Horton Fan Clutch

JerryB

Gentlemen.

I have a Behr electric control fan clutch on my 2004 Vision w/460 and want to replace it with a Horton fan clutch if possible. Will the Horton bolt back where the Behr is and is there anything besides the air solenoid set up to be added?? Thanks--Jerry

• 2 weeks later...

JerryB I heard that the Horton fan clutch for the later model Macks were p.o.s. be careful. Horton started using china made bearings and the increased heat load on the E.G.R. engines caused alot of problems. I saw for myself one come apart on a peterbilt out in arizona while it was parked at the Petro in Eloy AZ. Went through the guy's radiator.If the behr isn't giving trouble I wouldn't mess with it.

THE GREATEST NAME IN TRUCKS

MACK TRUCKS

JerryB I heard that the Horton fan clutch for the later model Macks were p.o.s. be careful. Horton started using china made bearings and the increased heat load on the E.G.R. engines caused alot of problems. I saw for myself one come apart on a peterbilt out in arizona while it was parked at the Petro in Eloy AZ. Went through the guy's radiator.If the behr isn't giving trouble I wouldn't mess with it.

Thanks for your response mackdaddy. I hadn't heard about Horton going Chinese but that sounds about right. The reason I wanted to switch to Horton if possible is that my Behr has been replaced twice in 13 months and has locked itself out again now. Since the Horton is now a POS too I may as well replace the Behr and go on. Once again my thanks and well wishes. Jerry

Thanks for your response mackdaddy. I hadn't heard about Horton going Chinese but that sounds about right. The reason I wanted to switch to Horton if possible is that my Behr has been replaced twice in 13 months and has locked itself out again now. Since the Horton is now a POS too I may as well replace the Behr and go on. Once again my thanks and well wishes. Jerry

Jerry I don't think ya can change with out a lot of screwing around anyway the programing is likly all diffrent for the berr fan vers horton!The horton fans have been holding together as of late I think they have learned there lesson!

Jerry I don't think ya can change with out a lot of screwing around anyway the programing is likly all diffrent for the berr fan vers horton!The horton fans have been holding together as of late I think they have learned there lesson!

Thanks fjh. Please let me ask you gentlemen one more dumb question. Do you think the Horton with AC high pressure switch and water manifold sensors would keep the 460 EGR engine cool? and maybe with the Horton I could get the Behr program deleted from ECU?? In 1966 I started trucking with a 1956 B61 integral sleeper and have stayed with Mack through the years but this all electric engine is killing me.

Thanks fjh. Please let me ask you gentlemen one more dumb question. Do you think the Horton with AC high pressure switch and water manifold sensors would keep the 460 EGR engine cool? and maybe with the Horton I could get the Behr program deleted from ECU?? In 1966 I started trucking with a 1956 B61 integral sleeper and have stayed with Mack through the years but this all electric engine is killing me.

The cx you have was replaced by the cxn (Volvo frame Mack engine and cab) that made quite a difrence to the air movment around the engine the engines get warm thats the way they are but this changed helped emencely the best thing for you is to move up a couple of years in truck if possible the troubles have droped off with the newer units the first cx was a big problem for the most part.Having said that the fans often were hit and miss you get two bad ones then a good one.

The cx you have was replaced by the cxn (Volvo frame Mack engine and cab) that made quite a difrence to the air movment around the engine the engines get warm thats the way they are but this changed helped emencely the best thing for you is to move up a couple of years in truck if possible the troubles have droped off with the newer units the first cx was a big problem for the most part.Having said that the fans often were hit and miss you get two bad ones then a good one.

Thanks again fjh. That sounds like sound advice to me. I've spotted a midroof 2006 CX that I like the looks of so I'll check it out tomorrow.

Edited by JerryB