A Question Even Rob Can't Answer

other dog

I stay at the Holiday Inn Express and put it on the company card. Don't know...don't care what it costs.............LOL!!!!!

Have to agree, the reverse math is NOT logical and using totals from two different math equations.

The guys paid $10 each x3 = $30

they got $3 back, so they guys paid $27 TOTAL. No matter what.

The clerk got $2 in his pocket, no matter what. The differences in the two equations are the rounded cents(like previously noted) but you can't mix the two since mathematically it doesn't come out an even number.

exactly-that's the facts!

"...that don't make no sense!"- Pete ( Oh Brother Where Art Thow )

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.

Its a trick question. They deliberately tell you they paid nine dollars for the room when in fact they did not. They paid ten, refunded 5 but the clerk pocketed 2. Nine dollars is thrown in to fool you into using their bad math and confuse you. In reality each man paid 10, multiplied by three is 30. Take away two the clerk pocketed and you are left with 28. Now just divide the 28 by 3 and you get 9.333~. Or the simple formula of (30-2)/3 which is 9.333~ dollars. They leave out the .333~ to fool you.

yeah, but-they paid ten each but a dollar refund each means they actually paid nine each, regardless of what happened to the two dollars. and 9x3 is 27,plus those other 2 dollars is 29 total,so...so...I just don't know

Ok lets just say that when the manager found out that the clerk kept two dollars he got mad and told him to give the three guys the two bucks back,so the clerk decided to give one guy a dollar and the other two got 50 cents each, so now one guy ended up paying 8 dollars and the other two ended up paying 8.50 each,so 8+8.50+8.50=25,no more missing dollar.

I stay at the Holiday Inn Express and put it on the company card. Don't know...don't care what it costs.............LOL!!!!!

Have to agree, the reverse math is NOT logical and using totals from two different math equations.

The guys paid $10 each x3 = $30

they got $3 back, so they guys paid $27 TOTAL. No matter what.

The clerk got $2 in his pocket, no matter what. The differences in the two equations are the rounded cents(like previously noted) but you can't mix the two since mathematically it doesn't come out an even number.

Thanks for your clarification, they did indeed pay pay $9.00 each $8,33 to the motel and $.67 to the clerk for a total of $27.00.

Ok lets just say that when the manager found out that the clerk kept two dollars he got mad and told him to give the three guys the two bucks back,so the clerk decided to give one guy a dollar and the other two got 50 cents each, so now one guy ended up paying 8 dollars and the other two ended up paying 8.50 each,so 8+8.50+8.50=25,no more missing dollar.

but-what if they took back a dollar each,and gave the clerk the other 2 back so they didn't have to divide it,and he could get a coke and a pack of snack crackers out of the vending machine on the way back to the lobby? that's 9x3 again,plus the 2

This has been very amusing. I sent it to a buddy of mine who is currently in Irac. He then posed the question to several other Navy men. It seems it kept them busy for quite some time and they came to no definate conclusion. At the very least it served to amuse them and take thier mind off the place thier in. They all thank you.

Chuck

I didn't make this up, i'm not that smart. I first heard this on the CB radio one night years ago, and it got a discussion going pretty much like this one. The driver that first told it said there was no answer and not even a computer could figure it out-I think he was right.

I didn't make this up, i'm not that smart. I first heard this on the CB radio one night years ago, and it got a discussion going pretty much like this one. The driver that first told it said there was no answer and not even a computer could figure it out-I think he was right.

Its a brain teaser question/riddle that throws bad math at you to throw you off.

Here is a page with many explanations like mine. The riddle is slightly different but follows the same bad logic and math.

-Thad

What America needs is less bull and more Bulldog!

Its a brain teaser question/riddle that throws bad math at you to throw you off.

Here is a page with many explanations like mine. The riddle is slightly different but follows the same bad logic and math.

hey, pretty neat- that's the exact same question. i'd never heard it before except that night on the cb many years ago. still, 9x3 is 27,plus the 2...looks like it should...i mean...it...i understand the logic...but they're saying the 2 dollars was actually paid as a tip to make the price $27 instead of $25-what if they tore up the $2 and flushed it-the actual bill was $25 then, 9x3 is still 27, plus the 2 in the toilet makes 29...it still don't make no sense! just depends on how ya look at it.

but-what if they took back a dollar each,and gave the clerk the other 2 back so they didn't have to divide it,and he could get a coke and a pack of snack crackers out of the vending machine on the way back to the lobby? that's 9x3 again,plus the 2

That sounds good at least the clerk get something for all his running back and forth BUT its minus 2 not plus 2 and that comes to 25 dollars paid for the room by three guys,30 first laid out then they got 3 back minus the 2 bucks the cherk kept = 25 dollers paid by three guys .The catch is the puzzle makes you think you have to add two dallars when in fack you have to subtract.

Well, I might as well throw in my two cents. I taught diesel technology for a good while and this is a question that we used to pose to new students to teach critical thinking.

" they each paid $10 initially for a total of $30, they each got back $1 so now they have paid $9 each for a total of $27 (still true) PLUS THE BELLBOY HAS $2 THAT MAKES $29 (FALSE!). The three guys paid $9 each for a total of $27, the clerk downstairs has $25 and the bellboy has $2 which equals $27. The three men each got a total of $1 back which, when added to the $25 downstairs and the $2 in the bellboy's pocket, brings us back to the original $30.

Try this in a bar and you will eventually get toodrunk to try to keep explaining it.

Here is another one to ponder. You are racing with one other person on a 1-mile oval track. The race is two miles long (or two laps). Your opponent does both laps at 60 mph. You do your first lap at 30 mph. How fast would you have to run your second lap to beat (or at least tie) your opponent.

I need another beer. Happy New Year.

mechanoman

Well, I might as well throw in my two cents. I taught diesel technology for a good while and this is a question that we used to pose to new students to teach critical thinking.

" they each paid $10 initially for a total of $30, they each got back $1 so now they have paid $9 each for a total of $27 (still true) PLUS THE BELLBOY HAS $2 THAT MAKES $29 (FALSE!). The three guys paid $9 each for a total of $27, the clerk downstairs has $25 and the bellboy has $2 which equals $27. The three men each got a total of $1 back which, when added to the $25 downstairs and the $2 in the bellboy's pocket, brings us back to the original $30.

Try this in a bar and you will eventually get toodrunk to try to keep explaining it.

Here is another one to ponder. You are racing with one other person on a 1-mile oval track. The race is two miles long (or two laps). Your opponent does both laps at 60 mph. You do your first lap at 30 mph. How fast would you have to run your second lap to beat (or at least tie) your opponent.

I need another beer. Happy New Year.

mechanoman

can't be done-he's finished already...right? I think he finished 2 laps while I was finishing one. But it doesnt matter-i'll have another one too.