Dash Gauges R700.

My dash gauges arrived today, all 3300.00 dollars worth. what gauges would you put where??

speedo........factory spot

tacho..........factory spot

the other gauges I am fitting are

engine temp

trans temp

exhaust temp

engine oil pressure

fuel pressure

air pressure

fuel level

volts

turbo boost

I am fitting these in the panel next to the speedo/tacho, but what would be the best order to put them in? they will be in rows of 3

speedo and tacho are round 3-3/8 all other gauges are round 2-1/16

any suggestions?

Grant

Since you are starting with a clean sheet of paper so to speak. It all boils down to what kind of an operator you are. It wouldn't matter to some, as long as the arrangement didn't compromise the CD changer or the CB radio. I would mount them the same way that you do in your race car. With an uninterrupted clear line of sight to the most important. OIL pressure, water temp, and EGT, and I would probably clock them to read the desired results at 12 O'Clock. I would mount the rest of them the same and conveniently as possible. Someone else getting in your truck might think you were drunk when you installed them. But, you could read them all at a glance, without really looking at them. I have never had a fuel guage that lasted much longer than the warranty, so any place you can find to lay your stick would work. LOL

Since you are starting with a clean sheet of paper so to speak. It all boils down to what kind of an operator you are. It wouldn't matter to some, as long as the arrangement didn't compromise the CD changer or the CB radio. I would mount them the same way that you do in your race car. With an uninterrupted clear line of sight to the most important. OIL pressure, water temp, and EGT, and I would probably clock them to read the desired results at 12 O'Clock. I would mount the rest of them the same and conveniently as possible. Someone else getting in your truck might think you were drunk when you installed them. But, you could read them all at a glance, without really looking at them. I have never had a fuel guage that lasted much longer than the warranty, so any place you can find to lay your stick would work. LOL

Hello, true, but its actually more difficult than i thought. i know where there going, but the order is quite hard. what would they have been factory, what did they come out with factory? will have a stick, but it wont be to check the fuel! for 3300bucks it better work :)

123 oil water and egt. 456 fuel pressure boost and trans temp, 789 air pressure volts and fuel level. If you are trying to have a factory set up I just don't know Paul Van Scott has a 66 with all the guages in the speedo cluster. My 73 has all of them with exception of the air pressure mounted in the center of the all steel flat dash. What ever you come up with would suit me fine. I like the idea of rebuilding something bigger, better, faster, and neater. If it stands out, and shines like a new penny, so much the better. Quality craftsmanship never gets old or never goes out of style. Fix it the way you like it, that's what hot rod's are about. What could be better than a hot rod Mack with a 60 in, air ride cab/bunk, a hanging brake pedal, and a custom guage package.

Hello, true, but its actually more difficult than i thought. i know where there going, but the order is quite hard. what would they have been factory, what did they come out with factory? will have a stick, but it wont be to check the fuel! for 3300bucks it better work :)

My 73, 77, and 78 are all different in the cluster packaging and orientation. The tachometer is on the left, the speedo on the right in the center quadrant on all trucks. I'll post a couple photos later today.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

My 73, 77, and 78 are all different in the cluster packaging and orientation. The tachometer is on the left, the speedo on the right in the center quadrant on all trucks. I'll post a couple photos later today.

Rob

waiting on those photos...i'll post a couple to help pass the time

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.

123 oil water and egt. 456 fuel pressure boost and trans temp, 789 air pressure volts and fuel level. If you are trying to have a factory set up I just don't know Paul Van Scott has a 66 with all the guages in the speedo cluster. My 73 has all of them with exception of the air pressure mounted in the center of the all steel flat dash. What ever you come up with would suit me fine. I like the idea of rebuilding something bigger, better, faster, and neater. If it stands out, and shines like a new penny, so much the better. Quality craftsmanship never gets old or never goes out of style. Fix it the way you like it, that's what hot rod's are about. What could be better than a hot rod Mack with a 60 in, air ride cab/bunk, a hanging brake pedal, and a custom guage package.

I think i will have to move the truck along a little and sit it all in there and play! :) its going to be interesting wireing it all up, there all elictric, no air lines or tach cable, speedo cable at all.

