weight of lifting the trailer goes onto the fifth wheel and not the ground. I am not 100% sure but thats what I remember.

That is my understanding also. You offer a very good explanation.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

The gooseneck on non-ground bearing has some type of a wrist action design that when actuated applies presure on the fifth wheel and on the deck about 2 feet back from the front end of the beams. This raises the deck and the rear of the gooseneck. After unlocking the "rests" the deck can be lowered to the ground. The real nice part of this system is the ability to raise the deck for additional ground clearance. Works well for crossing RR tracks. Look at talbertmfg.com for some pictures and a drawing of their 2 piece design. There is also the mechanical detachable with no hydraulics. Hope this helps. David

On the Talbert site there is also a program for determinating the horsepower required to pull a load. Have fun!

I ran a ground bearing for years and it was great till you loaded something on a spring day in the rain and you couldn't find enough rocks to fill the hole you were punching in the ground when you were trying to hook up agian,Tim

From what I have been told a non-ground bearing lowboy has the center frame rails sticking up into the deck and they are even with the outer frame rails on the bottom side of the trailer. On a ground bearing lowboy the frame rails are even on the deck and the two center rails hang down lower on the bottom side of the trailer. Block

From what I have been told a non-ground bearing lowboy has the center frame rails sticking up into the deck and they are even with the outer frame rails on the bottom side of the trailer. On a ground bearing lowboy the frame rails are even on the deck and the two center rails hang down lower on the bottom side of the trailer. Block

Ground bearing the rams push on the ground to pick the deck up and non ground bearing the rams work the deck and goose neck to pick up the deck,Tim

From what I have been told a non-ground bearing lowboy has the center frame rails sticking up into the deck and they are even with the outer frame rails on the bottom side of the trailer.

This is called a drop side. It has nothing to do with the gooseneck function (ground bearing or non-ground bearing).

OK let's finish this, I've run lowbed trailers for 24 years and a non ground bearing trailer puts no pressure on the ground when detacting or hooking up the goose neck. A ground bearing puts pressure on the ground when hooking up or dropping the goose neck. That's what it is plain and simple,Tim