Big Aussie Mack

Howdy, There are four of these in a yard in Western Australia.

All four have Mack V8 power. Three with quads and the other is allison auto.

All four have fifth wheels.

Enjoy.

Barry

Differant. and whats the story behind these? for sale? what mack v8?

Grant

That's a cab for an "R" but the front end looks like special Aussie design for the twin steer. Looks to be a real beast. Probably short heavy runs and not for road train use. Hope it's warm there, it was -2 degrees fahrenheit this AM.

#1 on A-model registry

If I drink because of work, why can't I drink at work?

Those look like custom built heavy haulers. Are they from factory or built from Mack parts? You have any more pictures or bigger shots of them? If you found them on a web site please give us the link. Looks like it has 24" rubber and might have 65-80 K rears or planidrive axles.

Looks like a V8 Valuliner with a steel hood on steroids.

-Thad

What America needs is less bull and more Bulldog!

Hello,

I will be going past these trucks today so I will get some more pictures and post them in a few days when im back.

The trucks were built by Mack in the US and shipped in a knocked down form then assembled here. They were used for pulling 100 ton belly dumper trailers.

The one that was changed to allison trans as a trial wasnt very successful with retarder / heat problems.

Diffs and rear suspension look the same as your regular 44's on camelback but on steroids, twice the size.

Engines are Mack V8's. Ive been told they are an early version of the E9. 475hp

Its an early R cab. 24"wheels.

They are not for sale and have / are being wrecked for the diffs and rear suspension for some other 6x4 dumpers he has.

Barry

Barry

Basil700 said:

Hello,

I will be going past these trucks today so I will get some more pictures and post them in a few days when im back.

The trucks were built by Mack in the US and shipped in a knocked down form then assembled here. They were used for pulling 100 ton belly dumper trailers.

The one that was changed to allison trans as a trial wasnt very successful with retarder / heat problems.

Diffs and rear suspension look the same as your regular 44's on camelback but on steroids, twice the size.

They are not for sale and have / are being wrecked for the diffs and rear suspension for some other 6x4 dumpers he has.

Barry

WHAT! What a shame, I feel like calling the owner a sack of S#@T but then again they are his trucks he can do what he wants. Damn even if the rears were removed they would still be worth restoring.

-Thad

There are a small group of us including the original driver of Number #32# pictured are going to try and save this one. It doesnt matter who's shed it ends up in as long as it stays together.

Alot of people have been trying to buy it over the years.

The other three are in a sad state but this one is reasonably complete.

I will let you know what the outcome is in the future.

Barry

It doesnt matter who's shed it ends up in as long as it stays together.

I could not agree more Barry. It does not matter WHO, but WHAT.

Well done. I wish you all the best. Rod.

Proud owner of;

1961 Mack B61 prime mover.

1981 International ACCO 1810C DualCab Fire Truck

Barry.Thanks for pictures.I hope your wish to purchase one of them comes true. Do you know what kind of Quadbox was used in them? It must be a heavier one than standard to handle torque of 475 HP.Copuld it possibly be a married Spicer Box they used? Anyway Good luck on your endeavors. Joe D.

Hi Basil

I'm thinking these Macks were built for Goldsworthy Mining from Perth in '73

They were 375hp thermodynes (ENDT866) with 12 sp maxitorque air shift transmissions and mack 80,000 lb bogies on 14.00 24 tyres.

They were designated A8 R897RSX

They pulled gaint tippers for their time 31 feet long and 10ft6 wide The tipper sides were 1/2inch plate and 3/4 inch for the floor GVM was 104 tons

Yes R Models on Steroids

Steve

post-2104-1233958372_thumb.jpg

Hello,

Barry

Barry

Hi Barry, yeh it would be great to see one of these monsters preserved or at least saved. They were designed and built in Brisbane by Macks engineering team, headed by Max Evans, the rear end was an SWD69, 80,000lbs bogie. It would be good to see more pictures of them as they are now though. Jeffro

Hello Again,

Brilliant to see a picture of one of these in new condition and great info about them, thankyou.

#32# has two sticks so I assumed it to be a quadruplex.

I dont want particuarly want one for myself but would like to see one saved and are willing to help in the cause.

Barry

Thanks for that picture and information Steve!

Barry if it had 2 sticks it was the older 2 stick 12 speed, it had a stick for shifting into the deep reduction range instead of a dash mounted air switch. You get a chance to snap a picture of the units? Would also be nice to know if the remains could be purchased sans axles. 80k Mack rears aren't hard to find.

-Thad