Rob

And here ya go. The brown dash is the 73 RL797, the gray dash is the 77 R795. The dash is in pieces of the 78 RL755 and with the exception of the "Brakesaver" gauges, is oriented just like the R795.

Here is one from a 72 R model also.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Looking at these pictures got me wondering; Just how well most of us would do shifting with our left hand?

While I've not driven a large truck or commercial vehicle I have driven several Rt. hand drive sports cars, and light trucks. The shifting is really not difficult to master at all, just takes some time in the saddle. What was difficult for me was to stay on the correct side of the road, and negotiate traffic. Now that took some getting used to.

I sure wouldn't want to start right off in a different country learning in heavy traffic that's for sure. I drove around London and that took some getting used to to say the least!!

Rob

While I've not driven a large truck or commercial vehicle I have driven several Rt. hand drive sports cars, and light trucks. The shifting is really not difficult to master at all, just takes some time in the saddle. What was difficult for me was to stay on the correct side of the road, and negotiate traffic. Now that took some getting used to.

I sure wouldn't want to start right off in a different country learning in heavy traffic that's for sure. I drove around London and that took some getting used to to say the least!!

Rob

Thankyou every one for the pics, looks like there is no real common ground except for maybe temps an air psi at top. so i would assume most people look across for most important gauges rather than down.

Grant

I think i will have to move the truck along a little and sit it all in there and play! :) its going to be interesting wireing it all up, there all elictric, no air lines or tach cable, speedo cable at all.

Ducky. I would personaly go for at least the oil guage and temp guage capilary type. I don't trust electric temp and oil guage's.

They give you an exact or better reading. Iknow from experience. Electric guages frighten me. They don't read bad till the last minute

my 2 bobs worth. That speedo in the old mack is a fancy leccy type. It cost more than the truck,But i like it. accurate as. Mark.

Looking at these pictures got me wondering; Just how well most of us would do shifting with our left hand?

David. How do you think we feel changing gears with our right hand. Not to mention driving on the wrong side

of the road. I couldn't do that. Just a thought though, Might get more of a suntan on me left arm though. :wacko:

You could say, Well, it is just what you get used to. But enjoying what you do, and absolutely loving every minute of it, smooths all of the ruts out. My oldest grand daughter is 21 now, but when she was about 1 1/2 I had the first opertunity to let her have a ride in my rig. In the bright sunlight, as we pulled out into a long clear stretch of highway, she leaned forward, slapped the dash, and gave a tremendous rebel yell. My daughter, who was holding her, said she's really getting in to this. Without having to think about it, I said, honey I feel the same way every time I start out in this thing. On another note, my dad was career Air Force. Having spent most of a 3 year tour of duty in Japan with him, we were just back in the states. It was another bright sunny day, and as we left Travis Air Force Base California, dad pulled onto the freeway and started down your side of the road. He couldn't understand why I was yelling, or why all those other S.O.B.'s were on the wrong side of the road. LOL

David. How do you think we feel changing gears with our right hand. Not to mention driving on the wrong side

of the road. I couldn't do that. Just a thought though, Might get more of a suntan on me left arm though. :wacko:

the other side of the road is not to hard to get used to, the gear changeing is just the same, i all so have an Australian car tucked away in Chicago and its fun to drive that over there, the hardest part is when you try overtake! :) best thing is to play follow the leader! and hope to hell he stays on the correct side of the road.

Grant

the other side of the road is not to hard to get used to, the gear changeing is just the same, i all so have an Australian car tucked away in Chicago and its fun to drive that over there, the hardest part is when you try overtake! :) best thing is to play follow the leader! and hope to hell he stays on the correct side of the road.

Grant

I got the left hand drive sorted. Had this little darling for over 30 years. Will have to practice the other side if the road though.

jeep045.jpg

I sure wouldn't want to start right off in a different country learning in heavy traffic that's for sure. I drove around and around and around and around and around London and that took some getting used to to say the least!!

Rob

that's right, I remember that scene from the movie now, "Rob's European Vacation"

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.