Bulldog Reclaims Record Down Under

Bulldog Reclaims Record Down Under

LEHIGH VALLEY, PA (March 16, 2006) - Along the east coast of Australia, under a hot late-February sun, 70-year old truck driver John Atkinson climbs behind the wheel of a Mack Titan model. Anxiously looking on is a crowd of 8,000 people, including officials from the Guinness Book of Records. In Atkinson's rear view mirror, hooked to the Titan, are 113 loaded trailers stretching back nearly a mile along the main road of Clifton, a tiny town on the Darling Downs nestled near Toowoomba. Atkinson's job? Harness the power of the heavy-duty Mack tractor to move this 2,865,980-pound load 328 feet (100 meters) and recapture the record for the longest road train (multiple loaded trailers) ever pulled with a single prime mover (road tractor).

Although the Titan's job this day is to haul more than one hundred times its own weight, it is simply a base tri-drive (3 drive axles or 8x6) model - no modifications necessary - built at Mack's Wacol factory located west of Brisbane.

Despite the soaring temperatures, Atkinson, with 50 years of transport industry experience, remains cool, having been at the helm in 2003 when Mack last set the record. Like last time, the event is also a fundraiser for a cancer care charity. But this year, there are eight times as many spectators! No big deal for Atkinson. With steely nerves and the 18-speed clutch-work of a seasoned veteran, he eases the Titan's 620-horsepower engine into gear, and the long train starts forward.

The result? Mack once again holds the prized record - further demonstrating that the company's trucks truly are bred for big jobs.

"We are all extremely proud of this achievement," said Gary Bone, senior vice president, Mack Trucks Australia. "It took a great truck and a great driver to set this world record, and luckily we have both."

"But, at the end of the day, records are set to be broken," Bone added. "The most important thing is that we helped raise funds for a great cause and gave a small community something to remember. That's what I am most proud of."

I talked to Dallas Fabian about this a few weeks ago! He said it a yearly tradition Down Under and Mack has dominated the challenge almost every year!

bmodel_logo.png
Barry - Watt's Truck Center Parts Manager and BMT Webmaster...1-888-304-MACK

Mack looks to be the only company down under that makes a line of trucks specifically for road train operation (Trident, Superliner and the Titan). Raised cab for better airflow to keep the cab cooler, well placed air snorkels with filters under the cab (or hood I forget). And a large oversized hood and radiator to help with cooling. Tri-drive or tandem planetary hub end reduction axles from Renault help with the 170+ ton loads.

The only other two American companies serious about road trains are Western Star and Kenworth. The Europeans and Japanese aren’t anywhere on the radar except for smaller B train or tandem operation. Mack is the top selling road train truck followed by Kenworth and Western Star last I herd. Once the MP10 arrives I am sure Mack will be another step ahead of the competition.

-Thad

What America needs is less bull and more Bulldog!

• 3 weeks later...

If only my 237 & 5 spd. could do that.....

find a real low gear and I bet it could :SMOKIE-RT:

that 600HP is for the big roads. I dought he used all 600 ponys to pull that :idunno:

more important how much weight was on the drives and what suspention did it have??

regardless its good to see a Mack in the News

Trent