Steering Box Mack 700 SuperLiner 1985

That’s really weird. I’m pretty sure in California. It’s illegal to run recaps on the front. Also, thinking back when I was going over bumps my cruise liner would seem to jump from side to side as you mentioned. But might be hard to tell driving a cab over going over bumps your bouncing all over the place anyway sitting right over the wheels frankly, I don’t think it’s a good idea to mount  them there. Plus I don’t know why they would think of doing that to begin with where as you mentioned steering box is constantly moving, especially on a really rough road.

Re gooved tires are prohibited, re capped are not. Re-cap are prohibited on passenger (bus) steer. It is in the federal (Green book) register.

Smaller truck tires (lighter) up to a certain ply rating/ weight limit may be re-grooved, it the tire says "regooveable" .

I went through the same CVSA course the truck-cops did, a few were in my class. That was in the book.

• Like 1

I drove a Superliner a long time ago for  a little bit  with the steering box on the axle like that.  I don't remember anything out of the ordinary as far as how the truck felt.

I also remember in the early '90s they were a hard item to find back then.  

• Like 2