Pre-sales, 2000 or 2008 dump truck?

DaveM

Question

I have been looking for a dump truck and found a 2000 RD with a 350 hp, 8ll, no pintle setup.  While I was there a 2008 came in that is also for sale.  Didn't get details because I thought I was not interested but thinking more about it am I?  I know it's one owner in very good shape with 260k miles and is set up for pulling a trailer which I need.   I have been looking for a pre 2002 truck that was Mack and pre-emissions.  It is my understanding in 08 the motors went all Volvo.  Any opinions on the 08 vs the 2000?

Thanks,

Dave 

6 answers to this question

The '08 is probably an MP-7..  Because of my knowledge, I would rather rebuild the RD and have at the least a half million mile truck, than have to deal with any MP.....  and an 8 LL is one of my favorite dump/vocational transmissions.... I'm a ''Negative Nelly'' when it comes to MP's....   Jojo

• Like 1

I assume its a T310M transmission, which is Mack's take on the 8LL. 8 road gears. 4 under, 4 over. The farthest left two holes are LoLo and Lo where Reverse and Lo/LoLo would be in an 8LL. The big difference is the multi speed reverse with the Mack Transmission, which for certain kinds of dump trucking is a very useful option to have. Just know the Mack transmission will cost you a lot more during rebuild/exchange time and honestly all else being equal will probably not last as long as an 8LL. With that said I would prefer to have the Mack T310M over an 8LL in my truck. 

2008 was a horrible year for heavy duty diesel emissions standards. It was like no manufacturer was prepared and just put out a bunch of garbage that didn't work and the customers suffered. A friend of mine had two 2008 MP8 Pinnacles or whatever they were called at the time and they were literal rolling pieces of shit. The mufflers had more wires coming out of them than a space shuttle and they spent more time at the dealer than working. I could not imagine owning a 2008 that's pushing 20 years old now. Do yourself a favor. Buy the 2000 RD, fix or overhaul whatever it needs, and go to work. You will be better off.....

• Like 1

Sorry, yes it's a T310M in the 08.  It seemed slower in LL and LR than the 8LL did but they are still a lot faster than my old 79 2 stick DM.  Backing equipment it helps me to be able to go slow at times.

More of the story.  Mack sold 08 new and has done all of the service work other than brakes and such.  I pulled all the service records and it has been pretty minimal other than replacing both rear chunks in the last 5 years.  It has 218k miles on it.

I was going after the 2000 until I raised the bed and looked.  Both rails are jacked from the cab to the tail.  I am talking at least an inch gap between the top flanges of the rails.  looking underneath from the back the frames look like a snake crossing the road.  There are not any cracks in the frames yet but I don't really see how.  I considered getting it and finding replacement rails then noticed these newer trucks weld the bed pivot points to the main frame rails where my 79 has a separate bed frame with the pivots that attaches to the main frame.  It looks like a chore to swap rails in one of these newer trucks.

Don't laugh but I noticed a big ugly silver canister thing under the passenger side of the cab.  The sales guy said that was the DEF apparatus so I asked where the DEF tank was.  After some "research' on his phone the answer was it is for emissions but DEF did not get added until 2010.  Yes it was 2 people that don't know what they are looking at trying to come up with an explanation.

Still waiting to see what they are asking for the 08.  It may be moot in any case if they are not reasonable.  I can't see the 2000 as an option now with a bad frame and 800K on everything else.

• Like 1