5 Speed Pto

jdazimuth

Looking to put a pto on my 77 MB, 237 with a TR720 5 speed. Single speed should be fine for a dump. Hoping to find original instead of going new muncie route. If anyone has part numbers, leads on purchasing and or tips to installing I would appreciate the help. Thanks and great forum.

John

Looking to put a pto on my 77 MB, 237 with a TR720 5 speed. Single speed should be fine for a dump. Hoping to find original instead of going new muncie route. If anyone has part numbers, leads on purchasing and or tips to installing I would appreciate the help. Thanks and great forum.

John

A 77 MB with a 237 should have a TRL107 or TRL1076 or 1078 if it's a 5 speed.

Pull the plate off the PTO opening in the side of the trans and make sure there is a PTO drive gear in there, I've seen some that didn't have a PTO drive gear from the factory.

Not a big deal if there isn't one, you can install a PTO drive gear without removing & disassembling the trans.

"If You Can't Shift It Smoothly, You Shouldn't Be Driving It"

Thanks all. It is a TR722. Don't know why. This is the same problem I am having with local yards, they are insisting that it is a 107. It is a single shaft, cast iron, and has 722 stamped right above the tetroid gear logo right behind and above the left side pto opening.

John

Thanks all. It is a TR722. Don't know why. This is the same problem I am having with local yards, they are insisting that it is a 107. It is a single shaft, cast iron, and has 722 stamped right above the tetroid gear logo right behind and above the left side pto opening.

John

Glider kit, put together with a little of this and a little of that?

That 722 would never be installed behind a 237 from the factory.

Is the truck a MB685, or is it a MB611 or 609 or 607?

If it's a 611, 609 or 607, then it would have originally had a thermodyne engine, which would account for the TR722 transmission, then maybe someone transplanted the 237 Maxidyne engine into it at some point.

An MB685 would be factory equipped with a ENDT675, 237 hp Maxidyne, and would have the 107 series transmission.

Or, if it is indeed a MB685, maybe it originally had an Allison automatic, and the Allison took a dump (as they usually do), and someone converted it to manual by putting that TR722 in it.

"If You Can't Shift It Smoothly, You Shouldn't Be Driving It"