1979 ENDT 675 camshaft

52 minutes ago, mechohaulic said:

cam/ lifters install may be a no brainer :: based on experience the cam install may be a challenge if your doing it yourself.  plenty of lube, first couple of ports not bad, as the cam goes in further balancing it straight in to journals is an experience. it tends to wobble thus hitting the lifters knocking them out of place. have done EVERY scenario= load from front. or install part way then go under reaching up ( one reason my back is done) gliding cam in with a guarantee to pinch fingers. best advice is get a helper that has half knowledge of mechanics or at least follow directions.  having helper WATCH YOUR FINGERS cam works like a meat slicer. repeat these words """"HELPER PLEASE GO SLOW AND LISTEN TO ME when to push cam .

I do have a son who is also mechanically inclined that I taught auto and light truck mechanics to.  Albeit per 1980"s  but some stuff doesn't change.  Also have a son in law who has his own truck that does alot of his own work,  so I think I am good for a GOOD helper when it comes time.

Today is cleaning parts day, worst part, at least for me, in any auto/truck job

• Like 1

Seems I REALLY can't catch a break on this engine. Seems the camshaft I picked up last winter has a lrger journal on the rear than the one out of the engine.  My bad, I didn't go to the dealer and get a part number to cross reference.  This one showed 454GC580.  Guess I make a trip to dealer and get a part number before i start looking

@heinz57 if Heinz knows how to look up the old VIN's he may be able to help you out. I don't think cam is available from Mack anymore.

Also, you should be able to send your camshaft to Berry Cams, they should be able to repair your damaged lobe.

http://www.berrycammn.com/

320-395-2377

I have never used them, but it's worth a call.

I believe yours is "new" enough Impact would have info on it. I've looked up a couple of E6's before. Outside that I don't think I have anything else to look up. I'd need the old part number your truck had or your truck's VIN.

Also, I'm extremely unreliable this week. Running solo in the shop so I don't have any downtime to check this forum out before I leave for the day. 

19 hours ago, The Heinz said:

I believe yours is "new" enough Impact would have info on it. I've looked up a couple of E6's before. Outside that I don't think I have anything else to look up. I'd need the old part number your truck had or your truck's VIN.

Also, I'm extremely unreliable this week. Running solo in the shop so I don't have any downtime to check this forum out before I leave for the day. 

19 hours ago, The Heinz said:

The part number my Mack guy at the dealer gave me was 454GC568B which according to PAI they had several in warehouses across the US  Guess I'll see when I get the cam.  Also just a FYI my VIN is MR685P1202.  All the newer guys around tell me that isn't a good heavy truck VIN, hench why I just go to the dealer.

Posted (edited)

Took a little bit to figure this out, but as long as an ENDT675 is the same as what Impact says is ENDTB675, you have the correct camshaft part number, and PAI does show stock of their version ECM-9002. 

This is also the oldest Mack I've searched parts for. 

Edited by The Heinz
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, The Heinz said:

Took a little bit to figure this out, but as long as an ENDT675 is the same as what Impact says is ENDTB675, you have the correct camshaft part number, and PAI does show stock of their version ECM-9002. 

This is also the oldest Mack I've searched parts for. 

I ordered the camshaft that PAI shows for the Mack # 454GC568B  UPS says I should have it tomorrow. (WOW, only ordered it yesterday afternoon)  The camshaft I got that the original description saying it was for the ENDT 673, 675 & 676 was supposedly 454GC580.  It has the larger diameter 7th journal. (Sealed Power CS-851)  As near as I could tell other than that the camshafts are the same.  Maybe that's the difference between a dynatard engine and a non dynatard engine

Just curious?? How do you install a cam if the 7 th journal is larger? How could it start in the block?  I have only done a couple of these 673-675's, so i dont have a lot knowledge.

• Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, Joey Mack said:

Just curious?? How do you install a cam if the 7 th journal is larger? How could it start in the block?  I have only done a couple of these 673-675's, so i dont have a lot knowledge.

The 7th isn't larger than the rest of the journals.  They are all the same size.  The cam for my engine has a smaller diameter 7 th journal.  The book just describes the cam as a larger diameter 7th journal

Just now, Joey Mack said:

ok... thanks,,  Sure hope the new cam is what you need, jojo

Well  according to those who are suppose to know this stuff, it is.  Guess I'll find out tomorrow afternoon

• Like 2

The new camshaft from PAI arrived last nite. Only ordered it tuesday afternoon.  Got it in no problem.  Question - Is there anything other than timing marks I should be paying attention to and also what is the accepted procedure to break in the cam?

• Like 1

another quick question. When I opened the gasket set to get ready to put the timing cover on, I noticed lead wire (kinda like thick solder) about maybe 15 inches long.  I don't remember seeing anything like this on disassembly.  Am I missing something or is this possibly used somewhere else in the engine that I haven't been into on this repair.  The set is a front/lower end gasket set from PAI 

the thick solder is what us old folk considered a rear crankshaft seal . should be a regular type seal for rear crankshaft housing, with a wear ring . supppose to use a fancy seal/ ring installer

• Haha 1

if the engine has the old style lead seal/ proper housing ; you would NOT notice it if it is still in the rear crank housing . would appear to be part of. your engine has a regular style rear seal - should have correct housing. 

• Like 1

Sorry about all the questions, but should I mess with the end play adjustment on the timing cover.  have yet to find in the service manual where this is addressed.  Maybe I'm just blind  LOL