Ok guys, I have been creeping around on marketplace and ive fallen in love with an MH613. Its reasonably priced and it has the E6, I know its a great engine, but hear me out... I want to put the MP7 in it. Its roughly the same displacement AND AAAAAND!!! ive seen someone stuffed a 3406 Cat inside of one of these.

The MP7 makes more horsepower and torque and it has parts support from Mack, so that would be a pretty big deal for me. The engine it currently has is running perfectly fine so it would have to be something that i could justify, and also the floor is open to suggestions if you have a "better" engine suggestion that is more practical or would like to present a huge hole in my plan that could derail this idea.

Programing electronics will be a nightmare! Those computer modules cost a fortune and then you need to figure out or find someone to tune them. MH's are known for having some wiring gremlins as are most fiberglass construction vehicles, but it's ok when they have the mechanical engines. Just to have an engine harness made that could reach all the way into the cabin of a cabover (unless maybe you can find a euro cabover harness) would be at least 5-10k.

I'll go slow and take the old E6 engine any day! 

• Like 1

If you're interested in swaps and conversions I'd look into getting one of those Edison electric kits when they come out. Sure you'd have to wire in the engine and hybrid system but then you'd be getting a truck that'll get 10+ mpg and a ton of power and torque. 

I know some purists would kill me but I'd really be interested in seeing an Mh with the Edison system. Coolest looking thing on the road and getting the best MPG would be a dream!!

• Like 1
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, BOBWhite said:

Programing electronics will be a nightmare! Those computer modules cost a fortune and then you need to figure out or find someone to tune them. MH's are known for having some wiring gremlins as are most fiberglass construction vehicles, but it's ok when they have the mechanical engines. Just to have an engine harness made that could reach all the way into the cabin of a cabover (unless maybe you can find a euro cabover harness) would be at least 5-10k.

I'll go slow and take the old E6 engine any day! 

I was looking at an old forum about the e6 and e7 efficiency vs their rivals (mainly cummins) and it boasted that the mack gets between 5 to 6.5 mpg and I was impressed until i saw how slow they had to go to reach those numbers!

There's absolutely no contest vs cat engines you either get speed of a cat or efficiency of the bull dog.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, BOBWhite said:

If you're interested in swaps and conversions I'd look into getting one of those Edison electric kits when they come out. Sure you'd have to wire in the engine and hybrid system but then you'd be getting a truck that'll get 10+ mpg and a ton of power and torque. 

I know some purists would kill me but I'd really be interested in seeing an Mh with the Edison system. Coolest looking thing on the road and getting the best MPG would be a dream!!

That sounds like a VERY cool suggestion. I am jumping straight on the web to creep about this conversion idea.

I want to mention that I have an ENTIRE donor truck. The computer modules are running and everything is alive and well for the most part. My question is how expensive could a custom harness and programming possibly get if I already have everything off of a running truck?

9 minutes ago, fjh said:

Its impressive ! By the way we had A customer years ago that bobtailed his dump truck to from Vancouver Island to Oregon ! And achieved 9 MPG! E6 Super high rears 3:87 ratio I believe! We also had A customer that Achieved  7-8 mpg with a  440 V8 long haul Both these guys really worked hard at it thou ! focus was on fuel mileage!  

I was looking at the V8 and i see that they are harder to find parts for and squeeze fuel efficiency out of. I want to limelight as a trucker in my free time and be able to pull decent fuel economy with it, but I've been spoiled by my modern trucks and the speed of an etech 460. Speaking of the 460 isn't it the same thing as a e7?

yup! E7 highest HP  Version of this 454 !  big change to fuel and block design>  Then changed  to ETECH! 460 and   460 XT> 487 hp   (alleged  )

Have you operated a mechanical E6 or E7 before? They may not have the numbers the modern engines do but at least their numbers are more than just a value in a computer. My dad, who hasn't had much exposure to electronic engine, was very impressed with the little E6. He said it felt like the whole truck was going to flip over if it had much more torque! Pulling out a muddy field with an old Mack is a sight to behold!

Never operated a mechanical mack, I did have a mechanical cummins but it was the 8.3 in an RV. I liked the simplicity of it, I get excited about the thought of making this machine work hard and efficiently. But I also love my speed, how am I supposed to reach interstate speeds and run this thing!? Unless I run that strip of Tennessee where its 55mph for trucks. Anyone manage to make the e6 run fast and get good mpg? What i am asking for is I want to make 6mpg. Anything extra im happy anything less is not very cost effective. 

I had an international with an isx15 and an automatic transmission that I wouldn't dream of trying to haul anything in the mud with. I had half of my axle in the asphalt and I had to call a tow truck because I couldn't rock it out of the little tiny bit of mud. Still love that auto transmission in traffic so I'd happily pay the 500 for the tow but it was very discouraging knowing my 13 speed would easily be able to escape the same thing

two almost identical trucks. X15 565 hp, Allison RDS 4500 trans

one has 3.90 gears, the other has 4.56 gears. 

3.90 geared truck will do over 90 mph, and gets 8-10 mpg LOADED 80,000 lbs on long runs cruise set at 65.

4.56 geared truck tops out around 75, and gets 6-8 MPG on the same long runs same weight cruise set at 65. 

3.90 geared truck is a slug and can not get out of its way, and gets stuck on wet grass loaded.

4.56 geared truck is a race car, and out pulls small cars off traffic lights loaded. and goes through anything you drive it in. 
it is not the engine, or trans. it is the gear ration in the rears that made that international a slug.

• Like 2

when you are up to your armpits in alligators,

it is hard to remember you only came in to drain the swamp..