Do I Have A B-75 Or B-85? Also Need Exh. Manifold

gmbelt

I have a 1962 Mack fire truck; the Mack manufacturers plate by the pump panel says Model: B85F. However, if you look at the attached photos, you will see on the hood the emblem that says "B75". The photo of the other side of the hood shows the emblem missing, but you can see the outline of when the emblem was there and it also says "B75". Is this just a case of someone using the emblems available at the time? I also included a photo of the entire truck.

Also, the mechanic tells me that I need to replace the exhaust manifold which has several cracks in it. The engine is a Mack 707 and any help as to where I can start looking and the likely cost would be appreciated.

Many Thanks,

Gary M. Belt

Manassas, VA

post-2918-1243538952.jpg

post-2918-1243538968.jpg

post-2918-1243538977.jpg

Gary, chances are that someone either used readily available emblems, or the hood has been changed through the years but it is hard to say.

I don't know where to tell you about a manifold but yours could possibly be repaired as I've done several. Snap a photo of the manifold so I could evaluate further.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Gary

The B75 had a 464 or 510 engine and 750GPM pump, (and there were only 54 built). The B85 had the 707 engine and 750GPM pump. so to confirm you should check the right frame rail above the front axle to see the serial number which is stamped in the frame and should be able to confirm if the serial number starts with B75 or B85. If it was a B75 someone swapped the engine or a B85 and someone swapped the emblems.

Firemack

Gary

The B75 had a 464 or 510 engine and 750GPM pump, (and there were only 54 built). The B85 had the 707 engine and 750GPM pump. so to confirm you should check the right frame rail above the front axle to see the serial number which is stamped in the frame and should be able to confirm if the serial number starts with B75 or B85. If it was a B75 someone swapped the engine or a B85 and someone swapped the emblems.

Firemack

I'll check the frame rail the first chance I get. Any suggestions on locating an exhaust manifold.

Gary

I have a 1962 Mack fire truck; the Mack manufacturers plate by the pump panel says Model: B85F. However, if you look at the attached photos, you will see on the hood the emblem that says "B75". The photo of the other side of the hood shows the emblem missing, but you can see the outline of when the emblem was there and it also says "B75". Is this just a case of someone using the emblems available at the time? I also included a photo of the entire truck.

Also, the mechanic tells me that I need to replace the exhaust manifold which has several cracks in it. The engine is a Mack 707 and any help as to where I can start looking and the likely cost would be appreciated.

Many Thanks,

Gary M. Belt

Manassas, VA

I forgot to ask earlier: Did that truck belong to the Bureau County Fire Dept. in Illinois? They have a very nice B model tanker that they still run and it is only about 70 miles from me.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

I forgot to ask earlier: Did that truck belong to the Bureau County Fire Dept. in Illinois? They have a very nice B model tanker that they still run and it is only about 70 miles from me.

Rob

Rob:

This 1962 Mack (with a 1,500 gallon tank) hails from the Eastwood Fire Protection Bureau in Carter County Missouri.

Gary

Gary

Firemack

I may be wrong here but didn't the B85's have a big squared off style of grill shell :idunno: ? Is it definately a 707? Or as suggested someone put parts on, or you have a one off oddball that was custom ordered. ;)

#1 on A-model registry

If I drink because of work, why can't I drink at work?

hi,

I dont know why but the fire trucks are numbered differently than the regular trucks, I have a guy that has lots of 707 parts, if you have a 707 that is. The best way to find out what engine you have is to look for the engine number. should be en707.. The man with the 707 parts number is 1-256-233-2336 name is bob hickman. He has two engines that he is parting out.

Fred

15 gears...no waiting!