EN7 valve adjustment tool

CTS2

The owners manual says that I need a special tool to adjust the valves. Part number J-37092.

Do I really need this tool, or is it something that just makes it easier? 

Only planning to adjust the valves due to it not being known how long since they were done, and I will be replacing a leaking rocker cover gasket, so it seemed like a good idea. 

20231212_124601.jpg

20231212_124618.jpg

is this an engine with the dyna tard brake; having large (1 1/8 th ?) lock nut ??if so NO you don't need fancy tool, being around when these first came out (dam there's the age thing again) ;; engines came before the tools. open end wrench and screw driver to adjust. fancy tool just "made life easier" . and it was a pain - in - a==s to use. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

it's ONLY for exhaust rocker having enlarged  dia. due to oil controlling engine brake operation. flip the "brake "switch on ; oil filled the rocker cyl to remove any free clearance ; thus holding exhaust valve open; results of which were very little holding back and a pathetic exhaust noise. 

• Haha 1

now there's a positive for my morale; I still remembered it was an 1 1/8th lock nut. ambitious  person could take an old short screw driver attach (almost said braze it ) a piece of 1/16th ? flat stock long enough to reach across the exhaust adjuster to end of screw driver . some times it was challenging to use flat screw driver to hold only one side of adjuster while tightening 1 1/8 lock nut. as with many fancy/expensive tools today = not using them regular why spend the $$$$: make one.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, mechohaulic said:

now there's a positive for my morale; I still remembered it was an 1 1/8th lock nut. ambitious  person could take an old short screw driver attach (almost said braze it ) a piece of 1/16th ? flat stock long enough to reach across the exhaust adjuster to end of screw driver . some times it was challenging to use flat screw driver to hold only one side of adjuster while tightening 1 1/8 lock nut. as with many fancy/expensive tools today = not using them regular why spend the $$$$: make one.

They offered up lots of special tools over the years most never used by me! Always had a work around for most! to this day they make the dealers buy" essential " tools many of them virtually not needed  for everyday use! The first tools they sent us when the Volvo guys took over was brackets to remove the engines with! This instilled confidence that the product was going to have longevity I guess🤣🙄

• Haha 1

Yep, and the tool set for M-Drives is very expensive. We had to buy it, however, we were not allowed to repair the main box. We had to send it out as a core and install a new reman box. So the tools just sit there on the shelf

1 minute ago, Joey Mack said:

Yep, and the tool set for M-Drives is very expensive. We had to buy it, however, we were not allowed to repair the main box. We had to send it out as a core and install a new reman box. So the tools just sit there on the shelf

EXSATLY 

• Like 1

On 2/28/2024 at 7:13 AM, mechohaulic said:

is this an engine with the dyna tard brake; having large (1 1/8 th ?) lock nut ??if so NO you don't need fancy tool, being around when these first came out (dam there's the age thing again) ;; engines came before the tools. open end wrench and screw driver to adjust. fancy tool just "made life easier" . and it was a pain - in - a==s to use. 

Yes, it has a dynatard engine brake. But at this point I don't know any more than that as I haven't removed the rocker cover yet. 

valve adjusting engines with dynatard not much different then before dynatard came to be . should be intake 16/ exhaust 24. important difference is to make sure exhaust slave cly completely compressed , either push down by hand or turn adjuster in till it bottoms then back off for adjustment. purpose is to empty slave cyl of any oil.so when eng brake applies it will fill slave cyl removing valve /rocker adjustment = holding exhaust valve open and you get to hear the meek putt putt noise.

• Haha 1