2017 Mack Anthem no crank…no start

Recently purchased 3 of 2017 Mack Anthems with M8? Mack engines

i have one that suddenly has a no crank no start issue….tirn the n key and dash lights up….checked all fuses and relays in the under dash and under hood fuse panels and they were good…I’m not at all familiar with these and have no resource information for diagnostic ….I know it’s not much information on my part to go on but does anyone have some suggestions on where to start with diagnosing? I’ve read the starter won’t work unless the starter relay has the green light from the ecm….put a n a remote starter switch and cranked with key on but it didn’t attempt to fire….also I can get an hour reading on the dash display…I’ve read that can be an indicator for a bad ecm..

any help is much appreciated 

4 hours ago, Boxler1066 said:

Recently purchased 3 of 2017 Mack Anthems with M8? Mack engines

i have one that suddenly has a no crank no start issue….tirn the n key and dash lights up….checked all fuses and relays in the under dash and under hood fuse panels and they were good…I’m not at all familiar with these and have no resource information for diagnostic ….I know it’s not much information on my part to go on but does anyone have some suggestions on where to start with diagnosing? I’ve read the starter won’t work unless the starter relay has the green light from the ecm….put a n a remote starter switch and cranked with key on but it didn’t attempt to fire….also I can get an hour reading on the dash display…I’ve read that can be an indicator for a bad ecm..

any help is much appreciated 

A bad ecm is quite possible we had this happen a few times if you don’t have hours and miles showing up it’s a good possibility!

Don't have any experience with MP's, but it's possible to have a "dead spot" on the starter or have a bad relay on the starter itself. On my 12v Cummins I had to take jumper cables from the battery right to the starter motor once to get back home.  But my 12v has slot less electronics....

42 minutes ago, JoeH said:

Don't have any experience with MP's, but it's possible to have a "dead spot" on the starter or have a bad relay on the starter itself. On my 12v Cummins I had to take jumper cables from the battery right to the starter motor once to get back home.  But my 12v has slot less electronics....

the way I read it ! It Cranks but won't start Joe !  could be wrong though!

I was going to say you may just have a bad starter (MP starters suck, I've replaced several myself), but if you don't have hours showing, you could have something more going on. I've never personally seen something like that so I can't say for certain. My favorite way of testing starters on a road call was having the driver turn the key while I beat the tar out of the starter. Would it have been smarter to check voltage while the key is turned? Probably, but beating a starter was fun and cathartic. I'll ask our foreman for more info to see if he has an idea about an ECU issue. 

Also how's your batteries? Maybe you have a couple battery cells failing and you don't have enough juice to turn ecm on or work the starter. Gotta start with the basics, not the expensive crap!

Starter and batteries seem to be fine…it won’t crank using keyswitch so I triggered starter solenoid to crank it over with key in run position and it will crank over that way but will not attempt to fire

8 hours ago, Boxler1066 said:

Starter and batteries seem to be fine…it won’t crank using keyswitch so I triggered starter solenoid to crank it over with key in run position and it will crank over that way but will not attempt to fire

Brother its a tow job a dealer will have to deal with this Service call maybe! If you just shut it off for a coffee or what ever and now it won't show hours of mileage in the dash its very likely the ECM! How ever someone got to confirm this! Could be a bad wire to ! Got to get it confirmed!

Possibly Joey! Like joeh was saying you got to check the cheap and easy! However……. I went on a service call a few years back to a situation same as this same symptom's after all the simple stuff and the starter jump over test it was the ecu!

• Like 2

I guess he could hook a jumper cable to neg. On the batteries and then on the frame.. simple Free test..  tough to diagnose from 600 miles away.. :)

Yeah, I asked our foreman, and it's about what FJH said above: a tow job. Unfortunately with these Volvo fakers, getting anything diagnosed takes Premium Tech Tool, which comes at a Premium Cost in both how much it costs and how strong of a computer you need for it to work half a darn. The ignition itself fails all the time on these, the tumbler and sometimes the actual switch itself. The cluster issues could be the cluster, could be the VECU, could be the ECM. Can't say for sure without being there to diag sadly. Hope you can get some answers soon though! 

39 minutes ago, The Heinz said:

Yeah, I asked our foreman, and it's about what FJH said above: a tow job. Unfortunately with these Volvo fakers, getting anything diagnosed takes Premium Tech Tool, which comes at a Premium Cost in both how much it costs and how strong of a computer you need for it to work half a darn. The ignition itself fails all the time on these, the tumbler and sometimes the actual switch itself. The cluster issues could be the cluster, could be the VECU, could be the ECM. Can't say for sure without being there to diag sadly. Hope you can get some answers soon though! 

Never seen an ignition fail on these thanks for posting that Heinz ! not much choice an expensive service call or Tow job or A parts canon all not cheap! A  CRAP SHOOT! 

4 minutes ago, fjh said:

Never seen an ignition fail on these thanks for posting that Heinz ! not much choice an expensive service call or Tow job or A parts canon all not cheap! A  CRAP SHOOT! 

No problem. I still have several tubes of graphite we used to keep the cylinders from sticking all the time. It was supposed to be a recall from what I was told, but we never got any under warranty. If anyone actually looks for the switch itself in Impact, it's usually found under Harness, Steering Column, usually named "Wires." 

5 minutes ago, The Heinz said:

No problem. I still have several tubes of graphite we used to keep the cylinders from sticking all the time. It was supposed to be a recall from what I was told, but we never got any under warranty. If anyone actually looks for the switch itself in Impact, it's usually found under Harness, Steering Column, usually named "Wires." 

Typical ! Couldn't be under something sensible like switches! 😡 Backwards Sweeds 

• Like 1