Alcoa stud pilot front wheel lug nuts

Would anyone happen to know what lug nuts were used on the B model (front/steer) Alcoa or Accuride stud piloted wheels? Were they anything special? My wheels are the 3 piece locking ring type 20" wheels. I just want to make sure I'm mounting these wheels correctly. I'm putting things back to original, because the truck had steel Budd wheels put on it years ago. Thanks very much for any help. 

image.thumb.jpeg.ed41172e68b7a16b6d5c112d509f7fd5.jpeg

• Like 2

This is a bit off topic but being both of you have bud wheels on your b models do you know of any front bud axles for sale I have aluminum rear but Dayton front

If your going to be a bear be a grizzly

Posted (edited)

Thanks for the chart. That's good information. The problem I'm having is that I'm not sure if the hubs on my truck were replaced in order to put the Budd steel 22.5 rims on the front. My truck came with the 10 bolt aluminum disc wheels originally. I'm putting aluminum wheels back on it, but the stud length is too short. I'll post a picture of my hub, in case anyone can identify it. Maybe it's the original one for my truck (FA-5221 front axle with no brakes). I hope so.

image.thumb.jpeg.f628f6b2b20c37c544ddd5b0e86c3326.jpeg

Edited by SuperB

I've purchased a set of E5936 studs, but they're only about 1/8" longer than what I have. Maybe if I get the shorter E5977 nuts from the chart, it will get me full thread engagement in the nuts. With the hardware that was on the truck, the nuts have about 3 threads that aren't on the studs.  

I was able to find the number on the hub and it matches the part number on the assembly document for the truck, 6QJ415B. I can't believe I missed it, but at least I know it's just a matter of finding the right studs now.

Meangreen, I don't know of any front axles for sale for your truck, but you could reach out to Kevin All in NY. He is always very helpful and seems to have a lot of parts trucks. You should place a wanted ad on this website also, if you haven't already. I would think you could just replace the hubs on your axle too, if you can't find a whole assembly. Good luck   

Thanks superB I figure it don’t hurt to ask the problem with my truck is it’s a b 42 so my axle is very light I would like to find something that’s newer and hub pilot as that’s what I have in the rear of the truck now and it’s nice to have newer style brake parts. Your truck looks really good ! I see you don’t have front brakes I thought we had to run brakes on all axles in pa ? 

If your going to be a bear be a grizzly

There's Hub Pilot hubs and Stud Pilot hubs.  In the picture of your truck it looks like you have Stud Pilots. The rim's stud holes need to be tapered, and the lug nuts have to be cone shaped.  Our 1979 R686ST is this way.  The lug nut cones center the rim on the hub. On Hub Pilots the rim will not have the cone taper, and the rim will center on the hub by sitting into a casting on the center of the hub. This style requires longer wheel studs.

Also, aluminum rims are fatter than steel around the bolt pattern, so you need longer studs for aluminum than for steel wheels I believe. That could be your issue.  Truck probably had steel rims originally.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

They're polished aluminum wheels, old Alcoa wheels. I was finally able to find studs that are the right length for them. The BWP studs seem to be the longest, because they don't have the really large chamfer on the lug nut end (which makes the thread length a little too short) that some of the other brand studs do. So it looks like I'm good now. Thanks for the help.

I was able to get new window kits for the vintage Stemco caps on the truck. The 5999 ones fit (2 3/4"), and all of the screws came out ok. I guess mine were completely painted over at some point to make it easier to see the oil level in them, but it seemed to make it harder :)    

Edited by SuperB
  • Like 1